Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Todinho »

So I started replaying Wolfenstein the new order because I just had an ich for it I guess and Im kinda of shocked because the game is alot worse then I remembered, I had issues with the game when I first played but I still was overall positive about it but now it's the oposite, the game has good parts but overall Im not liking much.

Basic stuff like presentation are really bad, I mean remember the labor camp mission, I remembered that being so impactfull and interesting but now it feels like a cheap B movie, I really mean that how the cutscenes are made especially the transitions into gameplay are really bad get like less then 5 minutes to know characters and the place, it's a very awkard level and really disapointing given the build up given to it previously, also the whole subplot of the super secret jewish society with incredibly tech is fucking stupid and I hate it.

Another problem I have with the setting which is that it doesnt really feel like 15 years have passed between the opening and the rest of the game, the soldiers look pretty much the same as do the weapons(the nazi ones at least) and the opening already introduces a bunch of overthetop tech like the robot dogs and giant robots. Now Imagine the begining of the game seemed pretty straight foward and seemed more or less like what WW2 should look like and then at the end you get the time skip and there's all this crazy tech, it would be alot better in my opinion when you wake up from the coma seeing this new nazi world should be jarrying both visually and gameplaywise, the biggest problem I have reguarding the time skip however is that it doesnt seem to affect the characters, I mean BJ was in virtually a coma for 15 years and yet looks exactly the same as he did in 1946 so does Anya who took care of him for all that time, the worst part comes when after being locked in a chair for 15 years BJ just gets up and starts murdering nazis like it was tuesday and Im left completelly dumbfounded, now you might call these criticisms of mine silly given this is a game where you shoot nazis on the moon but the main story is trying to take itself seriously so these problems kinda of stand out.

To make a comparison MGSV has a similar opening and set up but executes about 100 times better, people complain that it can be slow but the opening sequence really gets its point across: you have to crawl and you cant defend yourself, you survive mostly thanks to luck and by the end you're just barely walking, that doesnt stop the opening from being tense and action packed, the intro even has a flaming unicorn and Whale and yet none of that feels out of place like how in Wolfenstein BJ quickly jump up and is stabbing Nazis from second 1.

The story isnt all bad there are some flashes of brillance with what Im finding to be a pretty mediocre story like how your first resistance mission involves aiding a suicide bomber, it's great not only because it's a good moment but because it makes you realize how the resistance is fighting, I would've loved to see this side explored like it was in say Battlestar Galatica where at the height of the "war on terror" an American Tv show had the good guys plan suicide bombings and talk about insurgency and counterinsurgency, unfortunally here it's just a moment from a character we didnt even know for 5 minutes and then it's back to shooting nazis because who needs to think right?

While I overall like BJ as a character I dont like how the game seems to put him as this great hero, I really hate that he survives this game and goes on to be hero man again in the sequel because what BJ should've been portrayed as was a man out of time fighting a war that was already lost long ago, you get some of that with the letters of the nurse that was a nazi serial killer and as you read the letters you see her slowly coming to the soul crushing realization that no matter how many nazis she kills she cant win. I think BJ's story should've been similar and that's why his death at the end of New Order would make so much sense, BJ's victory shouldnt come from killing all the nazis and saving the world or some other boring cliché it should be about restoring some hope to this dreadfull world by saving someone, by loving this woman who took care of him for 15 years.

Im only so critical because I feel the game was on the cusp of doing something great and different but instead went down the same boring road of a shallow power fantasy.

I wrote all of this and I still didnt get to the gameplay which is also worse then I remembered, if I finnish this replay I'll talk about in the other thread but this one I dont think I can blame the game entirerly, lets just say that Playing DOOM(2016) might've negatively affected how I view other FPSs.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've just got to Uncharted 3 in my replay of the series. This is the one game in the series I felt was far weaker than the others, and the only one I've never revisited since first completion. I'm really looking forward to playing it again to see if my mind can be changed.

The first thing that struck me was that it seemed odd every villain in the London pub at the beginning was a skin head, haha!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Alex79uk wrote: March 31st, 2018, 2:24 pm I've just got to Uncharted 3 in my replay of the series. This is the one game in the series I felt was far weaker than the others, and the only one I've never revisited since first completion. I'm really looking forward to playing it again to see if my mind can be changed.

The first thing that struck me was that it seemed odd every villain in the London pub at the beginning was a skin head, haha!
I've never played the series and recently started with the first one, having bought the Collection. I have to say, I got maybe a third of the way through and found myself absolutely bored. I haven't been compelled to return to any of them since. I don't know if Fortune is an outlier or if they're all similar, but my word... really not my game!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The second game is widely regarded at the best in the series, but I still prefer the first. For the record, I would rank them as 4 > 1 > 2 > > > 3.

