Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
duskvstweak

Re: The World Cup 2018

Post by duskvstweak »

Okay, so as an American with no real knowledge of the sport, how would I go about getting into the sport so I can be excited for the next World Cup? How do I follow the sport, where do I watch it, ect? Advice?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Do you have ESPN? I believe that’s where they show the English Premier League in the US.

Possibly Major League Soccer too, but if you want a higher overall standard you’ll need to seek out the top European leagues.

The Brazilian league is worth a look too, for the history, culture and passion.

The best way to get the bug though is probably to attend a live game with a knowledgable and committed fan.

Come over and I’ll take you to the Albion!
😉
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 5:22 pm Okay, so as an American with no real knowledge of the sport, how would I go about getting into the sport so I can be excited for the next World Cup? How do I follow the sport, where do I watch it, ect? Advice?
It's been 20 years since I followed football with any regularity, but I would suggest simply watching a historic match from start to finish. The 2005 Champions League final is widely considered to be one of the sport's standout moments (although, maybe the experts can correct me on that). Here's a full video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ikxi8

My advice would be to treat it as a live match, i.e. set the quality to max, go full screen, don't look up the score beforehand, only pause when necessary, and see if you can get into the energy and spectacle of the sport.

If it clicks with you and you want to see more, I would say that the major football events are probably the World Cup, Euro Cup (international competitions), and the Champions League (club competition) all of which happen semi-regularly.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Other US friends of mine have found that a good way to get into the English premier league is to pick a team that isn’t one of the big well known ones and follow their ups and downs.

A good bet for entertainment that will be quite the rollercoaster would be to follow Fulham this year I think.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I wouldn't know where to start in regard getting into football, but everyones suggestions so far are solid.

Regards picking a team to watch/follow for the season, Flabyo's suggestion is a good one, although I find with promoted teams the back end of the season is often a bit flat - if they reach 38 points by Spring.

I'd be tempted to keep an eye on Everton this season, as they've been threatening for a while but seem to be getting themselves into some sort of order and will probably go big in the market come January, which is often exciting.

Money, expectation, potential, Goodison Park and serious fans is always a good mix. A few big wins, a few big loses and a global derby are guaranteed. I expect them to finish upper mid table but I feel it will be an exciting journey to follow.

The only other thing I'd maybe suggest is to follow any potential team you choose on Reddit, thats always great to look at each day and see whats going on with a club. I won't be long and you'll be up to speed with what is going on at that club.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Follow Brighton & Hove Albion.
Suits

Post by Suits »

:lol:

Whoever you choose, “Choose, Wisely....”

And make sure it’s not Tottenham.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Sounds like the big problem for me is not having cable! Is there a online option for me?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 7:30 pm Follow Brighton & Hove Albion.
Well if you’re going to glory hunt...
Suits

Post by Suits »

On the whole Everton may be fun to follow this season - they seem to have had a strong transfer window......
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

As an Evertonian, I can confirm that it's a great choice. Get in now to experience the brief glimpses of hope, joy and optimism before it is counterbalanced by a progressive exploration of despair and despondency. Joking aside (and I'm not really joking), this is shaping up to be a really interesting season. New manager, new director of football, excellent summer transfer business, lots of older/shitter players have been offloaded/put out to pasture, some exciting new players, mixture of youth and experience. The only downside is that the Red Shite are likely to be competing for the league but their inevitable near miss will likely be another highlight of our season.

I can recommend the Everton subreddit, a really great bunch of lads and lasses and there are plenty of American Evertonians there (because Tim Howard and Landon Donovan played for us) as well as a decent group of locals. It's a spirited bunch.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

duskvstweak wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 5:22 pm Okay, so as an American with no real knowledge of the sport, how would I go about getting into the sport so I can be excited for the next World Cup? How do I follow the sport, where do I watch it, ect? Advice?
Everton are making a great start, by the way. New signing Richarlison has scored three in two, and we got several new boys just started training but yet to start a match so plenty more to come.

Now is your chance :D
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Looks like Brighton are the team to follow right now;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

Post by ratsoalbion »

I realise that there aren't many (any) other Brighton & Hove Albion fans on here, but if you want to hear what I get up to on Saturday mornings (LIVE by the way), you can now catch up on YouTube:

You can listen live wherever you are at 11am (UK) on Saturdays here: http://1btn.fm/
Or DAB, the TuneIn App or 101.4FM
Suits

Post by Suits »

Just as articulate with football as you are with video games dude.

