Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect the problem of a remake or reissue would be one of ‘who owns it’.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm sure these will be on the list but I'd love a C&R take on Dodonpachi or Mushihimesama. This stuff has taken over my life.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We did a kind of coverall show on Cave shoot ‘em ups: https://caneandrinse.com/cave-shoot-em-ups/
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Simonsloth wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 7:42 pm I’m sure they are on the list but I’d love to hear some more Amiga games get the cane and rinse treatment.

Cannon fodder, Zool, alien breed, turrican, lemmings, the dizzy series would be great and popular enough to be in with a chance.

There a few more obscure titles I loved but I doubt anyone would be interested in playing them for the show or tuning in to hear them discussed.
We definitely don’t pick our games on popularity or potential listeners!

Most of those games are on the list, a couple aren’t but I will add them.

One of the main issues with the likes of Lemmings and Cannon Fodder is the incredible difficulty of actually completing those games.

Honestly I think Zool is a really, really long shot though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 9:01 am We did a kind of coverall show on Cave shoot ‘em ups: https://caneandrinse.com/cave-shoot-em-ups/
I think it says a lot about my current frame of mind thats not only did I forget I'd listened to this episode, I've listened to it more than once! As you were :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 9:05 am
Simonsloth wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 7:42 pm I’m sure they are on the list but I’d love to hear some more Amiga games get the cane and rinse treatment.

Cannon fodder, Zool, alien breed, turrican, lemmings, the dizzy series would be great and popular enough to be in with a chance.

There a few more obscure titles I loved but I doubt anyone would be interested in playing them for the show or tuning in to hear them discussed.
We definitely don’t pick our games on popularity or potential listeners!

Most of those games are on the list, a couple aren’t but I will add them.

One of the main issues with the likes of Lemmings and Cannon Fodder is the incredible difficulty of actually completing those games.

Honestly I think Zool is a really, really long shot though.
True. I don't think I finished any of them aside from Turrican and a few of the Dizzy games if im honest. Along with Rick Dangerous they occupy a part of my brain where they will fondly be remembered but never finished.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Turrican is an interesting series cause it’s one that straddles the move from 8 to 16 bit.

The first game is considered a masterpiece of pushing the c64, but was kinda middling on the Amiga, but the second game is one of the Amiga’s most fondly remembered titles.

(After that it gets complex, what with 3, super, mega and so on... maybe one day I’ll finally find a Mega Turrican cart for my Megadrive that isn’t going for silly money)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Flabyo wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 10:56 pm Turrican is an interesting series cause it’s one that straddles the move from 8 to 16 bit.

The first game is considered a masterpiece of pushing the c64, but was kinda middling on the Amiga, but the second game is one of the Amiga’s most fondly remembered titles.

(After that it gets complex, what with 3, super, mega and so on... maybe one day I’ll finally find a Mega Turrican cart for my Megadrive that isn’t going for silly money)
Yeah it’s quite interesting in that sense and the music is fantastic. I have lots of fond memories of it and I think it’s got future podcast written all over it.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

3 hidden gems I've played a lot and really enjoyed recently that would be great for C&R...

James Cameron's Avatar (Xbox 360/PS3/PC/Wii) 2009
Anarchy Reigns (Xbox 360/PS3) 2012
Raven Squad (Xbox 360/PC?) 2009
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I love Anarchy Reigns and I know Josh does too. I would have loved to live in a world where it'd be massive, as it's one of the few online competitive games I seriously tried to play, apart from fighting games.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Some Cinemaware games such as Wings or Defender of the Crowd. 8-)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All the Cinemaware games are already on the spreadsheet. I don’t think there’s much desire to actually play them though so don’t hold your breath in anticipation!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Come on, at least do Defender of the Crown!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Honestly, that was a very slight game when I played it in 1990.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: October 12th, 2016, 11:51 pm Has there ever been discussion of episodes focused on specific consoles? Now that they're in their twilight, doing a retrospective episode on the Vita or the Wii U and talking about their legacy and people's reaction to their hardware foibles and software libraries could be a fun episode.
ratsoalbion wrote: October 13th, 2016, 2:47 am It has been suggested by lusteners a number of times but it's not something I'm interested in doing - such episodes wouldn't tally with Cane and Rinse's 'format-agnostic' ethos.

Ultimately the conversation would become about what games were on a platform anyway. As far as Cane and Rinse is concerned the machines are just there to facilitate the playing of the games, although certainly we address host machines' (and controllers) strengths and weaknesses when we go into detail about certain titles, when relevant.

Hopefully, as the library of games we cover continues to grow, it becomes increasingly apparent what we consider the reasons to own each platform are anyway.

Apart from anything else we only get to do 50 odd games per year as it is and we have an ever-increasing list of titles (currently 1400-1500) that we (and the community), wants us to cover, so I'd rather retain that drive and focus on talking about as many different experiences as possible.

I imagine that platform-specific discussion is available elsewhere.
*chuckles dryly*
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Imagine that, I changed my mind!

Jay and I had a long discussion about the content and format of platform-specific shows. I was still very sceptical at first but we worked out a few ideas and ultimately he convinced me that it could work within the remit of CaR, so there we are!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm more impressed by the description of us all as "Lusteners".

Now that's something I can get behind.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

😍
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I'll add it to the TVTropes page.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

For all those who have asked us to cover Cinemaware, Kim Justice has you covered: