August 2018 podcast

Here's where you can leave us any comments, questions and feedback for our exclusive Patreon feed podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

August 2018 podcast

Post by JaySevenZero »

The latest Patreon exclusive monthly 'cast in which Leon and Jay chat about Cane and Rinse stuff, along with some game chat discussing Wolfenstein: The New Colossus and Horizon Zero Dawn, is now available for those of you who support the Cane and Rinse Patreon for the minimum of 78p or $1 a month!

August Monthly 'cast
DomsBeard

Re: August's monthly cast

Post by DomsBeard »

Great episode chaps.

Jay the Horizon Zero Dawn art book is good (I have it myself). Just wish it was bigger as there wasn't enough dedicated to the machines in my opinion. Great book though
Suits

Post by Suits »

Great armchair chat lads.

Couple of points I thought may help, or add to the thought process/questions raised.

I can’t stress how good the C&R t-shirts are, the quality is far superior to say other podcast shirts that may have been once were available…. Seriously.

The forum is perfect vehicle for discussion and timeless conversation, salient points are quickly accessible and the raft of game threads saved to the boards makes for a super accessible library of conversation and opinion that no other medium can deliver. As a user it’s s great place to put things down, as personally for me, when I put thoughts down on here it’s refines my own opinion of games. I love the forum.

The evolution of the monthly podcast is great, it feels natural, comfortable and interesting to say the very least. Monthly is good, it gives enough material to discuss and I enjoy the Directors cut synopsis of the usual weekly podcast and SoP episodes. It’s good to hear you both discuss various topics in a less analytical style. I’d not be surprised if other members of the C&R team are soon asking to be part of this pipe and armchair society.

I literally imaging Leon and Jay sitting in wingback chesterfields smoking pipes and nibbling cheese while this is recorded.

I’m in dire need for a new coffee cup so I’m holding out for one of those bad boys. A brand that I’ve always used is Oggi, these tend to be very good quality that last for years. My son has lost my current Oggi lid, which is why I need a new one. Mind, I’m not even sure that these would be an option but are a brand that I always go for. Also, as a preference, I go for the normal, non-lockable lids as these fit my face/beard a lot better.

Looking forward to next months already.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: September 4th, 2018, 8:28 am The forum is perfect vehicle for discussion and timeless conversation, salient points are quickly accessible and the raft of game threads saved to the boards makes for a super accessible library of conversation and opinion that no other medium can deliver. As a user it’s s great place to put things down, as personally for me, when I put thoughts down on here it’s refines my own opinion of games. I love the forum.
I concur. This forum is a wonderful place and I hope that it will at least maintain its current level of activity in the foreseeable future.

But like Jay mentioned on the minicast, it is unfortunate how little cross-pollination there seems to be between the team and the community. I think having a clear barrier would make sense if the amount of daily community contributors was in the hundreds, but let's be real, there are only about 15 or 20 forum regulars. Not that many more than official panel members. And at this point, I feel like the invisible wall between the two is doing more harm than good.

Case in point: I know that Leah is an expert in all things JRPGs, that Sean loves the new GoW, and that Jay is a massive MGS fan, but if I or anyone else were to write a passionate forum post on any of those topics tomorrow, the probability of either of these folks reading and responding to it would be incredibly low. Which is rather discouraging, to be honest. I know that at least Leon and Michiel try their best to check in on us every once in a while, but there have been plenty of interesting forum conversations in the past that would have benefited from a wider variety of perspectives.

I'm going to be blunt: it rings hollow to preach the virtue of the forum on every issue of the podcast while the majority of panel members appear to be more interested in twitter than in their own community. This place has more to offer than a handful of quotes in the podcast threads. But like any other social activity, it can only last as long as people are willing to put time and effort into it.

If you ask me, finding a way to merge the slack channel with the forum would be beneficial for everybody involved and organically lead to more fruitful and lively discussions. I understand that you guys obviously need a private platform to plan out your shows in advance, but surely a moderator-only subforum wouldn't be completely out of the question?

