Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion »

Absolutely Camille.

Alex, I don’t think many would argue that Jessica Price acted faultlessly in this at all.

The concern is more that her employer appeared to buckle in the wake of a ‘pile-on’, much of which was fuelled by, well, the usual suspects.

A more reasonable response may have been a suspension and a firm ‘slapped wrist’.

I understand that she has acted improperly in the eyes of some of the GW2 community before, and this may have played a part.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm so happy that this exists!

Someone commission it!
macstat

Post by macstat »

Same here ! I was thinking about how Nathan fills this role perfectly not so long ago and apparently i have ability to will something to existence :D
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I'm just going to shoehorn this as news, but as a collector of figurines, I'm pretty excited about the announcement of this R-Type (prototype) Figma model:
Again, not news per se... just cool. :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am I'm just going to shoehorn this .......
I saw this and was going to post it in the R-Type Podcast thread but the image was too big for the forum and I wasn't able to re-size it !!

Awesome inst it.

It's not finished yet, let alone painted apparently.

I think it looks rad, just primed with the gold wire.

Really smart.
Joshihatsumitsu

Suits wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 8:46 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am I'm just going to shoehorn this .......
I saw this and was going to post it in the R-Type Podcast thread but the image was too big for the forum and I wasn't able to re-size it !!

Awesome inst it.

It's not finished yet, let alone painted apparently.

I think it looks rad, just primed with the gold wire.

Really smart.
I... want... now!!! Thank god I subscribe to Good Smile Company updates... bad for the wallet, good for the soul!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Rather on topic article for the Forum/Podcast written by Andy Hamilton.

Wait until KSub gets his paws on this........ :lol: .

https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/03/best-r ... evil-game/
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think RE7 should be higher on that list. As a 2018Gamer™, I don't have the time to get used to garbage control schemes or confusing camera systems, and it's not like anybody cares about Mercs anyway. Whenever I pick up a controller, I want to shoot using the right trigger, and anything that doesn't comply gets uninstalled instantly. RE7 excelled in every aspect and redeemed the series, so I think it's long overdue for the world to recognize its brilliance. I can only assume that the writer felt obliged to pander to the classic RE diehards by not giving it the top spot. Those poor souls should get out of the 90's, for real. They simply don't understand how immersive that game was. My favourite trick for dealing with these weird cultists is to not even address their ridiculous "arguments" and reiterate my blanket disagreement instead. I hear it makes them crawl back to whatever hole they came from and leave the rest of us normal folks alone.
the highlight is the first couple of hours as you explore the main area of the family home, stalked continuously by the seemingly indestructible Jack. Like the Nemesis, he’s instantly iconic
I for one cannot wait for the opportunity to buy collectible action figures of this tried and true video game icon. Fredddy Krueger and the Xenomorph might have worked 'back in the day' when they had horse-drawn carriages or whatever, but thankfully we now have a new horror monster for the ages, a new Master of Malevolence, a new milestone in eldritch terror that will impact popular culture for decades to come. Move over Mario and Samus, no gaming den shall henceforth be complete without a sculpted effigy of the one and only Jack Baker.
Resident Evil 7 is a real return to form – a true survival horror game that brings back all the best aspects of the early titles with a new twist.
Couldn't have said it better myself. RE7 is indeed the epic culmination of 20 years of refinement in game design, and anybody who doesn't understand this doesn't know anything about Resident Evil. It's about the scares, man. And that's not to say that the meticulously crafted survival aspect is lagging behind. RE7 had key items. You know what else had key items? Every other game in the series. And Monkey Island. And God of War. But whatever. Case closed. Any loser who doesn't realise how this is actually the exact same classic formula might as well be living in a parallel universe as far as I'm concerned.

Now if you'll excuse me, I inadvertently left the award-winning RE7 OST on loudspeaker and the people on the bus are giving me weird looks. Unworthy plebs.

Spoiler: show
I actually don't think it's that bad of a list apart from the obvious...! :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I did address your arguments, ksub, I simply didn't agree with them all, which appears to have led you on what is veering dangerously close to a pompous, elitist rant. I enjoy playing games. I don't particularly enjoy over analysing and picking them apart, but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid, it's simply based on different criteria. And whilst I understand that your post above isn't exclusively in response to the discussion in the RE7 thread, it's impossible to believe that didn't inspire it in part. It's ok for people to disagree, it's certainly not ok to either belittle or dismiss other people's opinions on the grounds they haven't sat and dissected the game under a microscope.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Disagreeing after mutual careful observation of the facts and a respectful exchange of contradictory interpretations is one thing, and one that I have absolutely no problem with.

A quick and easy "Yeah, but still." that conveniently circumvents 90% of the evidence-backed data that someone has taken the time and effort to present to you is another, and one that I'm expecting from 14-year olds on GameFAQs instead of this here forum.

You're perfectly within your right to think that I'm being a prick about all this and that this is a completely acceptable response, and I think I'm also within my right to gently call you out on what I consider to be impolite behaviour. Especially since this is not the first time you've bailed out on people's measured and thoughtful responses.

