Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 16th, 2018, 7:23 am I got a bad ending on Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

So I guess the idea is to go back and play the branches I missed? I suspect there is something I'm not getting here.
Yep:
KSubzero1000 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 1:47 pm I adore the Zero Escape series of visual novels, but since they absolutely require multiple playthroughs in order to understand the whole story, I hesitate to recommend them to to you since this doesn't seem to be your thing. It'd be worth it, though!
You've seen nothing yet. Keep going. ;)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

*narrows eyes*

Hmmm.

So there are three major branches on the storyline screen where I think I can just go to the branch and choose different rooms (right near the end). However there are some decisions right back at the start which I assume affect paths at the end....is it recommended to go back and redo those choices first (I don't even know what they are, different team composition per door, or choosing different dialogue?) in order to save time with the ending branches? Ie in order not to play through the whole thing six or seven times but just to see the endings. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 16th, 2018, 7:37 am So there are three major branches on the storyline screen where I think I can just go to the branch and choose different rooms (right near the end). However there are some decisions right back at the start which I assume affect paths at the end....is it recommended to go back and redo those choices first (I don't even know what they are, different team composition per door, or choosing different dialogue?) in order to save time with the ending branches? Ie in order not to play through the whole thing six or seven times but just to see the endings. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Most of the branching paths lead to bad endings, which aren't necessary to get, especially if you just want to see the main story.

The decisions affecting the story paths are simply based on which doors you go through, plus some minor requirements for the true ending.

Here's what I would suggest so that you don't waste precious time and patience on bad endings: First, go back at the start and go through Doors 5, 8, and 6. This should give you the most essential secondary ending which is required in order to unlock the true ending.

Once that's done, go back at the start and then through Doors 4, 7, and 1. Along the way:

*During the cabin sequence in Door 4, a character will offer you a bookmark. Accept it.

*During the freezer sequence in Door 4, a character will offer to tell you a story about ice-9. Hear the story (select the "It did strike Junpei as rather odd" choice.)

*During the first puzzle room in Door 7, you will be offered the opportunity to tell a character about ice-9. Tell them.

*During the second puzzle room in Door 7, you will be offered the opportunity to give a character the bookmark. Give it to them.

And now you should be on the path to the true ending! Enjoy. :)

PS: I tried to keep that as spoiler-free as possible. Here's a visual reference if that helps: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/nin ... 1102092458
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Well, thank you very much indeed! I will try the 5, 8 & 6 one and see how that pans out. I really hope there is a decent payoff, but at least I will see some of the game as it was meant to be experienced :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 16th, 2018, 8:06 am I really hope there is a decent payoff
I promise there will be at the end! And if not, remember: plushies, tea, and gummy bears. Win/Win. ;)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The other endings are pretty quick to get if you just jump to the relevant branch in the tree and skip the dialogue you have already seen.

I left the true ending until last. Playing the game multiple times is pretty much essential to the whole experience! Virtue’s last reward expands upon this severalfold although telling you why would result in spoilers so I would encourage you to give it a whirl after (maybe after a visual novel break).
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I absolutely loved thirty flights and Virginia. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll give it a look and let you know what I think.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So in order to hype myself up for the upcoming show, I decided to sneak in a quick impromptu replay of Resident Evil 4 over the weekend. Started yesterday afternoon and 9-10 hours of in-game time later, the credits are rolling and I'm left with a big silly grin on my face.

I honestly feel like I didn't do this game justice with my contribution in the podcast thread... There are so many things I didn't even mention. Sound design being one of them. The various sound cues are incredibly well coordinated and everything just sounds crisp, distinct and carries a surprising amount of mechanical meaning. The music is also superb. Every boss battle has its own musical accompaniment that perfectly sets the mood. From the Verdugo and its full Alien-style high tension to Krauser's malevolent rhythm. It's all so... fitting.

It also bears repeating just how fair everything is. I played on Professional with maxed out hyper-aggressive enemy AI to the point where standard goons were literally surviving hand grenades blowing up right underneath them, and yet every single fail state that occurred and almost every single point of damage that I took was entirely my fault. Never had to fumble around in imprecise real-time radial menus, always had a way to navigate the terrain, always had the perfect amount of time to react to unforeseen circumstances. Plan, act, react, execute. Just raw, precise, deliberate, methodical gameplay that puts every second to good use, never screws the player over and knows how to walk the razor-thin line between challenging and cheap.