Just my two cents, as someone who loves the show, who loves to contribute to community discussions whenever possible and who is a bit disappointed with the way things are at the moment.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Gotta be honest it's hard to disagree with you there C.

The points you make are true, it's just a hard thing to change.

I think the possible reason for any potential split could be rooted in accessibility.

For most, the simplicity of Twitter and its single finger usage is key for a lot of people and is their choice of media due to its ease of use.

I wonder if most of the regular forum users are desk/computer based people.

There used to be an App called TapaTalk which would wrap forums into a really simple easy to use UI for phones - it worked fantastically well and gave the forum a massive boost in terms of mobile accessibility and traffic soared. However, it seems the App has been neglected and is some sort of nonsense advert ridden thing now. Shame.

It's a tricky one but higher numbers and traffic inst always the answer, the cream will always rise to the top and if someone feels like they have something serious they want to contribute - I'm sure they take the time to post.

It'll be interesting to see if the conversation about the forum and the positive light shone on it in this podcast will any impact.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I tend to agree and I will pass this on - via Slack(!) - to the team.

I will say that Darren also posts here as much as he can.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: September 5th, 2018, 10:36 amI wonder if most of the regular forum users are desk/computer based people.
I access the forum exclusively from my phone. No special app, just using Chrome on the phone. It does format perfectly for mobile screen.

Playing Devils Advocate, I'm not sure I can see the issue with the podcast hosts not being hugely active on the forum. It would be great if they were, but only because it would mean more people were using the forum. I feel like we have a really nice community, and I quite like the fact I 'know' everyone who posts. And I use that word loosely, I don't 'know' you, but most of us have been posting here 4-5 years, so you know what I mean.

I don't think you can encourage anyone to use a forum more. You're either a forum user or you're not. I've been posting on forums for 20 odd years, and most of my time online is spent on them, but some people just aren't as interested. Maybe it's down to who you have in real life. Sad as it sounds, I don't really have any real life friends who play games, at least they're not as in to them as I am. I find forums the only place I can really talk about them, but I guess if you have people you already talk with or game regularly with then forums just don't hold as much interest.

I suppose if there's a private group for podcasts hosts - which of course there absolutely ought to be - then maybe those people get their game chat fix from that group and don't need forums as much? I don't know. I feel like I've not really contributed to the discussion much here, but that's my $0.02 anyway!

TL;DR - Would be great if the podcast hosts posted here more because more people equals more diverse chat, but totally understand forums aren't for everyone and people may have their own communities.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I think my issue is not posting. I check in a lot and read posts, but rarely say anything. Need to adjust that.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I post 50% from work desk and 50% from my phone.

I agree with KSubs points but I do not miss having the hosts on here. If I feel like interacting with them I usually use Twitter but that is mainly to Leon and Karl about football rather than videogames.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I try to be active on here as much as I can but find it to be a concious/clever thing rather than a brain fart like twitter (which I’ve almost abandoned)

I appreciate the concern about the lack of interaction with us but when you consider we do all of this from our free time, which feels less and less now I’m a dad, I feel I do alright on here.

Hope this helps!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

dezm0nd wrote: September 5th, 2018, 3:52 pm I appreciate the concern about the lack of interaction with us but when you consider we do all of this from our free time, which feels less and less now I’m a dad, I feel I do alright on here.
Of course, I'm not trying to put any pressure on anyone! :)

My line of thinking is simply: If the forum became the de facto "one-stop-shop" about everything CaR-related for the team and community alike, then it would be for everybody's benefit without adding to any existing workload. The way it is now, people mostly stay on their allocated side of the fence and there might be room for improvement on that front.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Trouble is though that Slack is infinitely superior for team management and admin, the forum is much more suited to persistent, long form discussion.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Checking in simply to say that I really enjoy the atmosphere and tone of this forum and think it's to be cherished.

It definitely brings out my better sides as a long-time forum user because I almost always try to make a decent effort when posting on here, without resorting to glibness or sarcasm as much as is humanly possible for me. I also do follow a lot of the forum members on Twitter and without knowing knowing them, I feel I would be totally comfortable and happy going to a C&R forum meet, for example, which I couldn't say about a lot of 'online spaces'. Now, that may or may not ever happen but it says a lot about this little community, in my eyes.

Whether it can be developed further, I have no idea, I'm afraid. I've been on one other forum for a good fifteen years and despite massive commitment from the mods and attempts to adapt and respond and react to changes in online discourse and habits, I get the impression that it's slowly, inevitably fading away. I find it really sad but as a medium, forums seem to be struggling vainly to compete. How wonderful and memorable it is to receive a handwritten letter, I'm sure anyone would agree, but the last one I received or sent was eleven years ago...I'd argue that not many people know or value the quality of forums, and for those who do, they likely have a lot less time than they did when forums were booming.

On the flip, if any community is able to sustain and develop a forum, I'd say C&R has as good a chance as anywhere. It does inevitably attract feedback and contributions for the show even if not everyone chooses to stick around as much for the other discussions. Also - and please do correct me - I imagine that Cane and Rinse attracts a slightly more distinguished user who is familiar with the halcyon days of forums and boards from the early 2000s. Maybe old gits are the future! :D

Anyway, I've neither suggestions nor requests but I just wanted to say how highly I rate this cosy corner of the Internet. Long may it continue.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

It's a shame that Slack-like features can't be incorporated into our forum such as being able to see when someone is replying to your post in real-time.

It'd be great to switch to a cloud based forum but there's always a per month subscription incurred unlike most standard forum software which is either free or requires a one-off payment and compared to a more traditional forum costs considerably more (cheapest I could find was $600 per year, going up to $4800).

There's also the high probability that we'd have to start fresh too, losing six years of members and more importantly, posts if we were to do this.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback folks, no doubt we'll discuss this matter further in the next monthly recording.
Suits wrote: September 4th, 2018, 8:28 am I literally imaging Leon and Jay sitting in wingback chesterfields smoking pipes and nibbling cheese while this is recorded
More likely, in my case at least, sitting in unwashed sweatpants with a bag of Haribo!
DomsBeard wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 2:23 pm Jay the Horizon Zero Dawn art book is good (I have it myself). Just wish it was bigger as there wasn't enough dedicated to the machines in my opinion.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to pick this up very soon I reckon.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Not sure where to ask this question so thought I would ask it here.

I have noticed that the older podcasts tend to have more swearing. I’ve mainly noticed this because my wife berates me when the kids are in the car and there’s swearing on the radio.

It’s almost nonexistent on the more recent episodes. Was that a conscious decision or pure luck? If it was conscious it would be great to know roughly when so I can keep those for solo commutes.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We'll cover this in the next monthly cast as well but yes, we chose to make it a non-explicit cast from issue 101 onwards (after the first two years).

The main reason being precisely the type scenario you mention above, as well as making our shows more accessible to a broader audience, including making it suitable for use in an educational environment.
Furthermore, it also encourages us to be more thoughtful and creative with language, rather than leaning on swears.

I absolutely love a swear in real life and appreciate the power and humour that they can provide, but for Cane and Rinse we felt the show would be better off without, on balance.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 9th, 2018, 1:00 pm ... we chose to make it a non-explicit cast from issue 101 onwards
Uh huh... Once Jay got Heavy Rain out of the way...?

:lol:
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79uk wrote: September 9th, 2018, 1:18 pm Uh huh... Once Jay got Heavy Rain out of the way...?
Kinda true actually, we got some feedback at the time for that particular show and despite me telling the author of said feedback to go fuck himself (I should add, more because he was a hypocritical asshole than just criticising the show), we actually figured it'd do us more favours to cut all swearing from the show from that point going forward for the reasons Leon mentioned.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

thanks for the quick answer.

You guys have a refreshing grasp on the English language so its for the benefit of the show when you flex your vocabulary muscles. I’ll keep shows 1-101 for my child free commutes.

I suspect the Detroit show (if you cover it) will be tricky for Jay haha.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I find it quite satisfying when I'm on a show and instead of a swear, I think more creatively about my words (not all the time, mind).

The show is definitely better for it although a few low grade swears have made it through over the years!