Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Simonsloth

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Simonsloth »

DomsBeard wrote: August 18th, 2018, 8:06 am Watched A Quiet Place last night. Probably the best film I have seen this year
I really enjoyed it too but I would have liked if it was a bit longer. A strange criticism and may have been to its detriment but when something is great I always wish for more.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Also been watching the new Animal Collective visual album in collaboration with Coral Morphologic. Even if you don't like their music (and this one is very ambient and abstract), the visuals are absolutely incredible.

https://youtu.be/KCup2fmAUuk
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

We've been watching Unforgotten. The first two seasons are on Netflix and the third has just finished airing on ITV (still available on demand)

It's a crime drama, where they're solving historic murders. Each season is one contained story, so you don't have to have watched the previous one, but there is some character development with the supporting cast, so it's worth starting at the beginning.

Only watched two seasons so far. Season one was great, but season two was one of the best British dramas I've seen in years. Absolutely brilliant writing, acting, story. It's really, really good. Definitely recommend it, and it's not normally my type of thing. I generally roll my eyes at the amount of British crime dramas we get on terrestrial telly, but this is well worth your time. Only six episodes each series.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

BlacKkKlansman. Not subtle! But beautiful, and funny, and sad.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I recently watched little film from 2012 called... Ace Attorney!

I went in with the sort of expectation that you'd expect from a "movie-based-on-a-video-game", and I gotta say: I genuinely liked this movie.

It helps that it has a super-prolific, experienced, and talented director like Takashi Miike behind the camera, and despite it's 2 hour and 14 minute running time, it moves along at a good pace, and doesn't drag too much.

It also helps that it has a great cast, and that everyone knows exactly the sort of movie they're in, and delivers exactly the sort of performance this movie needed.

Despite it's IP, this movie is basically a murder-mystery, so that's probably why its works better cinematically than most video-game-to-movie translations. It's the sort of genre thats been around for a long time.

And the wigs... just fantastic wigs.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 14th, 2018, 11:08 pm I recently watched little film from 2012 called... Ace Attorney!

I went in with the sort of expectation that you'd expect from a "movie-based-on-a-video-game", and I gotta say: I genuinely liked this movie.
Yeah mate, best video game adaptation out there if you ask me. With the first Silent Hill being a very close second (although that's a more contentious choice). AA is genuinely entertaining and doesn't take itself seriously one bit.
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 14th, 2018, 11:16 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 14th, 2018, 11:08 pm I recently watched little film from 2012 called... Ace Attorney!

Yeah mate, best video game adaptation out there if you ask me. With the first Silent Hill being a very close second (although that's a more contentious choice). AA is genuinely entertaining and doesn't take itself seriously one bit.
Thank god it's not just me who likes that movie! So much fun...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Takashi Miike directed an Ace Attorney film??!! Wow. That's instantly on my list. Cheers!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just saw Searching. Very good, surprised how tense it was and how effective the "screen" background was.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Watched Deadpool 2 last night. Meh, it was alright. I really enjoyed the first film the first time I saw it, but even the appeal of that had waned by the time I sat through a second viewing. Deadpool 2 was OK, more of the same really. The kid from Hunt For The Wilderpeople was good in it though.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 16th, 2018, 5:01 pm Watched Deadpool 2 last night. Meh, it was alright. I really enjoyed the first film the first time I saw it, but even the appeal of that had waned by the time I sat through a second viewing. Deadpool 2 was OK, more of the same really. The kid from Hunt For The Wilderpeople was good in it though.
I ended up liking the sequel more than the first. I found the humor to be more aligned with my own tastes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah there were some genuinely funny moments, just think I wasn't really in the mood for it last night.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I've been watching Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary. Has kind of put me in a fowl mood. Having to take a break halfway in as to not fall down a angry, depressing hole.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Watched two episodes of Karl Pilkington's Sick of it.

Very much in the style of Louie but with Karls sense of humour in which he plays himself twice, one of which is in his imagination.

Really enjoyed it, but you do need to be in the mood for Karls brain and how he thinks about the world both positively and negatively.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Guess which anime I've been watching

Love this show so much.

Mirio is the best.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m two episodes into Maniac. I really like it so far. I’m savouring it and watching on a proper TV rather than watching it late at night on the phone.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Combine Hunter wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:25 am Guess which anime I've been watching

Love this show so much.

Mirio is the best.
The wait for Season 4 begins!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

For anyone who isn't watching My Hero Academia, this is the action sequence that gif is taken from. Slightly spoilery, but it does such a good job at selling the charm of the show and how well choreographed (I think that word still works, even thought it's animation.) and directed the fights are.

Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:34 am I’m two episodes into Maniac. I really like it so far. I’m savouring it and watching on a proper TV rather than watching it late at night on the phone.
I just got to the end of that last night (won't spoil anything)...

The set design of that show is fantastic! A lot of effort went into the details, like the Sony PVM screens that make appearance; a small, non-plot related detail that only super nerdy CRT's collectors would notice.

Also, I hear TV's are the new phones! ;)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Watched the first two episodes of Ozark last night and I have to say it was very good.