What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah the updated version is on PS4 now I think too. I enjoyed it on Vita but can't see me ever wanting to play it not on a handheld. I never quite got in to it properly, always felt a bit limited with what you could achieve.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

It’s fantastic in handheld and docked on Switch. Anyone tried Renegade on Switch yet? I have it on PS4 but never really got on with how the original arcade attack left and attack right buttons are mapped onto the controller. Wondered if the new Switch version was the same. Never had that problem on the Spectrum version!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’ll be exactly the same because it’s based on the coin-op (well, it’s the same code). When Imagine ported the home versions they obviously optimised the controls for single button joysticks (and rubber keyboards).

Interestingly, while Technos switched the controls up for the next game, Double Dragon, they went back to the left and right facing attacks setup for Double Dragon II.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Renegade controlled really interestingly on Amstrad. Joystick for movement, keyboard for attack. And it was bloody gorgeous, too. Then for Target Renegade, the sequel I think (?), they just went to one single button on the joystick for attacking.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Thanks Leon. I’ll probably save it for a rainy day in that case. Or at least spend a bit more time on Raging Justice first.

Never seen it on the Amstrad, Alex. I’m going to look it up!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As Alex says, the CPC version was a famously good port. Also, predating Mortal Kombat on the MD by half a decade, you could enter a cheat code to turn the sanitised grey blood to red.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I would seriously recommend Sengoku 3 to anyone wanting a fix of side-scrolling brawling action. The combat mechanics are deeper than any other brawler I've played, easy to pick up but with loads of combo potential.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm As Alex says, the CPC version was a famously good port. Also, predating Mortal Kombat on the MD by half a decade, you could enter a cheat code to turn the sanitised grey blood to red.
Ah yeah I'd forgotten all about that! Haha yes I always remember thinking without the cheat it looked like they just leaked water out of their heads when they died :lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Just the two this week

Red Faction Guerilla Re-MARS-tered edition - PC, PS4, XB1

Runbow - NS
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Inside, Pocket Rumble and Miles & Kilo all out on Switch today and reviewing well.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Octopath Traveller this time next week!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard - Win, NS, PS4, XBO
Shining Resonance Refrain - Win, NS, PS4, XBO
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - XBO
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - NS, 3DS
Octopath Traveler - NS

I tried to check each platforms webstore to get a clearer idea of what's coming out digitally but ultimately it's a minefield or the information isn't clearly displayed unless I turn on each system which kinda goes beyond my ability to be bothered :)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Octopath! I'm terribly excited for it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Captain Toad, is a great little game.

I had it and played the life out of it on my Wii U, tentatively I've picked it up on the Switch again, not because I have doubts in its quality but I personally sometimes wonder about the benefits of playing puzzle games through again.

Octopath I'm in for, my body is ready. I've purposely not played the demo and hear all the concerns about it being a boring classic JRPG. I'm looking forward to giving it a chance.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I have a slight morbid curiosity about Shining Resonance. I played the demo of it on the Switch and was not very impressed with it. Not terrible, but just kind of fine. A poor man's Tales game. But I already don't like the Tales games, and Shining Resonance seemed like it was full of the most cliched JRPG/anime schlock out there. But at the same time, I believe this is the first Shining game to be released outside of Japan in a very long time, and the first to be released in Europe in even longer. It's also the series that Sega decided they wanted to wipe any mention of from Youtube a while back, which caused a big drama around them taking down any video that even merely talked about the games, not even including any footage of them. So I feel like this game coming out should be some sort of event. Yet I see no one talking about it, and I expect everyone has already forgotten it exists.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Still sulking that the 40k Inquisitor game has been delayed again on the consoles, some time in August now.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I feel like I'm not hearing a crazy amount about Octopath Traveler? Am I reading the wrong sites?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Reviews are still under embargo I think.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Spectrum Retreat also out this week
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion - PC, NS, PS4, XBO
Sonic Mania Plus - NS, PS4, XBO
Touhou Genso Wanderer: Reloaded - NS, PS4