The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo »

Probably. Heh.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I used to be like that as well.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I mean, these are all games I’ve played before that I probably wouldn’t care to play again normally anyway.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The achievements are cool though, especially with games you're already familiar with.

It's fun to see what they are and tick them off. I get that completely.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Craig wrote: September 14th, 2018, 1:48 pm The NSMB games are one of those games which has a weird online bubble - the conversation seems to be generally negative or apathetic, but they consistently sell boatloads. Usually more than their 3D counterparts. And I’d imagine the costs to make them are pretty cheap!
If you ever hear people talking about ranking the Mario games, New Super Mario Bros Wii-U is widely regarded as one of the greatest 2D Mario's ever made. It kind of gets lumped in with the other 'New' 2D games, but most people I've heard enthuse about it say its more on par with SMW on the SNES.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree, both the Wii and Wii U NSMB games are masterclasses in 2D platformer level design. The original DS game was pretty excellent too.

Unfortunately, for many, they are dragged down by that slightly anodyne art style I think. Along with, perhaps, their frequency of release?

I certainly feel more affection for SMB3, SMW and YI, but if you just want to play some top tier 2D Mario platforming, the New games (bar apparently NSMB2 which I haven't played and is sub-par according to many) are bloody fine by my reckoning.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I would have bought those NES Joy-con's in a second (even with reduced functionality)... if only I didn't have to subscribe. And I don't see much to like about this subscription service - it feels like Nintendo thinks it's client base is incredibly untrustworthy, and they need to police and control how they experience they're products.

Oh Nintendo... why do you make it soooo hard for me to like you?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I thought it was a good 'statement' Direct. Nothing that I'm massively popping a boner for but I like the cut of this particular Nintendo jib. New fan fave and slightly niche stuff announced, and Yoshi in particular looks very creative compared to the meagre gruel that was Kirby Star Allies. They seem to have a spring in their step again after E3, the mild sales of Labo and a few middling Nindies presentations.

I will definitely be buying FF7 and it's probably time to finally try the other FFs my bro has been suggesting for a good few years. I reckon I can definitely do JRPGs on the Switch, there just haven't been any very good ones yet. The slightly antiquated PS1 & PS2 graphics will probably look better on the handheld screen, too.

Daemon X Machina will probably be my first mech game, so I can see what all the fuss is about. A kind of mecha Monster Hunter would be bloody amazing, salvaging scrap from giant robots to get tooled up and take down bigger and badder robots. I've no idea if this is how the game is but if not, someone else can just do that.

Splatoon and Tennis Aces updates look promising. The latter has a kernel of genius in its DNA, but it's been gene spliced with a dog shit. I really hope they can extract its essential oils and refashion it into a bright and fragrant candle. Shame that ARMS is clearly well and truly finished, but I expected as much.

I don't know anything about Diablo 3 or Civ VI but people seem excited about them. I've never really been a PC gamer so I have no context. I'll keep an eye out for reviews, definitely. Katamari I'll be picking up. Never played any before so I reckon that'll be a good entry to the series (and hopefully a future C&R episode).

Not sure how I feel about NSMBUD. I didn't get past the first world on the Wii U because it seemed dull and uninspired, but then I heard so many people I respect saying it's absolutely brilliant once it gets going and that the homogenised by-numbers visuals belie a superb game beneath the surface.

I'm really just praying that M2 are able to get past their current technical difficulties in porting the likes of Ketsui over to the Switch. Apparently, they've identified a few technical obstacles which are proving to be a problem and they won't port anything if they can't do a perfect job. I do respect that.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 15th, 2018, 12:04 am I would have bought those NES Joy-con's in a second (even with reduced functionality)... if only I didn't have to subscribe. And I don't see much to like about this subscription service - it feels like Nintendo thinks it's client base is incredibly untrustworthy, and they need to police and control how they experience they're products.

But if you bought them and didn’t have any of the NES games, what would you use them for ??

I’m not sure that they have any sort of functionality at all outside of the NES library.

Besides, if you want them that bad just subscribe for a month £3.49.

I wonder if the pre-requisite of being a member is so that members actually have the chance of getting a set upon release.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: September 15th, 2018, 7:59 am Daemon X Machina will probably be my first mech game, so I can see what all the fuss is about. A kind of mecha Monster Hunter would be bloody amazing, salvaging scrap from giant robots to get tooled up and take down bigger and badder robots. I've no idea if this is how the game is but if not, someone else can just do that.
Yeah, I must say, I’m looking forward to this too.