It's also one of the last AAA games to be thoroughly, unapologetically gamey. It doesn't feel beholden to real-life logic and doesn't shoe-horn in half-baked explanations for its various systems. Things work the way they work because it benefits the pacing and creates a better gameplaying experience. When returning to the chandelier hall in the castle through the door on the top floor for example, a giant ladder has suddenly been placed right next to the exit. There is no logical reason for it to be there except for providing the player with a quick way back up in case they fall down. That's it. Everything is fluid and responsive and fun. Every single item you pick up is meaningful. No need for long-winded unskippable exposition dumps during otherwise tedious traversal sections. No pointless collectibles. It's closer to Super Mario World than to Horizon: Zero Dawn in that regard.

The polish puts 99,99% of modern non-Nintendo games to shame. Genuine glitches are exceedingly rare, and most of those I've encountered are the direct result of the sloppy 60fps conversion.

This really should be held as the gold standard of the industry for my money. Perfect storm of a great director in his prime with a crystal clear vision, followed by an incredibly talented development team, and backed by a solid budget that didn't have a thousand strings and cynical lowest-common-denominator concessions attached to it.

(Pictured: God Tier attention to detail.)

I'm completely in love. Anyway, bring on the podcast! :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don’t think the podcast can possibly live up to your expectations either tbh!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm I don’t think the podcast can possibly live up to your expectations either tbh!
Well I haven't complained about any of this year's RE shows so far, have I? As far as I'm concerned, you guys are doing a very good job. Is there any reason why this one would be any different? ...You're scaring me all of a sudden! :lol:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve never played it, never even been slightly interested in playing it. We’ll see if the cast changes my mind.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo wrote: September 16th, 2018, 5:53 pm I’ve never played it, never even been slightly interested in playing it. We’ll see if the cast changes my mind.
If our previous podcast on the game didn't, I doubt very much that this one will.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: September 16th, 2018, 5:53 pm I’ve never played it, never even been slightly interested in playing it. We’ll see if the cast changes my mind.
Have you played any of them?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think we’ve been over this on here before, last Resident Evil I played was Code Veronica, which I really didn’t like. And given I never massively liked any of the ones before it (except maybe 3) I don’t consider it much of a loss.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

16-09 Def Jam Fight for NY (Xbox)

First time I played through the story mode on the Xbox version and it was enjoyable as always.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Spoiler: show
Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)
May 25 - Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (Switch)
May 27 - The Sexy Brutale (PC)
Jun 4 - Immortal Redneck (PC)
Jun 5 - Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight (PC)
Jun 11 - Prey (PC)
Jun 14 - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch)
Jun 16 - Scrap Garden (PC)
Jun 17 - LostWinds (PC)
Jun 20 - Straimium Immortaly (PC)
Jun 25 - Dreaming Sarah (PC)
Jun 26 - Poi: Explorer Edition (Switch)
Jun 29 - Dungeon Souls (PC)
Jul 2 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)
Jul 6 - Bleed 2 (Switch)
Jul 11 - Risen (PC)
Jul 18 - Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC)
Jul 22 - Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten (PC)
Aug 8 - Styx: Master of Shadows (PC)
Aug 9 - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)
Aug 15 - Owlboy (Switch)
Aug 18 - DOOM [2016] (PC)
Aug 21 - Unbox: Newbie's Adventure (PC)
Sept 5 - Nioh (PC)

The Dark Souls comparisons are unavoidable here because that is what this game is, except with a Japanese setting. There isn't a single world to explore but everything is mission based. The levels themselves are really well designed having the expected loop backs and twisty areas. What I don't care about are the side missions. They are all either reused main mission areas or are new areas that you see several times only in the side missions. Feels a bit like padding there.

The combat is as expected but with a couple additions. You can see enemy Ki (stamina) bars under their health. Human enemies have the normal Ki drain on blocking/attacking and regenerate otherwise. They get stunned for a finisher when fully drained (the same goes for you). Yokai enemies, on the other hand, have their Ki drained only when getting hit and only regenerate if standing in a yokai realm pool (certain attacks create them). When drained, every single hit they attack staggers them so you can get in loads of hits. Hitting certain weak spots will instantly drain their Ki. It helps keep the combat fresh though there are way, way more yokai enemies than human ones.

I enjoyed the game but was brought down by a couple things. The first is a big one. Enemy damage is way too high. Most enemies in the game can kill you in 2 hits (some even in 1) from full. It makes healing while you are still at 70% feel like a waste but also needed to live their attacks. I'll admit I played through with light armor but looking at the stat differences, I can only see it giving you maybe one extra hit. I'm still continuing the game (DLC/NG+)and trying to move to medium armor and may edit this if there is any difference.

