The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Couldn’t agree more.
Craig

Post by Craig »

A quick glance over the tweet and most the tweets seemed to be saying to stay safe and the like. There were a few slightly crass but ultimately well meaning tweets saying "I'm disappointed, but makes sense" and then a handful of human detritus. Unfortunately, the latter of which gets completely amplified despite it either being a tiny tiny portion of folk or just folk trolling. Either way, best not waste oxygen on them.

Nature has been treating Japan pretty rough this year. This morning two major airports were out of service because of two unrelated natural events. This is coming straight after dangerously hot record breaking summer, and just before that torrential rains causing flooding and landslides.

Regarding the topic at hand though, I'm looking forward to hearing more details about the online service and Chris Scullion on Twitter has hinted that they'll be announcing two games that they previously had to push back. He has an inside source of kinds and has secretly announced things on twitter before and then revealed himself after the direct. (He tweeted a bunch normally, and then pointed out that if you read the first word of his recent tweets it made a sentence.)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I have trouble believing that Twitter is home to despicable, childish, stupid behavour! There's certainly been no president... uh, I mean precedent for such things?
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

They don't make it easy for themselves, or us, do they?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -fair-play
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: September 6th, 2018, 8:19 am Oh, it seems that there was nasty earthquake in Japan overnight and Nintendo has delayed the planned Direct that was scheduled for tonight.

I hope it wasn't too bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45429673
The new time of this will be tomorrow at 11PM BST.

A week exactly after it was originally scheduled.
Suits

Post by Suits »

That delightful Super Smash Brother Pro Controller is also up for pre-order on the UK Store now.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-s ... 68555.html
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, I'm in. Looking forward to what they have in store.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Good to see the smash hype is brewing with new peripherals but if it ain’t a GameCube controller then I don’t wanna know! I embrace all versions of Smash but I must admit I’m a stickler for the GCN controller. Same with Super Monkey Ball. Those two games In particular just don’t feel right without one
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: September 12th, 2018, 8:41 pm Good to see the smash hype is brewing with new peripherals but if it ain’t a GameCube controller then I don’t wanna know! I embrace all versions of Smash but I must admit I’m a stickler for the GCN controller.
I've still got my Wii U GC adapter and quite a few GC pads, at least enough to hold a 4P game with the ideal controller.

That said, I've put my name down for the Ultimate Edition of SSB which comes with the new GC pad and adapter anyway, so it will be cool to have a brand new GC controller too 8-) .

I've never been a fan of SSB's, so I'm going all out on this one in terms of giving it a proper go.

We'll see.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There’s a mega edition with a cube pad?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I feel like I always go through the same cycle with the Nintendo Direct:

1. I get hyped whenever one is announced.
2. My mind is racing with theories and speculations during the days leading up to it.
3. I watch it with bated breath, waiting for the same four franchises to appear.
4. They don't appear, but I don't get mad because I understand that Nintendo is trying to appeal to a wide variety of different audiences and seems to be doing a pretty good job overall.
5. "Oh, well. Maybe next time..."

:lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Well, I haven’t watched it but the highlights certainly have me excited!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I’m probably reading too much into it but the short trailer for LM3 shows a really tall mansion behind the logo indicating that it’s going to be one massive mansion rather than progressing back and forth. Either way I’m very excited!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Well, personally I thought that went really well last night. Better than Nintendo’s E3 presentation anyway.

All the clues were there when you look back at it, the re-master of the first game, the beautiful cut SSB cut-scene with Luigi in a mansion with a new Poltergust but a new Luigi's Mansion is coming - which I'm very pleased with.

Bowser’s Inside Story being re-mastered for the 3DS is cool and continues the trend and touching up the M&L series and adding a few bits onto it.

City Skylines, I thought looked choppy as hell and even if I was tempted by it on Switch – I might have been put off it by seeing how framey it looked in the video.

The Animal Crossing announcement was a proper wind up – I was up, then I was down, then I was angry then I was relieved. Not sure if it was a good experience or not really :lol: . Overall though it’s a big positive I feel, albeit we don’t know anything about it – after all, this could end up being amiibo Festival 2……..

New Super Mario Bros. U is a nice touch, again it’s another port of a Wii U game, a good game that not a lot of people actually played. I know a few people who are new to consoles again since the PS2, who have plumped for a Switch and are thirsty for a classic 2D Mario game – this will quench that I’m sure.

I’ll buy and play through this again I’m sure – even if it’s just for world 5.

A little bit more of Daemon X Machina, which was welcome and I’m interested to play.

Yoshi’s Crafted World is a clear winner for me, something we knew was coming and now we have a Spring release date for a game that was originally slated for this year and missed.

The slight flash of Metroid on the NES was re-assuring and upon further digging around it seems that that will be joining the service in November. The £17.99 a year subscription may seem like a bit of a liberty considering there’s still no headset voice chat but I think there is substantial value in having that NES catalogue available to players that would be interested in it. If people are not, then yes, the £18 won’t seem worth it – so I suppose people won’t get it, you don’t have to after all.

Then there’s the NES themed Joy-Con esc controllers, that are available to online subscribers only, which on the surface seems odd.

However, there will be extremely reduced functionality of these classic controllers for people that don’t have the NES library – so by gating them behind the fact that you essentially can only use them if you have the NES games, makes sense in a roundabout way.

Imaging the drama online if little Timmy bought these but couldn’t use them with his favourite Mario Odyssey game, even if it said it on the box. These are for the NES classic only, simple as that.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Lots for me to love about that Direct too.

Just one note about NSMBU Suits; that and Luigi actually sold nearly 10 million copies!
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 14th, 2018, 10:18 am Just one note about NSMBU Suits; that and Luigi actually sold nearly 10 million copies!
Haha, just slightly off with my 'No-body played it' remark then :lol: .
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Looking forward to the Final Fantasys arrival on Switch.

Never given IX or X a decent shot

Been meaning to give XV another go too so might try the pocket one once I look into how different it is.
Craig

Post by Craig »

The NSMB games are one of those games which has a weird online bubble - the conversation seems to be generally negative or apathetic, but they consistently sell boatloads. Usually more than their 3D counterparts. And I’d imagine the costs to make them are pretty cheap!

Really happy with the direct and all the announcements. I reckon Nintendo online will be pretty good. I predict that this time next year (just around when those annual subscriptions are due to expire) they’re going to pull out SNES games are coming!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m actually more likely to play these Final Fantasy releases on XBO for some reason.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: September 14th, 2018, 2:03 pm I’m actually more likely to play these Final Fantasy releases on XBO for some reason.
Achievements ??