Didn't take them long...

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
DomsBeard

Didn't take them long...

Post by DomsBeard »

Lazy journalism time, surprised it took them this long. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... lanza.html
DomsBeard

Re: Didn't take them long...

Post by DomsBeard »

I can't remember who said it but ''if videogames effect behaviour so much wouldn't everyone be out farming now?'' Is one of my favourite quotes when this rubbish pops up.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Apparently the Daily Express has cited Dynasty Warriors as the culprit. DYNASTY WARRIORS!
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

I'm more offended by Polygon's crappy lifestyle journalism they keep publishing.... ;)
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

The terrorists that were behind the 9/11 terror attacks supposedly practiced flying on Microsoft flight simulator, we'd best get that shit banned too!

The problem is america's outdated bill of rights, everyone knows that and until they have tighter gun control things like this will keep happening, I'm glad they finally have a president who is prepared to fight to get it changed but I fear it's a battle he can't win and will probably make his chances of being re-elected slim at best and they'll end up with a George Bush clone that loves to blow shit up.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Guy_JD wrote:...but I fear it's a battle he can't win and will probably make his chances of being re-elected slim at best and they'll end up with a George Bush clone that loves to blow shit up.
Obama himself can't stand for re-election - a US President can only be President for two terms. Although it would no doubt affect whichever Democrat is standing.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

I thought it was 3?

Edit:- just checked and you're right, but yep I agree his actions will have a big effect on future Democratic candidate chances :(
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I really can't get myself worked up about stuff like this any more. It's inevitable every single time something like this happens. Video games are the scapegoat of the media. Or at least, conservative and sensationalism media, because they'd much rather feign "moral outrage" at something than actually take the time to understand something. They want to focus their knee-jerk finger-blaming reactions towards something they don't like as justification for why they don't like it. They don't care about truth. They care about sales.

All the arguments plainly pointing out how and why this is all BS have been said over and over. Anyone with sense can see what a load of crap it all is, but we keep getting stuff like this. I think the tide is slowly turning, but I'm just tired of it.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I just wish we could all get back to those millennia of blissful peace that everyone enjoyed before that idiot invented Pong.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Maybe hitler played hopscotch as a child?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I loved the Monkey Island games as a youngster, and I do have a rubber dinghy and a penchant for piracy as a grown up, so there's no denying there's a link...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Pokemon and Zelda got me in to video games. Now I spend my time breaking in to people's houses and vandalising their crockery in search of their valuables to fund my underground cock fighting ring.
nickoneill1888

Post by nickoneill1888 »

The press should probably be taking the advice of this brilliant TV piece Charlie Brooker did for Newswipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

TotalBiscuit also did a really good video on the subject: