Sound of Play: 138

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 138

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

This week’s Sound of Play host is Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins), and we’re experimenting with a new format (don’t worry — it’s a “sometimes” thing, not a new weekly feature). Following the example of the Song Exploder podcast, Ryan has chosen a single song to meticulously pick apart, instrument-by-instrument. Today’s topic is Jonathan Dunn’s legendary theme (turned washing machine jingle) from the Ocean Software RoboCop game. Ryan dissects the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, and Game Boy versions. And it’s all kicked off by a wonderful remix by Allister Brimble.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

1: Robocop by Allister Brimble – The Spectrum Works, 2015

2: Title Theme by Jonathan Dunn – Robocop, 1988

3: Title Theme by Jonathan Dunn – Robocop, 1988

4: Title Theme by Jonathan Dunn – Robocop, 1989

Sound of Play: 138 was edited by Ryan Hamann

Remember, it’s not just about what we like, so venture over to the thread at the top of this forum and put forward your own suggestions so that we might include them in future shows.

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or you can just simply download from here instead.
CODEMONKEY

Re: Sound of Play: 138

Post by CODEMONKEY »

Great show Ryan, not being someone who is musically educated and having no idea what a triangle wave is, as its all a bit technobabble to me but I still felt I have learned something about the creative process of making a music track. Also great track to deconstruct, love the robocop theme.

IMHO its such a departure from the usual SOP that maybe this can be a separate series of podcasts in its own right?
I vote for "Sound of play: Deconstructs" :lol:

I would love to hear more!
Cheers
CODEMONKEY
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks CM.

I’m afraid we definitely don’t have the capacity to produce yet another podcast strand at this time. Ryan will just fit the occasional sporadic one of these shows into the regular SoP schedule as and when inspiration strikes.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I thought this was excellent. I love the usual show formula but this was a welcome variation from the norm. I would welcome this every so often
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

It also helps it’s a fantastic piece of music. Doing this has its risks as I would have switched off if I didn’t like the song choice