Some of the debuffs are also a concern. There is nothing like toxic but I'd take that over the next couple. One is paralyze. It does exactly what it says and leaves you open for a finisher which is almost guaranteed to kill you. This is made worse when the 2nd boss of the game has attacks that will instantly paralyze. The other I hated was slow. It makes everything you do take twice as long. Good luck healing or dodging like that. It is another just about death sentence.

There are a lot of good things here. It just needs to be refined for it to be great for me. Maybe for Nioh 2 but this has tempered expectations for that.

As a minor update, going from light to medium armor did very little to help with incoming damage. Hits to death stayed the same. It is also very weird that the level of the DLC is tuned to be beyond NG+.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Flabyo wrote: September 16th, 2018, 10:11 pm I think we’ve been over this on here before, last Resident Evil I played was Code Veronica, which I really didn’t like. And given I never massively liked any of the ones before it (except maybe 3) I don’t consider it much of a loss.
As I'm sure you know, RE4 plays so differently that it's the 'end' of the series for many hardcore fans of the previous survival horror games.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 16th, 2018, 3:28 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: September 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm I don’t think the podcast can possibly live up to your expectations either tbh!
Well I haven't complained about any of this year's RE shows so far, have I? As far as I'm concerned, you guys are doing a very good job. Is there any reason why this one would be any different? ...You're scaring me all of a sudden! :lol:
Well, it's probably hard to live up to the expectations of someone who analyses a game at the individual-grenade-thrown level of granularity :D

I finished Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for the 'true ending' with KSub's help previously in this thread. It was...

?

Guh!

!!

It was ok, I guess! Fairly preposterous, when all was said and done, but I didn't really know what to expect going in, and was probably expecting something a little more traditional as regards the narrative. I'm assuming that it all tied up pretty tightly within the fairly expansive parameters it set, in the end. Is the appeal of this partcular game, that it weaves all the elaborate plots points and threads into a satisfying whole in the end? Like a detective story?

I don't know that I'll try out its sequel; if you need to use a guide, or at least a lot repetition and trial and error to get to the good endings, I'm not sure that's for me. I appreciate it succeeds very well within its own universe, but to me the game feels more like the narrative equivalent of a sudoku puzzle, if that makes sense.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 17th, 2018, 11:15 am Well, it's probably hard to live up to the expectations of someone who analyses a game at the individual-grenade-thrown level of granularity :D
I'm not expecting some Saurian Dash level of complete mechanical breakdown here! Just the usual mix of thorough research and lively discussions with well-articulated arguments. I doubt anyone will be as passionate about the game as I am, but as long as the criticism is fair, I won't complain. :)

Chopper wrote: September 17th, 2018, 11:15 amIs the appeal of this partcular game, that it weaves all the elaborate plots points and threads into a satisfying whole in the end? Like a detective story?
Basically, yes. The ingenuity of the writing and the precious bits of foreshadowing are what really elevates the game for me. The roller coaster of intense emotions and gut-punching reveals in the true ending had me playing until the break of dawn, crying and cheering and generally just savoring the intense narrative experience. I have fantastic memories of my first playthrough.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with it all the way through to the end, despite it not really being your thing! A mixed response was probably the best case scenario here. And if you want to continue our little back-and-forth, feel free to suggest another title for me to try out anytime. :P
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 17th, 2018, 12:08 pm The ingenuity of the writing and the precious bits of foreshadowing are what really elevates the game for me. The roller coaster of intense emotions and gut-punching reveals in the true ending had me playing until the break of dawn, crying and cheering and generally just savoring the intense narrative experience. I have fantastic memories of my first playthrough.
I could appreciate the cleverness, but the characters didn't really click with me. At the start of the game I often wondered why their backstories weren't filled in a bit (and of course there are reasons for that) in order to flesh them out a little. And the idea that they didn't have time for all that because of the countdown, didn't mesh with the huge chunks of exposition later on. I never really knew where I was with the game, or what to expect - I assume that now I am more familiar with the structure, the next one might be easier.
Anyway, thanks for sticking with it all the way through to the end, despite it not really being your thing! A mixed response was probably the best case scenario here. And if you want to continue our little back-and-forth, feel free to suggest another title for me to try out anytime. :P
We will have to continue this at a later date for sure. The key is to select a game with something interesting to it, not just any old run of the mill thing :)

Unrelated, but I notice you don't say much about 'immersive sims' such as the Deus Ex or Dishonored games. Is there any reason you don't play those? I would have thought they'd be right up your alley.