E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
kintaris

Re: E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

Post by kintaris »

I'm going to be up at all hours covering some of this stuff, so it's a good thing I get hyped for E3 despite it being such a leaky boat this year.

Debatable whether I'll be able to stay awake for Bethesda but Sony I'll certainly be covering. I will try and nap in the day at some point!

I fully anticipate gameplay for Death Stranding this time. We know it's there, Sony have said their big four titles will get significant time each... it just seems impossible that we'll only get a trailer.

I mean, the gameplay might be a four-hour cinematic with a couple of sneaking sections, but that's still Kojima gameplay ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

No Burnout... I'm inconsolable. :(
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m sure there’s a chance someone like Microsoft will have some unannounced EA games on their presentation.

Something as potentially popular as a new Burnout - dunno.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hm... this makes sense. Hope!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Missed the ea one, amusingly cause I was out meeting industry friends and hearing the goss about what else we might be seeing this weekend.

Which I naturally can’t talk about in here, but hey.

I will say one thing about the ea one though, I’m actually surprised command and conquer wasn’t already on mobile.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You didn't miss much. I thought it was terrible.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Im catching up to it now and man its probably the worst EA conference in years, I just got to the C&C mobile part and a little part of me died inside, RTS is dead and C&C will never escape the basement of EA.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

It might even be a good game but I remember the last time EA did a classic PC franchise on mobile:

But RTS really is dead and everytime I see rumbling of a new game its some facebook thing or mobile, hell they even did a kickstarter for Battle Realms one of my favorite RTS's growing up and it turned out it was going to be a cardgame kinda of thing and not an RTS at all. Now companies all seem to be angling for the whole esports sector and MOBAs pretty much ate up all that space so RTS stands no chance, I dont even think Blizzard will do another Starcraft and warcraft is never ever getting another RTS. My only hope now is Age of Empires 4 thats suposedly in development but I havent heard anything about it in ages...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It depends a lot on the game, and the monetisation technique you’re using. A game that is using adverts to drive it needs less daily active players to generate an income than one that is using micro transactions.

But yeah, 1 million DAU would be pretty low for most f2p games to be successful.

Initially when you launch on mobile you don’t actually care about making money. Your goal to start with is to build retention. Ie, you want people who played the game to come back and play it again. Intially you tune for day one retention, ie, did someone who played it play it again the next day.

Then you focus on day 7 retention, then if you’re getting that you start to look at your DAU (daily active users). Finally you focus on tuning for ARPDAU (average revenue per daily active user). You want that to be about 1 cent. If you get there, with 10 million DAU, you have a game that works.

You will spend a long time in soft launch (ie, the game isn’t actually available everywhere, just in a few countries so you can tune it) before you launch globally. If you happen to be Canadian or Australian you’re probably used to playing mobile games 6 months or more before the PR push on them begins.

Basically you don’t put a game into the US mobile market until you’re pretty sure it’ll work. Even then most fail.

EA have brand recognition here which will drive them through the initial hump more easily than a new IP would. They’ve had strong success with their Sim city f2p mobile game, but that doesn’t rely on a pvp mechanic, and ther was less competition in the city building genre.

This one is going up against Game of War and Clash of Clans. Which are absolute behemoths. It’s going to be a challenge.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Meanwhile, the Japanese release details for Warriors Orochi 3 have appeared.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Oh, and I’ll triple post to say that apparently if you watch the ms conference via Mixer and it’s linked to your live account you’ll get free things.

I don’t think I’ve even launched Mixer since they did this last e3... (you got Rare Replay last year for doing it)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah the mixpot rewards are usually decent. Rare Replay was an incredible one!

Its part of my theory that we are gonna see DLC for it this year. More players, more potential DLC sales
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

As for the EA conference, they kinda missed the mark.

Anthem didnt do much for me and whilst their originals look great it left me feeling a bit let down and even then i had low expectations.

Command and Conquer mobile isnt helping, either. It looks alright but fans want a “proper” return, not a clash royale rip off
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do we know if Anthem is being released as F2P, or retail along the lines of Destiny?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I’m 99% sure it’ll be the usual EA release.

Five different versions with all sorts of over priced fluff.

I can’t see them doing a massive budget f2p game
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, and if anyone wants to check on all the trailers, keep track of the upcoming schedule and have twitch links to all the press conferences in one place, this is still one of the best places to do so:

https://2018.e3recap.com
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool. I tend, if I can't watch live, to watch the uploads on the IGN YouTube channel, just because I'm familiar with most of the Pre and post show presenters etc.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I highly recommend watching the Xbox press conference on their Mixer channel www.mixer.com/xbox and make sure your gamertag is linked to the mixer account.

I'm not sure what the rewards are in the "mixpot" but last year everyone got Rare Replay just for watching it.

I've also received a Sea of Thieves pistol skin on mixer, too!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There's a bunch of dev talks at e3's coliseum. I'm not sure exactly what's on there but it might be worth checking out

www.youtube.com/e3
James

Post by James »

Utterly nonplussed by the EA conference.
I thought Unravel 2 and SOS looked great, and didn't mind a couple of other sections, but the Madden, Respawn, and C&C stuff, in particular, were up there with some of the worst-produced segments I've seen at any E3 conference, in my opinion.

The games are a bit of an unknown for Microsoft, but they'd be hard-pushed to impress me less than EA did.

Onwards!