Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: The World Cup 2018

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that's true, too.

On another note, Peru so deserved to equalise in this game, I'd have loved to see them pull one back against the French.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 21st, 2018, 5:47 pm If you say that the best players are being rewarded for their importance to the club with their wages, then is it fair that, in absolute terms, they are then punished *more* than their colleagues for the exact same infraction?
I think it would be fair in relative terms (it would have the same-proportioned impact on everyone's revenue), but not in absolute terms, that is correct. It's the same conundrum as with incremental tax rate, basically.

But my sticking point is that since it's the big star players that have the most influence of others, they're also the ones who should be held to a higher behavioral standard. If they lead the way in terms of sportsmanship, others will be more likely to follow their example. In or out of the stadium.

In an ideal world, you shouldn't have to con grown adults into not cheating at sporting events, but eh. Gotta be pragmatic about such things. Then again, I'm completely out of the loop, so I have no idea how feasible it would be.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Believe it or not but actually ‘conning’ the officials is considered an integral and lauded aspect of the game in some continents.

It’s just not part of ours (English game).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also, punishments are not always for ‘cheating’ as such. Foul tackles most often come from genuine attempts to win the ball; it’s a contact sport after all.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

What a perfect finish on that Croatian goal! Awful mistake from the Argentinian keeper there!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, great technique, didn’t have to hit it hard, just had to hit it right.

Willy Cab’s has always been a bit suspect.

Tasty game this.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bloody hell! Incredible second goal! This is an absolute belter of a game!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh my word. A broken team in every way! They have been destroyed!
Suits

Post by Suits »

One of the best things about a World Cup is the different styles, play, approach, officiating and cultures that it brings to the forefront of the game.

Those Senegalese yesterday for brilliant, not only yesterday but previously also.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Ok so this might come off as us being sore losers but people here are cheering on South Korea like they were the second brazilian team right now XD ,what an upset though who saw this coming?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm seeing crestfallen-looking folks outside and the environment is so silent you could hear a penny drop. Is it safe to assume the german team just got dunked on? :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The holders are indeed out. The first time ever that they’ve failed to get through the first stage.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

It never ceases to amaze me how tribal people get over sporting events.

I don't follow the World Cup, but I generally like to see underdogs succeed at these things. Nothing beats the contagious enthusiasm from those who overcome incredible odds and it makes for a significantly more spectacular event than if it's just between the same handful of big name favorites.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I am always far more amazed by how tribal many people get about *non*-sporting events (videogames)!
:D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

yeah about tribalism there's saying here that brazilians are only patriots during the World Cup which shows by how people were cheering South Korea on and how my dad is convinced there is a conspiracy among all the referees to screw Brasil over, its certainly weird but its worth if just for all the memes created on twitter XD
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If anything Brazil have been shown enormous favours by the officials over the years.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is probably the most interesting World Cup I can ever remember, and I've been watching them since Mexico 86. I've never seen so many upsets before!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I gotta say, some of the hot takes I'm witnessing on social media are absolutely legendary. So much wanton cruelty and hilarious salt! I'm thinking of buying a korean t-shirt somewhere just to get a rise out of randoms tomorrow. :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

France Vs Argentina - what a game! Possibly the best of the tournament so far I think. Exciting right to the last second, I really thought Argentina might pull it back with that last second attack. Brilliant!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Wow Argentina being booted I kinda of saw coming but Portugal I dont think anyone predicted that, Im starting to think people here should start getting concerned about Mexico