The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
dezm0nd

Re: Hi Everyone and Introductions

Post by dezm0nd »

What a delightful post. Hello!
Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru »

Thanks guys, looking forward to it! I have no idea why I didn't see the large "Introduce yourself" thread, silly me!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Hevi_Metaru wrote: October 27th, 2018, 3:48 pm Thanks guys, looking forward to it! I have no idea why I didn't see the large "Introduce yourself" thread, silly me!
Haha! You made a big entrance instead! Hello :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

dezm0nd wrote: October 27th, 2018, 2:25 pm What a delightful post. Hello!
He is a delightful person. :P

Good to see you appear on the forum, my dude! It's a great place to interact and I look forward to see more of you on here!
Stoootube

Re: The "Introduce yourself" thread

Post by Stoootube »

Hi folks, I’m Stu from sunny Scotland. I’ve been listening to the C&R and Sound of Play podcasts for a couple of months now, and recently signed up to Patreon.

I’ve been gaming since I was a wee lad with an Atari 800xl and I’ve currently got a man cave full of “old junk”. I’m mainly a Sega fanboy, but I like most formats old and new.

Looking forward to joining in playing along with some of the shows... particularly Ghouls n Ghosts which is my favourite game on the Megadrive!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hello Atari 800XL brother!
Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru »

Simonsloth wrote: October 27th, 2018, 8:53 pm
Hevi_Metaru wrote: October 27th, 2018, 3:48 pm Thanks guys, looking forward to it! I have no idea why I didn't see the large "Introduce yourself" thread, silly me!
Haha! You made a big entrance instead! Hello :)
Hello indeed, Mr. Sloth, I've heard your great contributions many times on the podcast!
Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru »

Michiel K wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:51 pm
dezm0nd wrote: October 27th, 2018, 2:25 pm What a delightful post. Hello!
He is a delightful person. :P

Good to see you appear on the forum, my dude! It's a great place to interact and I look forward to see more of you on here!
Oooo, stop it you! <3 <3 <3
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nowhere else to put this, but has anyone heard off Todinho lately? I was just looking at an old thread and saw his name, and thought I'd not seen him post for a while. He was posting every day until suddenly stopping in early July. Hope he's OK.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: November 24th, 2018, 10:38 pm Nowhere else to put this, but has anyone heard off Todinho lately?
I was honestly just thinking this the other day :!: .
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Me too. I was listening to an old show and his correspondence was read out and I thought hmm, I hope he's OK too. Brilliant contributor here.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't think his departure was completely random. The last day he ever logged in is also the day that the video he posted on the ArenaNet situation got deleted. Make of that what you will.

Great contributor and I miss him too. Not least of all because his country appears to have been overrun by the kind of garbage far-right demagoguery he was so rightfully concerned about. It's at times like these that small tight-knit international communities such as ours can provide mental support and make a difference, I think.

Todinho, if you're reading this: I sincerely hope you're all right and that you will come back one day. Hang in there.
Kankabum

Post by Kankabum »

Stanall wrote: June 1st, 1970, 4:15 pm Me too. I was listening to an old show by Swiss Sana and his correspondence was read out and I thought hmm, I hope he's OK too. Brilliant contributor here. He shares his review candidly here
I'm so glad to be part of you here... I hope for a wonderful experience.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 25th, 2018, 1:25 am I don't think his departure was completely random. The last day he ever logged in is also the day that the video he posted on the ArenaNet situation got deleted. Make of that what you will.
It wasn't completely random, you're spot on with that connection.

I saw this while I was away but didn't have the time to respond until now. To clarify, Todinho won't ever be back on this forum as he was banned after he wrote that Jessica Price, the former writer at ArenaNet, was "getting what she deserved". As we'd previously had occasion to warn him about things he'd posted this was where we felt he crossed the line in regards to him having a place to post here.

We'd like to consider this forum a safe space for people to debate and discuss but the second anyone comes onto here and proclaims that it's fine to harass/dox/threaten people online because you misguidedly believe they deserve it through either ignorance, stupidity or being a right-wing douche - you're gone and there won't be any discussion.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I never read that thread (from what I remember) but the clarification is helpful. I don't know whether it was this month's Patreon show or the last but you made a similar statement which now has a bit more context.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The BanHammer - thus swiftly and firmly it swings.

I'm sure everyone has controversial opinions and stances, however, not all opinions are, and should they not be, be posted on public boards.

The way it was dealt with, without any fanfare or focus is class.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well that was an unexpected twist. Shame really because he seemed alright, but there's no defending that comment/opinion.

EDIT: I mean it's a shame he had that view of things rather than its a shame he was banned, which seems rightfully justified given the circumstances.
False Eight

Post by False Eight »

Hello there! I'm Aleksi from Finland, and I've been listening to the show for a year or so. I'm 30, I have a townhouse in a commuter town, a station wagon, a wife, a six-month-old daughter, a season ticket for football, a shelf full of books I never read, another shelf full of britpop, punk and ska records that I never listen, an old Alfa Romeo I plan to restore (I know I never will), a pair of running shoes, a road bike and a job where my task unfortunately is to make sure that the world gets more polluted and closer to annihilation. I also own a PS4 and a NES.

My earliest memory about gaming is from the early nineties, when a family friend showed me how to play a Donkey Kong ripoff called Aldo's Adventures on his PC. I was maybe four or five years old back then, and the game was the most amazing thing I had ever experienced. I was immediately hooked. We stayed overnight with my mum and dad, and the next morning I woke up before anyone else, turned on the computer and started playing. I was way too young to know how to read or write, but had nevertheless managed to memorize which buttons I was required to press in the black MS DOS command screen for the game to start. I believe that's still my greatest achievement when it comes computers, as even a task as simple as writing an introductory message to an online gaming forum seems to demand a full days work.

At the moment I mainly play casual games like FIFA, The Pinball Arcade and various mobile games, mainly because they are easy to pick up and pause between nappy changes and bottle feeding sessions. If I had the time, I'd enjoy playing old point and click adventure games, Civilization 4 or even newer action/adventure games like the Uncharted series or RR2. DiRT Rally is also among my all time favourites.

But anyway, that's enough about me. Thank you for an intelligent and entertaining podcast!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Welcome, Aleksi! I can totally relate to the bookshelf part. :P
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome Aleksi!