Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

You kids!

Fine... I'll get the firmware update for my donkey! Twisted my arm!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

kintaris wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 9:17 am Goodness me, no one on this forum or on Twitter is helping me resist repurchasing Skyrim for the fourth time.
Ha I am the same. Bought it launch on 360 and the special edition and VR on PS4 but kind of feel I need it on Switch too :D

So I have put some serious time into Mario and Rabbids and feel like it has run its course. Got up to 3-5 and I am bored now so getting rid. I have enjoyed it and it has made me want to give X Com 2 a try but it has got to the stage where the enemies have gone from fun to work around to annoying.

Approaching the end of COD WWII and it is alright cannot say more than that really. Never played COD online though I might give it a go (bad idea)

Most of my time has been in Fortnite as it has its hooks in me again. I started one of the timed game modes (snipers only) and in the first game got only my 2nd only Victory Royale. This has been replaced with rocket launchers only which really is fun as guided missiles fly around the course. I got killed as someone had figured out I was firing mine from the back of a lorry :D
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

There are actually games I've been playing lately, not just waiting for game data to install, and one of the many is 1992's The Great Ragtime Show aka Boogie Wings (Data East - JAMMA). After two months of tracking down I managed to pick up a PCB with original flyers and manual - super happy about that!

Hardcore 101 do a pretty good job of explaining what the game is, and the background of this obscurity, so I won't bother repeating that.

I will say that it is definitely a game overflowing with charming little details, perhaps to the point that it can get a little chaotic on screen! After completely the opening level you are treated to level select screen, Megaman-style, and if you happen to come across this game in the wild (I mean, it's not completey impossible) I would say skip Detroit Rock City, and go for any other level.

Of course, the appeal of acquiring this game is that it was never ported to anything, not even a compilation/collection, so it is rare. However, as of the date of this posting, there is a PCB available at Mak Japan in Akihabara for ¥‎48,000 (look for グレイトラグタイムショー(海) under DataEast), which may seem like a lot, but considering the rarity of the game, it's actually pretty cheap... believe me! :oops: I've gotten PCB's from Mak Japan before, while I was there and also via Akishop, so I can attest to quality of the service, and of the products.

Which leaves the only other choice as MAME. I think it's worth a play, and MAME is free after all. Can't really go wrong.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

God, I am still mired in Out of the Park Baseball. I have three concurrent games on the go now.

Because of that, I had abandoned Dead Space. I went back the other day and have somehow got myself into a situation where I have no ammo, no health, and no stasis packs etc. It will take some gritting of teeth to pull out of this.

To relax, I tried Ultrawings on PSVR, which is a basic flight sim, but *surprise* in VR! It is quite pleasant, not much to it so far.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

As a fan of the series who has not yet played 5, I warmed up by trying MGS: Ground Zeroes last night.

I just found it really difficult! I couldn't seem to do anything without getting spotted. I've often said I don't enjoy stealth games (I genuinely couldn't tell you why I love MGS so much), they make me real life anxious and I panic about getting spotted which is ridiculous because its just a game, but it's a genre I find myself getting more deeply immersed with than any other, on the rare occasion I play them. But yeah, GZ just seems like an impossible task to me. I literally keep getting spotted within 5 minutes of play!

Any tips!? It seems much harder than any other MGS game I've played...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: April 6th, 2018, 10:44 am Any tips!? It seems much harder than any other MGS game I've played...
These may sound a bit generic, but:

-Use your binoculars to mark as many enemies as possible.
-Take your time and observe guard patterns before moving.
-Don't sprint unless you know exactly where you're going.
-In general, stay crouched when navigating unfamiliar territory.
-As usual, tranq headshots are your best friend.
-Try to hold up guards if you can get behind them, and don't leave them lying around in the open.
-Don't underestimate the guards' field of vision. The AI in V is near-realistic in that regard, so assume that if you can see them, they can probably see you.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks, I'll give it another go tonight!

Played a bit of Trackmania Turbo again last night, but totally lost interest when I discovered the entire game is just time trials. No actual races? It wasn't really what I was hoping for. May go back to it another time because I'm not against the idea of a time trial racing game in theory (love Dirt Rally) but wasn't really what I wanted right now.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Ground Zeroes is pretty hard first time around and unlike Phantom Pain you dont have any gagdets to make your life easier and many other techniques so it can feel pretty limiting, I will say that crawling along the ground is really powerfull also dont forget you can shoot down the lights to make your path easier, stealth is pretty important but going full auto in V is pretty viable as well so even if you get spotted dont consider it game over sometimes it can work to your advantage if you draw enemies to one area while you go around their back.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Ground Zeroes definitely is harder than phantom pain but I think mastering it makes the main game more satisfying.

My one tip at the beginning is to go right. I’m sure others will disagree but going left always ended in disaster. That’s your spoiler free walkthrough right there.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Interestingly I’m playing horizon zero dawn which reminds me a lot of phantom pain.

I’m absolutely hooked and glad I started it now as it’s absolutely huge (or at least seems to be)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks all. I was close to giving it up and playing Fallout 4 instead, but I think I'll persevere, because, y'know, it's METAL GEAR BLOODY SOLID LADS!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Played a bit more PUBG on mobile with my eldest again today. Bots or not, it's terrific fun. It's a stroke of genius releasing it for free, because I will be on that day one when it comes to PS4.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Started Super Mario Odyssey. I’ve haven’t played a Mario game since NES and never played a 3D Mario.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've been replaying the God of War games over the course of the past few weeks in anticipation for the upcoming reboot. Currently on GoW3 and I'm having a total blast.

Perhaps I'll make a dedicated GoW thread when I'm done, since we don't have one of those?

^^ @deacon: You're in for a treat. ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 8th, 2018, 1:02 pmPerhaps I'll make a dedicated GoW thread when I'm done, since we don't have one of those?
For sure.

I still have Ghost of Sparta, Chains of Olympus and Ascension all to play some day...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Been playing a fair bit of Tesla vs Lovecraft, it’s a fun twin stick shooter. I don’t think it’s as out and out fun as Assault Android Cactus or Geometry Wars, but it has a really interesting perks system where you evolve your characters abilities during each run that mixes up the gameplay such that it doesn’t always play the same way.

It also hands out achievements like candy, bar the last three of them.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 8th, 2018, 1:26 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: April 8th, 2018, 1:02 pmPerhaps I'll make a dedicated GoW thread when I'm done, since we don't have one of those?
For sure.

I still have Ghost of Sparta, Chains of Olympus and Ascension all to play some day...
Those two PSP games were great, and are fantastic to play on the Vita. I've owned Ascension for years and never got round to it, though. Doubt I ever will at this point, but as someone who only came to the series with the PS3 remasters, they're still fantastic hack and slash action games I think.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have the PS3 ‘HD’ versions of the two handheld games.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I’ve been playing...

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (DC)

I normally don’t mention games I’ m playing for the podcast in here, but this has been quite the adventure. Having dealt with 2 faulty PAL disc 2’s and an initial restart of X on the PS2, I’ve now restarted the game on an NTSC Dreamcast copy. Becoming quite familiar with the first half of this game in the process.

Batman (NES)

This game is as good as I remember, but I now hold it in higher esteem than I ever did, based on how well it has held up. I rank it above the NES Castlevanias and Ninja Gaidens, as far as 8-bit action platformers go, though it is a bit more slow paced and deliberate than NG. The sprite work makes great use of darkness and shadows to accentuate and bring out the more colourful important bits and it’s downright artistic.

Fester’s Quest (NES)

F***k whatcha heard, this s**t is still fun, even without a turbo controller. The improved PAL version, that is.

Mortal Kombat XL (PC)

Got this for a great price thanks to a tip from Mr. Karl Moon, and have been messing around with this, even though I’m not a big NRS fan. Lots of content, great backgrounds, amusingly icky gore and somewhat technical, stuttery stop and go fighting action is enough to keep me engaged for now, but when all is said and done I don’t see this as a mainstay to play vs. friends. Oh and the PC version has an annoying soond bug that requires restarting the game, when it occurs.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’m very much enjoying Ratchet & Clank care of PS+. Not hugely challenging but a fun blast that looks absolutely stunning at points. Definitely worth a download! Also dipping in and out of everything on the C64 Mini, as well as Ghostbusters, which I couldn’t resist going through the hassle of loading from a USB stick; whilst many are complaining that this is a pain, I think the effort makes you appreciate it more - if I could have just stuck a thousand games on a stick I’d have never have spent so much time enjoying this classic again.