With that said, I admit that I could have phrased it in a less aggressive manner and I apologise for that. My intent was to draw your attention on something and not to insult you.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think if I had spent a long time carefully considering my analysis and opinion, and then disrespectfully dismissed your response to that you'd have a point. As it is, I've never done that. I've only ever posted brief thoughts, and not particularly ever wanted to get drawn in to the verbose and high brow discussion that goes on in the game threads. You're well within your right to feel annoyed I didn't offer further counter arguments to your extensive points, but it's not fair to place the blame of that annoyance on me. I could have sat and thought out a 500 word response, but simply saying I didn't agree nor feel that way about the game covered it far more succinctly. It would appear we want to get different things out of the form, and I don't have a problem with that, but to accuse me of being impolite is objectively wrong. I come here for friendly casual chat, and if I don't agree with something you say, it doesn't necessarily have to be drawn out in to a several page long discussion.

I might also add that in the Resident Evil 7 thread specifically, all I said was I thought it followed the formula to a tee. It was you who decided to post an essay about how you vehemently disagreed. If you're looking for a thoughtful, well considered argument on why I think it DID follow the formula, well, you've got the wrong guy. I just shrug and say, I dunno, I just think it does.

I don't want to fall out with you Ksub, but I think you've said some things that aren't really fair, and are a little uncalled for. If other people thought I was being rude and dismissive of their opinions, I'm sure they'd say, but the fact is I'm not. I value everything everyone has to say. The forum has a great mix of insightful discussion and casual chat, and you can't get all uppity because someone doesn't want to get involved with that - or, because someone doesn't agree with you.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Fair enough, mate. Considering how it was I who started that would-be discussion in the first place and not you, I'll take responsibility for this incident. It does indeed appear as if we both want different things from the forum, and it's not very fair of me to drag you into something you're not interested in. I probably should have taken your post in the RE4 thread more seriously:
Alex79uk wrote: March 7th, 2018, 5:37 pm I don't personally feel it's my job to formulate an honest and fair critique - I'll leave that to the people who know what they're talking about. I just like to say how a game made me feel, and whether I enjoyed it or not I guess - however biased or unfair that may be!
I suppose what is to you a benign and harmless opinion can sometimes come across as denying facts to me. So for example, when you claim that RE7 is just as built for challenge and speedruns as the other games in the series, I find it almost impossible to reconcile that statement with anything that I know about game design, and it frustrates me. Even though it's probably a throwaway comment on your part because you don't care all that much about that aspect of the game(s) to begin with.

So hey, my apologies for the passive aggressive rant and I'll try to keep our differences in mind in the future. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from too, and I will, in future, try to either back up things I say better, or at least not try to counter an argument I cannot do!

:)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Lot of things being announced at EVO today.

There’s a Nintendo direct for Smash on Wednesday, some more Soul Calibur 6 characters have been revealed (Mina! Yay!), and there’ll be more for sure.

We know we’ll see some stuff for the SFV character ‘G’ as he’s next in the list of season 3 dlc.

Will we see something Tekken announced in a couple of hours?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: August 5th, 2018, 10:08 pm Lot of things being announced at EVO today.

There’s a Nintendo direct for Smash on Wednesday, some more Soul Calibur 6 characters have been revealed (Mina! Yay!), and there’ll be more for sure.

We know we’ll see some stuff for the SFV character ‘G’ as he’s next in the list of season 3 dlc.

Will we see something Tekken announced in a couple of hours?
Oh great, a dedicated Direct for Smash - wait........ :| .
Joshihatsumitsu

More M2 ShotTriggers goodness with a release date announced for Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi - 29th November 2018.

Again, PS4, and again, pretty much Japan. But hey, it's a region free platform, so just requires importing or having a Japanese PSN account - both doable.

Vague details on the official site.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I still only have Battle Garegga from this series. Should probably rectify that!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

The World Ends With You for Switch is coming out October 12th.

Should be fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:18 pm IGN in hot water for plagiarism!

https://kotaku.com/ign-pulls-review-aft ... 1828157939
I posted about this this morning, albeit in the podcasts thread, it seems it's gotten rather a lot of attention all day.
Suits wrote: August 7th, 2018, 9:04 am Does anyone on hear listen to IGN's NVC (Nintendo Voice Chat) ??

It's fallen a long way from it's older Jose Otero days but I still religiously listen to it as soon as it's up.

The new host Filip Miucen has taken a long time to warm up to the podcast I feel and even after a year doesn't seem like a natural leader for the show.

The shy and seemingly quiet host has now been caught up in a plagiarism row, where it appears that his Dead Cells review has more than a few almost identical phrases of text from a video review of the same game two weeks prior.

As you can imagine, the internet is calling for his head on a stick at the moment.

IGN have since removed the review with a note saying it's under investigation.

Here's the article pointing out the similarities of the review.

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/igns-de ... giarisied/

Serious stuff.