Mobile phone gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: iOS and Android gaming

Post by Chopper »

Recent iOS updates have made Drop7 unplayable on those devices unfortunately; I have been semi-addicted since ThirdMan mentioned it here a year or two ago. It really was the business, I hope it still works on Android. :(
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Thanks for the list.

Sorcery is another on my already completed list, and Threes/2048 I just can't get into for some reason but the others look indeed like a good fit.
Gorogoa and 80 Days have been something I keep looking at for a while - I just remain worried that their controls won't work as well on a phone (where my finger/hand is going to block a noticeable chunk of screen as compared to a tablet)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've played Gorogoa and 80 Days on phone and there is nothing to worry about in that regard at all.

I've recently played about half of Professor Layton And The Curious Village on Android which is still fun (although a little pricy).

Horizon Chase is an excellent arcade racer, real throwback to Outrun and Pole Position.

Bendy Run is a fun free to play auto runner type game with a lovely aesthetic, think black and white Cuphead. Definitely worth a look.

There are so many brilliant games on mobile, you just have to know what you're looking for to wade through the endless card battlers and lifestyle sims.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

As I have most of the Professor Layton games on my DSi, I doubt I'll be looking at them, though i may try out the mystery rooms/journey to see how it fairs on Android.

It's very true what you say on mobile games, especially as they can work on tablet as well - this is partly why I listed several so that anyone who is in a similar position can have a number of games to look at. But flicking through Google Play will only tell you so much and free versions can be restrictive or full of ads so it can be tricky to properly gauge a game

Thanks for the suggestions - keep them coming!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Remember everyone going mad for New Star Soccer a few years back (and rightly so, it was great), but the guy also made New Star Cricket which was also fantastic fun. Although depending on how you feel about cricket, your mileage may vary!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: January 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm Remember everyone going mad for New Star Soccer a few years back (and rightly so, it was great), but the guy also made New Star Cricket which was also fantastic fun. Although depending on how you feel about cricket, your mileage may vary!
Ah man, :lol: , I was into this !!!

I generally don't play mobile games at all - but I remember this. Very good.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

A lot of the stuff I play on mobile probably won’t appeal, I actually kinda like the f2p gindfests like Fire Emblem Heroes and Assassin’s Creed Rebellion.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Actually AC rebellion works very well on mobile. It's possible as well to play it without being online - though that's better with regard daily missions for resources - it is currently on my phone

A couple of years ago, I got into Crusader Quest which was another f2p rpg themed game but where the adverts were discrete. It is resolutely an online only game (even in single player) but was constructed well with a lovely pixel art style.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I can't believe you guys are starting to sell me on the one AC product I'd managed to resist!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It genuinely is an enjoyable game. I stopped playing it just because I'm really bad at sticking with mobile games, but the couple of weeks I spent with it, it was really well made and pretty fun. I think it's more a strategy game than anything else, really.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Ultimately I don't have the space on my phone for it unless I give up the PoGo or get an upgrade. This is the number 1 reason I don't get around to playing mobile games, I keep having to delete ones I've been sitting on to make room for the actual useful parts of the phone.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

kintaris wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:07 pm Ultimately I don't have the space on my phone for it unless I give up the PoGo or get an upgrade. This is the number 1 reason I don't get around to playing mobile games, I keep having to delete ones I've been sitting on to make room for the actual useful parts of the phone.
Ha - this was me for the first half of the decade. Between the bloatware and the apps I actually need on the phone for work, my last phone reached a point where it couldn't update any apps as there wasn't enough memory clear - far too many things on Android don't seem to like to run from SD cards. It was nice to finally get a phone with a decent internal memory last year ...
James

Post by James »

Another recommendation for Holedown. It's kinda weird that progression peters out once you reach the infinite level, and you start earning crystals but have nothing to spend them on.

Other than that, I love it as a passive joy. Threes! and 1010! both have permanent homes on my phone for similar reasons.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Chopper wrote: January 6th, 2019, 10:40 am Recent iOS updates have made Drop7 unplayable on those devices unfortunately; I have been semi-addicted since ThirdMan mentioned it here a year or two ago. It really was the business, I hope it still works on Android. :(
Drop7 is now back (and free) on the App Store, rejoice!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Been playing a fantastic little game called Archero on my mobile telephone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... by.archero

It's everything I love in a mobile game. Simple idea, simple controls, short game sessions. Basically it's a roguelike where you play an archer progressing through the dungeon one screen at a time. You can move with the control stick, and when you stand still you auto fire at the enemies. You can't fire whilst moving. Powerups and permanent upgraded galore, this really is hugely enjoyable. I'd urge anyone to give it ten minutes. It's free, you have nothing to lose!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: June 9th, 2019, 6:42 pm Been playing a fantastic little game called Archero on my mobile telephone:

It's everything I love in a mobile game. Simple idea, simple controls, short game sessions. Basically it's a roguelike where you play an archer progressing through the dungeon one screen at a time. You can move with the control stick, and when you stand still you auto fire at the enemies. You can't fire whilst moving. Powerups and permanent upgraded galore, this really is hugely enjoyable. I'd urge anyone to give it ten minutes. It's free, you have nothing to lose!
Right. I'm not having this. Someone go and play this game right now. It's brilliant.

If I told you it was almost shmupy, would that sell it? Maybe even if I told you it got a little bullet hell the further you progress?

Hmm? Hmm?

Go. And. Play. This. Game!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ok I’ll take a look.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol:
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Alex79uk wrote: June 14th, 2019, 5:56 pm
Alex79uk wrote: June 9th, 2019, 6:42 pm Been playing a fantastic little game called Archero on my mobile telephone:

Right. I'm not having this. Someone go and play this game right now. It's brilliant.

If I told you it was almost shmupy, would that sell it? Maybe even if I told you it got a little bullet hell the further you progress?

Hmm? Hmm?

Go. And. Play. This. Game!
Okays - I did go and download this after the first mention. If you had mentioned the shmup part of it, I probably would have not bothered. And it is a genuinely good game.

There are a couple of things I have issues with (the venus flytrap on legs with the homing bullets who can shoot you through obstacles where as you need to find an angle to get shots off; and the lvl 49 boss who shoots in many directions and also spawns enemies who also shoot in many directions and who your character seems to target for preference) but the crossover between shmup and rogue lite actually works well.

Whilst it has an online link, it's perfectly playable offline (you just lose a few extra tokens and the option to respawn) and there are a selection of weapons and perks to unlock (the glaive has been a quick favourite). The per game skills have hidden synergies - I discovered that combining the rear shot with wall bounce actually gives you an additional forward action if there is a wall behind you.

I'm not steady enough to properly get into bullet hell games - my brain always gets in the way but I'm having fun with this one
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well you've got much further than me! I think my record is level 41 or something! Seems like there might be more after level 50, like a new chapter but not sure yet. Yeah that flytrap enemy is a little cheap. It's pretty fun though, glad you enjoyed it!