Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Retro gaming

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m pretty sure we covered Tetris 2 (in brief) on our Tetris podcast.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

They added a bit of Dr Mario to Tetris. If they’d made it Dr Mario Tetris it might be a bit more well known. I always thought it had a bit too much going on, which in part might have been down to the lack of colour.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I find the shapes, sparkles and shades, on top of the fact it’s Dr Mario esc in its stacking - all too much for my little mind.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

That Belmont's Revenge is a real catch!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: November 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm That Belmont's Revenge is a real catch!
Mate, I was so excited when I saw it flicking through the loose carts !!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I went to my first Retro Game Con last Saturday in Syracuse, NY! I met the voice of Mario (got some pictures and fun video with him!), bought myself a custom plush Moogle, but I failed at going full retro with my game purchases!

I got X-Men: Legends and Burnout 3: Takedown for the PS2, since I have no idea what I did with my original copies. I don't know if it was a good find or not, but I found a copy of the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess for $30. Everyone else in the place was charging $60 for it, so I don't know! Either way,I can finally play it (once I finally play Wind Waker)!

The con was fun, though. Would love to go to more, though the retro game market seems a bit nuts? Every one was pricing Mario Sunshine for $60 but no one was selling any copies! I kept thinking any amount of competitive pricing would have been nice to see. Then, they'd have money and I'd have a copy of nobody's favorite Mario game! Seems like a better deal than leaving with all the merchandise they came in with?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: November 8th, 2018, 8:32 pm I found a copy of the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess for $30.
Not a bad deal, man! Have fun. :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Retro markets I’ve been to here in the UK are like that as well, they’re not good places to pick up rarities unless you’re willing to pay top dollar cause the sellers know the value of their stock. (Ask Suits about his quest to try and get someone to haggle with him on a copy of Fire Emblem for the Cube)

They’re generally good places to pick up more common fodder on the cheap though, especially hardware.

It isn’t like 10 years ago when most people selling off old stuff didn’t know the value of it, the internet now makes it really easy to know that, for example, you shouldn’t be letting Mega Turrican on the megadrive go for less than £100.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: November 9th, 2018, 7:48 am (Ask Suits about his quest to try and get someone to haggle with him on a copy of Fire Emblem for the Cube)
Hm... Well, that does sound vaguely familiar. :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, the value in retro stuff now is extremely rare - I think.

For a hobby where discussion and a lot of it’s content is nestled nice in the internet (as per Flybo), it’s extremly easy to find what something is worth, add a fiver to it and think your in the right area.

I still enjoy conventions and generally use them now for mid/high value items, or very good condition games you love - where you can check the quality in your hand. Or for N64DD games.

Not that it’s all about value but if that’s a priority, bundles are where it’s at, I’ve been lucky a few times buying blind bundles - which has replaced the old Boot Sale buzz finds of years ago.

Another excellent place for value is FaceBook Marketplace (not sure what your equivalent is) where people just don’t seem to GAF, take pics and slap it up on there - you’ve just got to be quick.

Research is king and settle on a price in your mind about how much you want to pay for something, then stick to it.

I love it. Love it all.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 9th, 2018, 8:02 am Hm... Well, that does sound vaguely familiar. :P
You’re still a legend for doing that.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 9th, 2018, 9:14 am You’re still a legend for doing that.
Aw, you're too kind. Curious to see what kind of surprises we're gonna see this year, in any case!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Had a great night out in Leeds Friday night at a Retro gaming event at the Belgravia Music Hall:

https://www.facebook.com/events/257505998280335/

They do it every 2 to 3 months and I played the following:

Virtua Cop 2 on Saturn with Gun which was brilliant

There was also a chipped Snes mini so played:

Sunset Riders
Turtles in time

They had a retro machine set up like an arcade machine but full of games from all 16 bit and 32 bit era plus some N64 and PS1 games. Thoroughly illegal no doubt but a great bit of kit. I played some Mario Kart 64 on it (Wario Stadium).

They also had a N64 set up with Goldeneye so me and my 2 friends played that as we used to do for far too long back in the day.

Highlight as always was the 32 man Street Fighter 2 Tournament. I lost in the final last time I went :( however I was determined to go one better this time.

This time we were playing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on a Mini PS2 which wasn't ideal but was a level playing field. Doing Shoryukens on a dualshock 2 is near impossible so my Ryu had to adapt.

I made it to the final again where I LOST AGAIN!. For the second tournament in a row I was taken down by the actual person running it who was not drinking and I got a lovely Super Mario key ring as a runner up prize. He was playing as DeeJay.

Great night out and would recommend.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ha, I took part in a Super Street Fighter 2 mini tournament years back when I attended a memorabilia show in Birmingham. I breezed the first round where I was coincidentally drawn against the friend I'd gone along with, but got nailed hard in the quarter final!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Mint is a term that is used far too often to describe anythings condition secondhand, especially games.

Even new games nowadays aren't mint when you first receive them.

That said, occasionally you do get very good condition second hand games.

Today was one of those days.

One of the best early childhood games I can remember playing was Super RC Pro AM on the GameBoy, of which I first got my hands on at a toy day in primary school.

I was wowed by its controls and the fact that you could upgrade your RC car by collecting parts on the track.

At the time I was heavily into cars as a child, especially the dream of one day having my own radio control car, so this landed on many different levels with me.

I never actually own the cart myself, as other more modern games had come along and it soon passed me by completely.

For a while now I've had my eye out for a nice version, or even just a cart so I could play it again - but alas, nothing presented itself at either trade shows or my local game shop.

I've been hovering over a few tatty little copies on eBay but they were asking £25+ and I though I'd rather hang on a bit.

Then this came up, - £10.

Mine.

It's in very good condition, very good.

Has all the leaflets, poster and even the plastic bag that the cart and case come in. Check out the John Menzies price tag too - incredible.

The box is firm and the corners sharp.

It really is in good condition for a game printed in 1991.

The only issue is that the label on the cart is a little dog eared where the adhesive has perished I think but I can live with that.

Nostalgic game, that still plays very well indeed and I'm looking forward to spending some time with it on my GBA and GameCube.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Great story :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I love it when old price labels are on game boxes. It probably detracts from value sometimes but to me seeing woolworths etc on the box gives me goosebumps.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Went down and saw my pal today that runs The Retro Hunter in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex.

Bit of a flying visit as we had things to do but was cool to catch up and collect the GameCube games he put aside for me after picking up a large stock intake a few weeks back.

So here they are, in all their glory and splendour, Mary-Kate and Ashley Sweet 16 included.

Fully complete and ready to be sorted into their correct position on the shelves with a beer later.

Incidentally, these take me to precisely 333 PAL GameCube games.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Wow, that is a wince-inducing pile of games right there!
😆
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 9th, 2018, 3:26 pm Wow, that is a wince-inducing pile of games right there!
😆
I know, demoralising isn’t it :lol: .

Occasionally I go back and forth with whether or not to continue (collecting the whole set) but I’m so far in now with most of the big dogs found and ordered, I can just periodically pick up the strays as they present themselves.

That’s what I tell myself anyway.

But really, deep down.... I love them all massively and take great pride sometimes just standing back and looking at them. Daft but I suppose the the very values of watching the numbers go up and 100%’ing things, that keeps it feeling rewarding.

Now let me get back to Mary-Kate.....