The Walking Dead

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

The Walking Dead

Post by ratsoalbion »

So Episode Three is out for 360 & PC today, though frustratingly once again we're going to have to wait a little longer for the PS3 version in Europe.
Perhaps it will be Friday again as it was for Ep 2.

Anyway, please use this thread for all Walking Dead (game) discussion, but also be sensible and sensitive with spoilers!
We may very well do a Cane & Rinse podcast on the completed season in 2013 so comments in this thread may well be quoted on that show.
Sean

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by Sean »

Played through Ep 3 last night, and, it will crush your soul. It has some of the darkest moments I've ever seen in a video game. It ruined my mood for the rest of the night.

As far as playing it, though, it's the worst of the three, and, that worries me, since, as far as gameplay, each episode has been increasingly worse. Hope it turns for the better in the last two. And, this time, I mean the actual things you do, not the bugs in the game (which are still there, as well, unfortunately).

But, man, as far as the story goes, they really go the extra mile on this one. Can't wait for you guys to see it.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

I played and loved EP1 but I've yet to start EP 2 & 3 although I've purchased both, I'm in half a mind to wait now and play the whole series back to back as I've seen little to now spoilers about the games on the web.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The gameplay in the 3rd episode is slightly more frustrating but I think thats down to the more open area's than the previous episodes and the fact you cant invert the shooting controls.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've played the first episode through on the iPhone. I thought it was brilliant. Might buy the whole series on PS3 at some point. It seems like it would have decent replay value to, what with the pretty big decisions you have to make. It's almost like a graphical 'choose your own adventure' book with a few puzzle-lites thrown in. Definitely Telltale's greatest moment to far, I think.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Christ!
Played all episodes within the space of a week, finishing episode 3 last night.
I honestly feel like I completely ruined every decision
Spoiler: show
I didn't kill the survivor, I spend a while wrestling with the controls (I'm and inverter) and I was trying to pick off the zombies with absolutely no luck, poor girl was screaming outside, found that rather uncomfortable, Kenny didn't seem to give a fuck.
Kenny was also giving me shit in the drug store, telling me I need to make sure I pick up everything and was going to leave me for dead under the collapsed door, the jerk!

I loved the bit where you can choose to give duck a high five, and when you do, at teh top of the screen it says "duck thinks you are incredibly awesome"

Trying to save people from the bandits when you can't invert the controls, again, was a horrific experience, but the game really is quite forgiving with aim.

I left Lilly
despite me telling her repeatedly to back down, she didn't and was to much of a loose cannon, Can't have her flipping out and killing everyone.

I didn't fight kenny on the train, I talked him into stopping

I shot Duck
Kenny is a jerk, but it's a bit harsh to tell him that he had to do it...

I saved Christa first.
I had a panic, because there was a bar emptying in front of me and Christa was right next to the cursor, at which point my wife slapped me over the back of the head for not helping Omid with his ruined leg :S

When the hobo told Clem that she was going to die like Duck did, I was ready to rage up to the front of the train and kick him off, but after chattign with him, he did have some valid points, just went about telling them to Clem in a bit of a shitty way

And the radio!!!
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

This probably my favourite Arcade game at the moment, love the episodic style and always leaves me waiting for the next part, plus at 400 points per episode you can't go wrong! :-)

Like RoboticMonk3y and Domsbeard I am also an inverter and it can be pretty frustrating especially when you need to do something quickly, part 1 was particularly bad for that and ended up with a number of deaths. Can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. :-s

Episode 3 is pretty brutal on your emotions and had me shouting at my TV on a couple of occasions.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Hopefully the UK PS3 version will be released soon, as it sucks waiting while everyone else gets to enjoy it.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Episode two also came out on iOS recently, so I can't wait to catch up a bit.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

magicjoef wrote:Episode two also came out on iOS recently, so I can't wait to catch up a bit.
How does it play on iOS?. I've just started playing back to the future is it similar controls?.

I've invented a drinking game by the way, every time Clem or Lee say 'Ok' you have to do a shot. Give it a try! ;)

Episode 3 anyway.....
Spoiler: show
Very depressing, felt horrible leaving that woman but I knew it was the sensible thing to do, her screaming whilst you were in the store was very chilling.

Also saving Doug/Carly doesn't seem like such a massive decision as it pans out does it?. No matter which one you save I believe they get shot by Lilly in this episode. Kept Lilly on the RV but she did a runner.....

Don't agree with Katja's suicide, doesn't make sense to me at all. Unless...... Kenny did it to spare her misery?. I pulled the trigger on Duck but it took me a while as I'd warmed to Duck in this episode (high five!). I'm leaning towards just looking after me and Clem now, don't trust Kenny, Ben or the tramp. WTF was that on the radio..........
Love the game and can't wait for the next episode. One thing I don't get is people who play multiple playthrough's there's only going to be one playthrough for me and I love comparing who has chosen what after.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

DomsBeard wrote:How does it play on iOS?. I've just started playing back to the future is it similar controls?
It is actually the first Telltale game I've played on iOS, as I only got the iPad recently. That's why I chose that platform really, to experiment a bit and play around with the device on a game I knew was good quality.

To be honest, some of it is a little clumsy, mainly when you have to look around and move the camera, it feels a bit sluggish to respond. I've also had to replay a small section because it didn't detect my tapping. Overall though, it works because most of the focus is on the story.

How are the BTTF games on iOS, worth a look?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Episode 1 is free so you might as well try it out, I'm finding ok so far I've heard from episode 3 onwards it's excellent.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

The wait for episode 3 on PS3 is killing me. At least I have Sleeping Dogs & Dragons Dogma to keep me busy.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Doesn't look like it's in the PSN Store Wednesday update. Bah.
Still, last time it was a Friday so it could happen within the next seven days.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

It's a bloody joke.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Yeah, they didn't put it in the Wednesday update for Episode 2 either, it was announced separately.

This is always the worry I have when buying game season passes, as a result I always buy the episodes individually on 360 the day they come out. I think that makes the wait a little easier for me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aye. As previously stated my motivations for buying the PS3 version were two-fold: 1) Ep 1 came out before the 360 version and 2) The season pass made it work it cheaper. No-brainer, right?

One small consolation is that it seems like the 360 version a bug which can mean that it fails to carry your decisions and actions over from chapter to chapter. I haven't heard of this happening in the PS3 version.

However, if I'd anticipated these release problems, I'd have gone for the 5 x 400MSP Xbox version. It's not the waiting that bothers me (I'm 40, not 14), it's the avoiding spoilers and not being to share the experience with chums playing on other systems.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Yeah I was aware of it launching first on PS3 but expected launch issues on both formats as Telltale seem to have often had issues getting stuff out quickly. Of course, this is the case again but Sony Europe are adding to the problem. Have no idea what the problem there is but I hope it's something that's sorted for PS4.

Having not had the chance to play Episode 3 immediately I can attest to how awkward it is to avoid spoilers.

As for the 360 bug, it's to do with Cloud storage. It's a little funny on this, involves not carrying across actions and/or not posting achievements correctly. Simply copying or saving locally to HDD circumvents it. I had this problem.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ratsoalbion wrote:It's not the waiting that bothers me (I'm 40, not 14), it's the avoiding spoilers and not being to share the experience with chums playing on other systems.
I'm playing on the 360, and it really bothers me that it's not out on PS3 yet.
I'd love to be able to have a good chat with people who have played it, but feel kinda shitty that PS guys haven't even got it yet.
I hope no one has rolled over any spoilers by accident...
:(
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Updates everytime you log on, DLC late or cancelled (Dawnguard) it's weird that the PS3 is the only console I've not owned. I hope they get they're act together for PS4. Anyway going off topic, how much cheaper was the season pass?