Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79 »

Hollow Knight gets PS4 release date; September 25th.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/09 ... ease-date/

:D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, sweet. Looking forward to diving into that one after everything I've heard.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

With all the Nintendo stuff last night, this PS4 game from Square with mech and character designs from MGS stalwart Shinkawa has flown a bit under the radar.

It looks sorta generic, but if you go dig out the website and look at the 2d key art it looks a lot like a lost metal gear game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Left Alive has been on my radar ever since I saw the character design. I don't know how to feel about the game itself, from everything I've seen it could go either way really. Janky trash or future cult classic, only time will tell. Hoping for the latter, obviously.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just Cause 4 is looking good.

https://www.pcgamer.com/just-cause-4-sh ... new-video/

I'll admit, I really love these games. Senseless, dumbass fun. Just Cause 2 is still one of my favorite games ever, I spent so long in that world just messing about, grinning all the time.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

whoop whoop
Lookin' gooood.

Edit: Looks like Halo Infinite will have microtransactions and adopt the "Games as a Service"-model.

Breaks my heart to hear that. A proper return to form for the franchise might have been an XBO system-seller for me. How the mighty has fallen.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Slowly but surely I'm coming around on DMC5. Still a lot about it I'm not too thrilled with, but I think I can get over most of it for the cool stuff that is there. I'm glad they showed some other environments. Was hoping we wouldn't be just stuck in a boring city for the whole game (even if it is clearly modelled after London). Dante's new weapons look cool, that boss looks really cool, and V seems pretty interesting. Anyone else think he looks like an edgy Adam Driver?

Also there was some interesting news about the music of the game since that trailer came out. Apparently the vocalist they got on board for it was involved in some very unsavoury stuff, so Capcom almost immediately backtracked on being associated with him, and seem to be scrubbing his work out of the game. A lot of people are happy about this, since the particular song he was doing vocals on (Dante's battle theme, the one in that trailer) didn't get a great response. I haven't heard the vocal version of the track, just the instrumental, which seemed alright to me. That said, I am aware of the band the guy is from (Suicide Silence), and from what I've heard, they're pretty awful. So I can imagine why people wouldn't like his work in this game either. I would prefer the game have as little to with him or the band as possible. But if they just got some decent vocals on that backing track, that song could be pretty cool. Given how late in development the game probably is by now, I expect that will happen.

Another related piece of news on the game though gives us another option. They put out some details on the Deluxe Edition, which among other things, allows you to change the music of the game to anything from previous games in the series. So if you just want to hear the old classic tunes, then you never have to hear any of this new stuff at all. Pretty good bonus I think.

On the Halo thing, that's pretty sad. We should have obviously expected it I suppose. After 5 I was completely done with the series. That was the point when they ruined it beyond all repair in my view. Yet I couldn't help but give them a little bit of the benefit of the doubt when they announced Infinite. It seemed like they had learned some hard lessons from 5, and were making a strong point of going in a different direction, even if the game is still technically the 6th mainline game. They even used that song from the Halo 3 trailer! You don't use that piece of music unless you're serious about what you're doing! Guess it turns out they were serious about mining nostalgia, and the game is going to be more exploitative garbage. And all this after Forza made a big noise about going in the opposite direction too! Thought MS was starting to learn! But of course not.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I don’t think it’s entirely surprising that Halo Inf will be service based. Looking at other MS games present and future they’re all looking to go into gamepass and hoover up any additional revenue.

As long as the game/campaign is good, I don’t really mind. I won’t buy them.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Scrustle wrote: September 21st, 2018, 8:21 pm Slowly but surely I'm coming around on DMC5.
I know the series means a lot to you so I'm very glad to hear that. I told you not to give up hope! :)

The game does look really good. Although I'm still not a big fan of the photo-realistic RE engine they're using, as I prefer games (especially action games) to have a more stylised look. With that said, it feels like Itsuno is putting a lot of love and effort into it, and I'm always looking forward to what passionate directors can do with a decent budget behind them. I don't buy many games at launch these days, but this will definitely be a Day 1 purchase for me. Deluxe Edition with the soundtrack options, of course. ^^

I'm not sold on V yet. Having another overdesigned young white male as a third playable protagonist feels like a missed opportunity in a way. Hardly a deal-breaker though, and I suppose it will come down to his writing and gameplay characteristics.

I didn't buy an Xbox One despite adoring classic Halo because I wasn't sold on 343's handling of the franchise from 4 onwards. I was holding out hope for a return to form for the franchise and some sort of sweet Halo-themed bundle for the past few years, but this nonsense probably puts the last nail in the coffin for me. The classic games are still fantastic and there are plenty of other great games vying for my attention anyway. 3 has a beautiful sense of melancholic closure and I'm happy to leave it at that.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I might be late in reading this but I just heard telltale games have reportedly laid off the majority of their staff and cancelled a load of projects!

I feel bad for not buying the latest walking dead now and am gutted the wolf among us follow up won’t see the light of day.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s a developing story, and likely the early reports are wrong about the details.

But it does seem like they’ve dropped everyone that wasn’t on the final season of waklking dead and all those projects are dead.

Some reports say they’ve filed for bankruptcy, but journalists doing some actual work before reporting the story say there’s no legal filing that they can find at this point. California employment law is not as pushover as it is in most states (though still poor compared to what Europeans are used to) so they’re likely making sure they file whatever they’re filing properly.

It’s hard to see how their existing games can survive either, none of them are wholly Telltale’s own IP so the legals of selling them on to new publishers will be pretty messy (Disney and Warner are unlikely to want their IPs going to anyone they don’t already deal with, HBO and AMC might be more amenable)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's very sad of course for the employees but I can't help but feel that the higher-ups oversaturated a near-monopoly and tread water for much too long with their engine.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m pretty saddened by this. Although my affection for them has lessened since the days they brought sam n max back from the dead I still thought they were a great team. As a whole I found every one of their games offered me something different and I always looked forward to what they did next.

As a casual observer I thought they were one of the more solid studios and didn’t think for a minute they would be closing their doors or winding down in this way. I’m really shocked.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Just in case someone would like to catch up on some of the greatest visual novels ever made.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really didn't get on with that series. I found the courtroom stuff interesting, but the gameplay in between just bored me to tears. I really wanted to love it but found myself almost skipping text as quick as I could in the latter cases!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Some of my fondest DS memories were playing the first game on a night bus home after work when I lived in China, freezing my bollocks off and sleeping in two pairs of jeans and a hat. The otherworldly goofy naivety was a blessed source of comfort during those dark, dreary and bitterly cold days, along with rice wine.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Dope.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 9:56 pm Some of my fondest DS memories were playing the first game on a night bus home after work when I lived in China, freezing my bollocks off and sleeping in two pairs of jeans and a hat. The otherworldly goofy naivety was a blessed source of comfort during those dark, dreary and bitterly cold days, along with rice wine.
Huh, that sounds like a trying time of life mate.

There’s a lot to be said about how games can form such an escapism that seemingly trying times can be looked back on fondly.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sony have capitulated. There will be all format cross platform play, starting with Fortnite, but expect the floodgates to open very quickly.