The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by stvnorman »

KissMammal wrote: September 28th, 2018, 8:41 pm I say that as someone who normally can't stand stealth games.
I didn’t know this game until the other day, loved how it looked, then saw stealth.... I might not discount it so quickly now though.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

stvnorman wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:44 pm
KissMammal wrote: September 28th, 2018, 8:41 pm I say that as someone who normally can't stand stealth games.
I didn’t know this game until the other day, loved how it looked, then saw stealth.... I might not discount it so quickly now though.
Barring an unlikely instance that it turns out to be a horribly bodged port, definitely check it out. I generally don't get on with stealth games as I find the mechanics of them tend to be a bit wooly and frustrating. Mark of the Ninja just gets it right - it feels so precise with the clever use of visual and audio feedback so that when you fail and get spotted, it feels like it was your fault, not because of dodgy mechanics. It makes stealth gameplay feel empowering, not like some anxiety-inducing round of cat and mouse. It also allows an open approach to how you play and doles out upgrades for how you're playing, whether slow and sneaky or 'murderous psychopath'.

I'd say also that along with the wonderful presentation, it has a pretty decent story too - and I say that as someone who almost never cares about narrative in games.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Mark of the Ninja is very good. I don't normally enjoy stealth games either but the sheer amount of audio and visual clues in-game really help bring the player closer to being immersed in the world.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Dammit, I thought I’d pre-ordered Super Mario Party from Nintendo, with the Boo lamp - turns out I didn’t.

Screwing.

Probably pick it up elsewhere now, without the lamp, as it’s sold out.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Not sure whether to put this in the Microsoft or Nintendo thread...

Totaku are doing Conker and Banjo figures!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... taku-range
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Other peoples mileage may vary with this but the controls for The World Ends With You on Switch are just terrible, incredibly annoying.
Flabyo

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion threadm

Post by Flabyo »

It’d have to go some way to be more fiddly than the original DS version.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The entire game in handheld mode is touch screen controlled, which worked a lot better on the DS than on the switch, its a right pain in the bum.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

chase210 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 10:38 pm The entire game in handheld mode is touch screen controlled, which worked a lot better on the DS than on the switch, its a right pain in the bum.
That’s put me right off it. I just don’t like touch on handheld mode, and I’d have wanted to play this handheld.

Seems like Mark of the Ninja is reviewing very well, as is Starlink. Wonder if the price will drop on that if I hang on though, it being toys-to-life and mostly multi platform rather than Switch exclusive. Or is Star Fox enough of a draw to most (if not me) to keep the Switch price high?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

So I bought dark souls remastered on the switch (ridiculous to think it’s the first game I’ve bought for my 3 month old console but I’ve been busy with my backlog!) and signed up for one year of Nintendo’s online service.

I noticed they’ve just added new NES games to the NES app but one of them is a bizarre version of legend of Zelda where you can take a ridiculous amount of damage and are ludicrously overpowered from the outset. At first I thought I was invulnerable! It kind of misses the point although I’ve got my fingers crossed for a Zelda 2 version like that.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes the ‘new’ NES Zelda is a save-state-cum-ROM-hack that was released with no build up. A fun idea that hopefully they’ll pursue.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Dark Souls remastered on switch (as opposed to the PS4 one) feels really off, and I don't know why.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It feels just like the PS3 version to me. Extremely familiar and cozy.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I haven’t read any reviews suggesting that the game feels different (other than an imroved frame rate in places compared to 360/PS3). What control setups are you folk using?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Pretty standard I think? I always play undocked. Not being able to re-map A and B for menu commands is very annoying though.

On the glass is half full side of gaming, I did in fact get use to the touch screen controls in TWEWY switch! Helps its a really gorgeous port as well. Lot of fun.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 20th, 2018, 10:04 pm I haven’t read any reviews suggesting that the game feels different (other than an imroved frame rate in places compared to 360/PS3). What control setups are you folk using?
Pro Controller is best and it looks perfectly authentic on the telly but handheld looks excellent, too. The trickiest thing with handheld is using the claw to hold run while still moving the right stick. That's easy on the Dualshock because the buttons are so flat, easy enough on the Pro because it's so comfortable and large buttons are not too elevated. Bit fiddly in handheld because the Joycon buttons are a bit stiff and raised and small and clicky. It's perfectly doable but still requires a bit of conscious action.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Digital Foundry put out a video going over the Switch version and its differences to others, if you're interested in the nitty gritty of it. Seems like another mixed bag of pros and cons.

Suits

Post by Suits »

There were some issues with the sound from what I recall people saying.

Other than that, it’s supposed to run pretty well so I believe.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Dark Souls was never known for its technical prowess, though. From what I last heard (some) people weren't happy with the remaster because it felt too slick?

Can't please 'em all!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

PS4 remaster was good but because they changed the lighting system and textures and some visual effects, it didn't exactly feel like Dark Souls. It looked a bit ugly, at times. The Switch version looks perfect, pretty much, OG Dark Souls but more solid. One or two effects, mostly fire breathing, are slightly downgraded but it's almost faultless to my eye. Sound is somewhat borked but I quickly acclimated, without saying that it's therefore good enough. It's a strange thing to bugger up.

I reckon it's the best version I've played overall.