I have heard people in the past say they'd not got on with the first but enjoyed the second, but if you're really not getting on with it, it seems unlikely you'll suddenly take to the rest of the series.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

That's a shame. Well, seeing as I purchased the set I might as well skip to 2 and see if I have any more luck.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

I’m playing Skyrim on Switch and I finally see what kept me from advancing in the past when I played on 360 and PS4. I always approached the game the same as a Dragon Age or Mass Effect. This time, I just approached it as living in the world as opposed to a story based game. I just travel and see what happens.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Like Deacon above, I'm also just starting Skyrim, though I'm on the PC with the original game (and a few mods to make it pretty). Like what I've seen in the first few hours but having to hope the game keeps my attention without much direction.
Suits

Post by Suits »

deacon05oc wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 2:07 am I just travel and see what happens.
This, is the best way to play the Elder Scrolls games, for me anyway.

I RP them a lot too, which is silly but helps me enjoy them a whole lot more.

My most recent, fulfilling, playthrough was a no weapons, Mage-thief.

I approach the Fallout games in the same way too.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve finished but still continue to play Kirby All Star Allies in the Switch, it’s just so charming and effortless to play.

It also (possibly because it’s void of any real challenge) suits the instant pick up and play from wake of the Switch.

I finished the actual story in about 7 hours to show 60% complete, since then I’ve been doing the moping up associated with most Nintendo games and also messing with the bonus games to unlock further puzzle pieces for the picture pieces - much like the very cool StreetPass games of the old 3DS system.

I’m currently at 82% or so and ran out of charge, so I’m having a break :lol: .

I appreciate the power that circumstance, or current attitude can have when enjoying or not enjoying games but I must admit, I’m very much enjoying my time with Kirby and I feel I will reflect on this game fondly once my time with it is done.

£50 game this is not (or maybe rather shouldn’t be) and I’d not recommend anyone rush out and pick this up but it’s certainly a charming little battery drainer.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Goodness me, no one on this forum or on Twitter is helping me resist repurchasing Skyrim for the fourth time.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

kintaris wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 9:17 am Goodness me, no one on this forum or on Twitter is helping me resist repurchasing Skyrim for the fourth time.
Well, if the scales have not fallen from your eyes by now, I am afraid there is nothing anyone can do :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

kintaris wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 9:17 am Goodness me, no one on this forum or on Twitter is helping me resist repurchasing Skyrim for the fourth time.
Hm... I suggest listening to the one and only person who will always have your best interests in mind:
kintaris wrote: April 1st, 2018, 8:34 am I still have a LOT of all timers to experience. Happily each year I'm addressing that a little more and the amount of unplayed gems gets a little less embarassing, but still. The Final Fantasies and Personas, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Super Mario Galaxy... these are just a few that I noted immediately. Must play more games!
;)
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Hahaha, that guy is always on my case!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I guess it's unlikely the other 58547 UK players are bots this time ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Savage! :lol:
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I finally found the time to sit down and play the Playstation 4 version of Batman: Arkham Knight. It was a late in the evening, but hey, I could play a little before bed, right?

After finally getting to the title screen, I selected a new save file, and selected New Game. Boy, can't wait to go on an amazing adventure as the caped crusader! What adventures await me this time?

The adventure that I was faced with was a screen telling me to wait, as the game is installing game data. What a twist! :o This, I have to say, is a very brave narrative decision, and I salute WB, DC and Rocksteady for having the balls to do that.

The status bar moved ever so slowly across the screen... what tension! Will it make it to 100%? Don't worry guys... no spoilers! ;)

Of course, it was getting late, and I gotta work the next day, so I retired for the evening and went to bed.

My impressions so far: the mood music that was playing in the background as the game data installed... it really helped build tension. The fonts used to express that game data was being installed - legible, clear language - 5 stars. And the faint model of Batman in the background, adjusting his gloves and other parts of his outfit, really made me feel like playing a video game where you play as Batman - so bravo, mission accomplished.

I really look forward to the next part of this adventure - firmware update! It's more than 5 gig, so I can only image what lies ahead! :P

Batman: Arkham Knight - best waiting room game ever? Discuss.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hihihi, and the best part is that there are an additional 25+ Gb of (individually selectable) data to download for those entitled weirdos who want to have the full experience and bought the GOTY version! :lol:

DOOM is also really cute in that regard. Mandatory 30+ Gb update file for the map creator mode, whether you have any interest in playing it or not. Don't have a particularly powerful internet connection due to budget restrictions or your country of residence? Screw you, and back to the Dark Ages with you! I bet you drive a bike to work too, loser!

Honestly, it's best to always install / download modern games the day before one actually plans on playing them. Which is completely moronic, of course.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 4th, 2018, 11:56 pmI bet you drive a bike to work too, loser!
Uh... I ride a donkey, thank you very much! :D

Just had a sound system installed (i.e. tied to with rope). The bass upsets his tummy somewhat. :(
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: April 5th, 2018, 12:09 am Uh... I ride a donkey, thank you very much! :D

Just had a sound system installed (i.e. tied to with rope). The bass upsets his tummy somewhat. :(
Found just the thing:

Seriously, it's all about fossil fuels and twitter beefs and songs about bodily functions now.
Get with the program, gramps!