No Man's Sky

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
countstex

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by countstex »

Chopper wrote: August 12th, 2017, 3:08 pm Is relocating your base an option? Does this require physical disassembly?
It is possible. You simply find a new location and claim it. The old base will be removed and a percentage of the materials you used to build the original will appear in a locker in the new base. Once you rebuild a terminal any worker you hired will take its place. Pretty painless really.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Some news about the game coming to Xbox and a new update here.

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive

Thinking I might try this game again after I finish Infamous and Yakuza.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Ohh. nice. I wouldn't might starting over with that game in it's more developed state.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, update drops in the summer so soon as that's out I'll get back on it with a fresh start.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Only days away now. Really looking forward to seeing what new. I've not had my PS4 booted up in months, and barely at all this year so not seen it for a good while. Plus it will be enhanced on the One X :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Really looking forward to it. I've been holding off playing my copy since release until it was finally 'finished'.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Im gonna give it a go as well. Unfortunately last time i tried to play game was crashing a lot for me.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

countstex wrote: July 17th, 2018, 8:49 am Only days away now. Really looking forward to seeing what new. I've not had my PS4 booted up in months, and barely at all this year so not seen it for a good while. Plus it will be enhanced on the One X :)
Are you re-buying it on XB1??? :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm more than tempted to go back and have another bash at this. I'll clearly have to start a new game mind but that's cool.

I played it hard for a few weeks at launch, I enjoyed it for what it was - a relaxing space exploration game but I understood all the criticism, personally I wasn't as upset as some people were.

Great to see that it's a free update too, even with the price hike at CEX, £12 is still a very cheap price for it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have it on disc but very tempted to pick it up digital next time it's a tenner. In fact, if anyone wants to swap my PS4 disc copy for ten quid PSN credit hit me up!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Really tempted by this!

I don't and have never owned the game. Was intrigued in the lead up to the original launch and got scared off by all the hullabaloo. I've been hearing for a long time about the positive steps the dev has been taking to improve things and felt like I would probably jump in one day, but this new update might just be the one that tips me over the edge.

Also would like to support and reward the developer for all the effort they've made with it. I felt they got a little shafted by Sony around the launch and hung out to dry. They were a small team thrust into the spotlight with their game championed as a major exclusive by Sony (I'm sure they weren't complaining at the time mind!), but then when things started to go wrong Sony distanced themselves pretty quick and I seem to remember Shuhei Yoshida somewhat throwing Sean Murray under the bus at one point.

Kudos to them for getting their heads down and doing right by the people that bought their game. Looks incredible!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Just be aware that it's a 'grinding for loot' game, and there's not a lot more to it than that.

I have no axe to grind, and I'm wondering whether I'm doing the game a disservice here, but I don't think I am. If sandbox crafting is your thing (think chopping trees in Minecraft) then go for it. It's good for a few hours of that :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think a good number of people were expecting an Elite style game, but it’s closer to Terraria really. It still is, even with all the new additions the space combat and exploration side isn’t what it does best.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yes, Terraria is a good comp!

Funnily enough Elite eventually devolves into grind as well, but there is a lot to learning how to actually fly, that masks that for a good while.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: July 24th, 2018, 12:39 pm Just be aware that it's a 'grinding for loot' game, and there's not a lot more to it than that.

I have no axe to grind, and I'm wondering whether I'm doing the game a disservice here, but I don't think I am. If sandbox crafting is your thing (think chopping trees in Minecraft) then go for it. It's good for a few hours of that :)
I'm sure they added proper quests at some point, didn't they?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

The quests are largely 'go and grind this stuff' but there are some narrative quests, yes. I really enjoyed them, and found certain quest locations amazingly atmospheric, as probably outlined on the first few pages of this thread from memory.
countstex

Post by countstex »

It is very much a new game now. Completely reworked crafting system, space stations are FULL of aliens, ships kick up dust when they fly low, sharing a base, helping each other with materials, there's even ammunition in the game now that you have to craft.. I don't recall that before, sure you have to 'load' the weapons up with elements but they've added so many levels to things. Anyone thinking of returning I would suggest starting over, at least until you work out how the game works now.
Suits

Post by Suits »

countstex wrote: July 25th, 2018, 8:53 am Anyone thinking of returning I would suggest starting over, at least until you work out how the game works now.
Yeah man, I remember them saying you should start over a few months after launch when they released a patch - so this, is a no brainer.

Cool, I'm encouraged to give this another go.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Anyone with an old save will be slightly shafted anyway in that all the tech is now obsolete and needs the new blueprint system to upgrade. The majority of materials are also borked, I believe. Doesn't bother me, starting from scratch in NMS and getting your ship off the ground is one of the best feelings in any game.

I think this is absolutely wonderful. The grind and upgrades are now much better paced. I did my best to break the game and exploit everything I could first time round but this seems much more robust and balanced, in any case.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: July 25th, 2018, 3:29 pm I did my best to break the game and exploit everything I could first time round ....
Ha, me and my mate spent a whole day on one planet mining these massive gold nodules, made soooooo much money.

Bought the most expensive ship and still had loads left.

It kinda broke the game.

The more I hear people talking about this game, the more amped I get to get in again.