The whole Moon dying and Earth turning to mush sounds cool and the on the field upgrades and garage capacity to tweak your mech looks fun.

I’ll well up for this.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

+1 to New Super Mario Bros U being excellent
Joshihatsumitsu

Suits wrote: September 15th, 2018, 8:32 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 15th, 2018, 12:04 am I would have bought those NES Joy-con's in a second (even with reduced functionality)... if only I didn't have to subscribe. And I don't see much to like about this subscription service - it feels like Nintendo thinks it's client base is incredibly untrustworthy, and they need to police and control how they experience they're products.

But if you bought them and didn’t have any of the NES games, what would you use them for ??

I’m not sure that they have any sort of functionality at all outside of the NES library.

Besides, if you want them that bad just subscribe for a month £3.49.

I wonder if the pre-requisite of being a member is so that members actually have the chance of getting a set upon release.
You have a point. But I do already have a NES mini, so there’s not really much benefit to the service at all.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 15th, 2018, 11:04 pm You have a point. But I do already have a NES mini, so there’s not really much benefit to the service at all.
No, that’s right. If you have a NES mini, the original carts still or these games already downloaded elsewhere then I understand it may not be for you.

The only added benefit would be that they are now handheld, have multiplayer functionality and leaderboards.

Where for some, that’s easily enough to warrant the £18 a year.
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: September 14th, 2018, 6:28 am I’m probably reading too much into it but the short trailer for LM3 shows a really tall mansion behind the logo indicating that it’s going to be one massive mansion rather than progressing back and forth. Either way I’m very excited!
Another thing I’ve noticed is that the new Poltergust gives out a gust of air that seems to throw Luigi into the air.

Perhaps they’ve added the ability to jump...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Turns out that the Australian Nintendo store specifically states that those NES controllers are for use only with the NES games Library available to Nintendo Online subscribers.

I can only really image playing those games in handheld mode personally, which makes those pads pretty useless.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've found the first ever good piece of news about Switch Online! You can use your eShop gold points to pay for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... ch_online/
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Suits wrote: September 16th, 2018, 8:34 am
dezm0nd wrote: September 14th, 2018, 6:28 am I’m probably reading too much into it but the short trailer for LM3 shows a really tall mansion behind the logo indicating that it’s going to be one massive mansion rather than progressing back and forth. Either way I’m very excited!
Another thing I’ve noticed is that the new Poltergust gives out a gust of air that seems to throw Luigi into the air.

Perhaps they’ve added the ability to jump...

That trailer, among other things, has gotten me to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I've been playing it a bunch and it's been fantastic so far. I'm optimistic for Nintendo's 2019 outlook even if the rest of 2018 is a bit thin. I have too much to play as it is so I can wait a little while longer for these big releases.
Suits

Post by Suits »

BrianEdwards wrote: September 17th, 2018, 11:12 am That trailer, among other things, has gotten me to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I've been playing it a bunch and it's been fantastic so far. I'm optimistic for Nintendo's 2019 outlook even if the rest of 2018 is a bit thin. I have too much to play as it is so I can wait a little while longer for these big releases.
Ah, cool. I very recently played through it and enjoyed it also.

Yes, Nintendo fans seem to be rather buoyant about 2019 - I for one, am one of those.
Joshihatsumitsu

I'm going to take a different tact of, instead of complaining about the underwhelming Switch Online features, I'm going to try and be constructive.

Here is a wish list of games that would sweeten the deal (and boy, these are wishes, for there are hurdles):

Famicom/NES games: Summer '92 Carnival Recca (which did get a 3DS release), Gun Nac (okay... there may be a bit of a shmup theme unfolding here...), Sweet Home...

Super Famicom/SNES: Rendering Ranger R2, Magical Pop'n, Umihara Kawase, Sonic Blastman 2, Sutte Hakkun...

Not the most extensive list (and not all of them necessarily being great games either), and there's more I'd add to that, but I guess the point I wanted to make is: all those games that I mentioned are crazy expensive were you to purchase them legally. Rom's, as illegal as they are, are probably the only opportunity most people will have to access and play games like those.

Having an online digital service is an opportunity to provide legal access, and to protect intellectual property, and really, to make a ton of money. Again, there are hurdles to bringing certain titles to a service, however not providing alternatives to illegal roms only makes people seek out illegal roms.

Again, trying to be constructive in criticism.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Well, it's up and it works just fine. Little affection for the NES era though at my end and I don't think even the classics have held up particularly well. All working flawlessly though, so I'll be interested in how they develop this service further at some point.