Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm Tell you what, man. I believe in factual analysis and level-headed criticism, so I'll make sure to finish it first and let it all sink in before going on one of my rants. Check the RE thread in a few days. ;)
:D ok, deal!
KSubzero1000 wrote: February 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm At the part where I realized that my inputs didn't really matter and that I would be having 90% of the same experience from watching it on YouTube.
When you asked whether there was anything you should know going in, my fingers hovered over the keyboard momentarily before deciding bringing this up would help no one. :)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm At the part where I realized that my inputs didn't really matter and that I would be having 90% of the same experience from watching it on YouTube.
...What? So by this you`re saying that the game is very linear and scripted and there`s no change in the experience, that to me is crazy especially since you brought up Youtube because I played the beginning of that game and then went to youtube to see a playthrough and it was pretty different from what I had.

This might a hard sell since you seem to be disliking the game enough already but I would advise to play on Madhouse if you`re playing it on normal, to me that`s the dificulty RE veterans should all be playing from the get go, I liked the game well enough on normal but it was Madhouse that really made me appreciatte it, maybe for you it will save the game from being a complete disaster I dont know.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Someone gifted me XCOM 2 and it's the first time I've had such a recent game to play. Started it tonight and had a TPK two missions in a row. I'm all in, now!
James

Post by James »

Been playing very little since a mid-January blitz. Any gaming time I have had has gone into Street Fighter V. Not to say that I've played as much of that as I ought, just a couple of sessions clearing weekly missions, and in the training room.

I'm not sure why, but not feeling all that inspired by games (new or backlogged) right now. Should probably just fire up something, play, and get over it... but I could equally see my gaming year being Volume 7 games, SFV, and Dark Souls Remastered. Not exactly a hardship.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

James wrote: February 6th, 2018, 9:18 am I could equally see my gaming year being Volume 7 games, SFV, and Dark Souls Remastered.
Looking at the Volume 7 lineup, you could do a lot worse than that, man. Seems like a perfectly agreeable course of action to me. :)
James

Post by James »

Yeah, true. :-) Just saddened by my distinct lack of excitement for the vast majority of new games I know about. I'm sure there'll be plenty to get excited for once this malaise wears off.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Thanks to ThirdMan, I've been playing a fair bit of Drop7 on mobile. Great game, though the first week was spent figuring out the rules.

I've also been playing some I Expect You to Die, a VR escape-the-room type game. Lots of fun, and the theme tune is excellent:

Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

played a bit of Black The Fall, it's like an indie, small-scale abe's oddyssey and it's quite fun! Some issues here and there (encountered a point where the game environment was so dark you couldn't actually see the platforms you were supposed to be traversing) but mostly enjoyable.

apart from that not much except:

Celeste
so many deaths

controls are fantastic and precise, b-sides are a really hard challenge which i enjoy from time to time (but have decided in the "hotel" level that i'm gonna skip the b-side because the basic level was challenging enough)
The music is lovely

yeah i'm having a great time playing it. was getting a bit bored of all the games i was previously focused on and this has really gripped my attention. lovely platformer.

oh and if people could gimme their thoughts on Oxenfree and Night in The Woods, i'd appreciate it :)
Been eyeing them on the e-store for a while
(if it helps, i'm a big fan of Kentucky Route Zero and other dark atmospheric story-focused games)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Didn't rate Oxenfree at all and it has been PS+ and Games With Gold I believe but for £3.99 I would say it is worth picking up as I believe I am in the minority in not liking it.

I picked up Night In The Woods but only played 20 minutes of it. Good impression so far
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Oxenfree was one of my favourite games in the year it launched, so yeah, there’s quite a range of opinion on it on here.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I enjoyed the hour of Oxenfree I played, then never went back. I do intend to restart and finish it though.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

ThirdMan wrote: February 7th, 2018, 10:39 pm My dad died suddenly yesterday at 67 years of age. He was always a great supporter of my gaming. We couldn't afford to buy the Mega Drive outright when it was released. Instead, he'd rent it out from the local video store one day at a time. Often I'd have it for weeks at a time. He must have paid the equivalent amount many times over. But he just never had the full amount at any one time. He'd do a day's work, cash in hand, then pop into the video store on his way home and pay for another night. What an absolute hero. Rest in peace Da.
He sounds like a true legend. Rest in peace.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdMan wrote: February 7th, 2018, 10:39 pm My dad died suddenly yesterday at 67 years of age. He was always a great supporter of my gaming. We couldn't afford to buy the Mega Drive outright when it was released. Instead, he'd rent it out from the local video store one day at a time. Often I'd have it for weeks at a time. He must have paid the equivalent amount many times over. But he just never had the full amount at any one time. He'd do a day's work, cash in hand, then pop into the video store on his way home and pay for another night. What an absolute hero. Rest in peace Da.
So sorry to hear that ThirdMan. Thank you for sharing such a sweet memory with us here.
Please accept my sincere condolences.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Sorry to read that, my condolences Third
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

He sounds like someone who genuinely loved his kid. I wish you and your family the best during this difficult time.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Sorry to hear it man sounds like he was a great guy, my condolences.
Sean

Post by Sean »

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great man. Stay strong!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That's very sad news, I hope you're holding up as well as can be. That's a lovely story and thanks for sharing.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

So sorry for your loss. Seems like you've got great memories of him.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I'm really sorry to hear that. Our parents can be our biggest heroes, making sacrifices that we perhaps don't always appreciate at the time.

It's good you have such a great memory of him and that he supported your playing of games.