I enjoy listening to sensible fans talk about their club and background activities - that otherwise I'd have no insight in at all.

Couple of beers, bag of nuts and non-banter football chat is incredible.

You must enjoy doing this an awful lot.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's very kind of you to say, Nick.

Yes, it is a real pleasure. Takes out a big chunk of my Friday to prepare - and Saturday morning to get to the studio and back - for an hour of airtime that always races by!

But there is a buzz to live broadcasting, and it's nice to have a platform to talk BHAFC - and moan about my fellow fans (the annoying ones)!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I know next to nothing about football so I can't really comment on the commentary itself, but skimming through it I have to echo Nick in that you seem to be enjoying this immensely. Always nice to hear people talk about things they're passionate about. I take it this is simply your local football team you're so fond of?

Little things like these, when amateur enthusiasts have the opportunity to immortalize their thoughts and share their passion with a wider audience, is where the internet and modern technology really shine, I think. Bridging the gap between professional and amateur content is something that we mostly take for granted nowadays.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I have a pal (wifes friends, husband) that's a pretty serious Everton fan, to which whenever we get together, he comes prepared to tell me about the state of the club - from his POV obviously.

The youth players that have promise and the state of the backroom etc... who he thinks is undervalued at the club and the direction of the board. I love it.

Football chat is all opinion but the best opinions, or the opinions I prefer the most come from grounded fact, or experience.

I have to say I though that this years BBC World Cup panel was fantastic, I generally stay away from football punditry and try to gleam my opinions from watching as much football as I can and talking to as many fans as I can - However, some of the opinions and tales told by players like Rio Ferdinand, Francesc Fabregas, Drogba and Alex Scott were excellent and gave a glimpse top tier preparation, habit and process.

The Chelsea situation you spoke about is one me and mates have barked about for a while now, they have a sort of magic circle down there for churning out massively superior cup teams and the English players they have been harvesting are starting to shine. Chalobah never really took off, Ake is playing top flight football regularly and the raft of winners they have floating about all over the divisions is scary. RLCheek looks like a powerful lad and seems to glide about the place with grace. No surprise a few of their gems are up at Pride Park now that Lampard is there.

Wrongly or rightly, the Chelsea set up is one that produces. Their previous efforts of taking chances on young European talent worked out well, the ones that stayed, stayed the ones that left Chelsea got their investment back on - albeit I'm sure a few conversations have been had about how De Bruyne, Salah and Lakaku are superstars, still in England, playing for teams beating Chelsea.

That method of spotlight investment seems to have died down now and they switched to the youth system shortly after that, with mixed results I suppose but they seemingly have a pool of players at their fingertips.

The players seem to be happy too. I know Jody Morris was down there for a while and a lot of the FA Cup youth success could be pinned on him, now that he's gone to Derby who know how that will affect things but I think a lot of clubs and the FA should look hard at what Chelsea do down there with youth and how it's developing a good deal of talented footballers.

I'm rambling on now.

I very much enjoyed your Seagull chat though :lol: .

***I'm certainly not a Chelsea fan BTW.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 14th, 2018, 3:39 pmI take it this is simply your local football team you're so fond of?
In essence, that's it, but there's a lot more to it emotionally than that.

I've been going to watch them since my Uncle started taking me when I was 11 years old, and the team had recently dropped from the old 1st Division (the English top flight - now The Premier League).

In the intervening 35 years or so the club was asset-stripped, ended up with no stadium, one of the worst professional teams in the country playing in the fourth division and was literally minutes away from being shut down altogether.

Since that lowest ebb in the late 1990s - and thanks in no small part to us supporters being politically active, protesting, lobbying parliament, etc. - the club has slowly and steadily risen to the position we're in now, which is with a beautiful modern stadium to play in and trying to survive among the uber-rich elite in the Premier League.

It's been, and still is, an incredible journey, and a massive part of my life.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I have a funny affinity with Brighton football club in that whenever I used to play championship manager I would pick them as my team wasn’t available.

I love an underdog and everything about them at the moment has me rooting for them to do well. I’m also a huge fan of Chris Hughton who has been hard done by in the past despite being successful wherever he has gone. Glad that he’s been given the chance and has brought success to Brighton. This season will be interesting particularly with wolves and Fulham investing heavily to avoid the drop.

I’ve always told myself I’d like to see my team reach the “big time” once in my life although I doubt they will. So at least my champ manager team have:) I’ll be keeping my eye on them this year.