Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Of course, gotcha. Silly me. It all makes sense now! :o
Suits

Post by Suits »

I enjoyed Super Hot, played it for a few nights years ago on the Xbox.

Once I’d beaten it, I never went back to it mind.

Clever game, that controlled great but apart from that I found it pretty un-remarkable.

I’d recommend it though.

If that makes sense.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

After playing super hot VR I can’t go back to normal superhot without feeling something is missing. Dodging bullets with your body is the stuff of my teenage dreams.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, see I’ve not tried it in VR yet......
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

It's a different game in VR, as in the levels are all different, so don't feel that you'll be buying it twice.

Really top-notch, Superhot VR.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: January 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm Ah, see I’ve not tried it in VR yet......
Don’t get me wrong it’s probably the most temperamental of all the games I’ve played on PSVR as it’s so dependent upon having a completely empty play space and good lighting. I suspect it’s better on Vive/oculus although when it works it’s absolutely incredible.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cool, I’ll pick this up next time I see it on my travels.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

DomsBeard wrote: January 10th, 2019, 1:57 pm Celeste

Games like this are not usually my thing (as I am terrible at them) but I am still loving this game and playing it daily. Up to Chapter 3 and at 300 deaths now think I am near the end of it. The soundtrack and the fact that each one of those 300 deaths has felt 100% my fault has kept me going.
this is definitely on my 'to-buy' list. I suppose I haven't got it yet cuz I know I'll get around to getting a Switch one of these days. seems like a good game to have an on-the-go option for.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Friendly reminder that everyone should play Iconoclasts, which was robbed of the "indie darling" status it rightfully deserves by other games that are not my GOTY 2018 like Iconoclasts is.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Suffering a similar fate to many games last year. Too many games and everyones playing fortnite!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: January 10th, 2019, 1:57 pm The Gardens Between

Not overly enjoying it. I like the puzzle mechanic but I have a feeling there will be a twist or a surprise ending to make me enjoy the game more?. Not sure on all the hype it has received elsewhere
So glad someone else feels like this! I bought it in the sale solely off the back of the TCGS podcast, and found it to be... OK. Nothing compelling me to go back to it, never felt particularly smart for working anything else, and never really been challenged so far. It's just a bit dull. I'll stick with it when I can be bothered to finish it as its not too long, hoping something happens!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

(I didnt dislike TGB but it didnt pull me back in)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Having finished Pikmin 3 and Kirby: Planet Robobot, I am now in a good place to pick my next adventure.

NSMBU is here but I’m not overly busting to get into this again, as good as it was, I’ve played it before not too many years ago, so that can wait - besides it was delivered to the office today and I was on site so missed it 😐.

Sticking to the tried and tested three at a time rule, I currently have on the go;

Metroid Prime, GameCube - Nice.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, DS - This is something I originally played years and years ago and again, never fisnhsed it. I’ve started again and I’m trying to get to where I was before so I can begin to enjoy it’s splendour again. Although generally this is a damn fine game anyway.

Zelda:The Wind Waker, Wii U - One of my biggest gaming faux pas, no serious excuse, it just passed me by. I chose the Wii U as it has a few qualitity of life enhancements and looks crazy lush in HD compared to the GameCube. Also it’s just fun being on the Wii U again.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The gardens between only took my about 2 hours to get through, with all achievements.

Ending spoilers:
Spoiler: show
There isn’t a ‘twist’ as such, but the ending is kinda sad. There’s a few weak puzzles in the, but there’s one using a radio tuner that I loved.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

AC Odyssey Update... Again...

I think it's finally happened. I've gotten tired of this game. Like, I enjoy the moment-to-moment scurrying around idyllic Greek islands but...

Holy hekkinen. This game is TOO BIG. It's gonna have to join The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 0 as games I like, but just need to put on pause from sheer burnout.

Like, I appreciate the value for dollar prospect, but when I'm coming home from work with an hour or two to play, and I feel like I've barely chipped away at a boulder of a game? It's just depressing.

And it's really just a matter of too much.... STUFF. Just everything. Too many map markers, too many distractions, it just feels like an ADHD nightmare at times.

At very least, with a game THIS huge, you'd think maybe they could switch up the menu music or audio cues or something, but with the amount of time you're in the menu in this game, I'm just sick of hearing it.

Ugh.

RE2make can't come soon enough.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Mainly playing Evil Within 2. Thats helping the wait for remake 2 alot easier. Its a bit good.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 12th, 2019, 3:13 am AC Odyssey Update... Again...

I think it's finally happened. I've gotten tired of this game. Like, I enjoy the moment-to-moment scurrying around idyllic Greek islands but...

Holy hekkinen. This game is TOO BIG. It's gonna have to join The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 0 as games I like, but just need to put on pause from sheer burnout.

Like, I appreciate the value for dollar prospect, but when I'm coming home from work with an hour or two to play, and I feel like I've barely chipped away at a boulder of a game? It's just depressing.

And it's really just a matter of too much.... STUFF. Just everything. Too many map markers, too many distractions, it just feels like an ADHD nightmare at times.

At very least, with a game THIS huge, you'd think maybe they could switch up the menu music or audio cues or something, but with the amount of time you're in the menu in this game, I'm just sick of hearing it.

Ugh.

RE2make can't come soon enough.
Ha! Time is a valuable resource, and inevitably increasingly rare. Especially the older I get.

Love this post... all for ambitious games, but most are big for the sake of big. There’s something to be said for focus and restraint.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Full location mastery of Miami. Good note to end on.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

In light of new evidence I’ve decided to change my game of the year list from 2018. They were:

3. Banner Saga 3
2. Vampyr
1. Prey: Mooncrash

They are now:

3. Subnautica
2. Return of the Obra Dinn
1. Prey: Mooncrash

The reason being that while the Banner Saga 3 and Vampyr were excellent games, they were not exceptional. Obra Dinn on the other hand, is, and Subnautica comes close (if you’re into that type of game). I also just finished them this year.

I have been obsessively playing Slay the Spire, even though I am terrible at it. At the moment I am enjoying it immensely, but I can see a time coming soon when the time invested doesn’t correlate with the reward.

You progress through a dungeon, and every time you beat an enemy you are given three cards to choose from. The idea is to build a deck with some synergies, for example your intention might be to play several basic armour cards in a row, and then top that off with a special card that also converts your armour rating into damage dealt, so you are both attacking and defending in the turn. But these special cards drop randomly, so you can’t count on them, and therefore can’t really create the build you want to - one run you might get good cards, the next terrible cards, and the next, cards for a different play style entirely. Or, what usually happens, a mishmash of cards from different styles that you have to play on the fly. The you add in random permanent drops and enemies and it gets complicated pretty quickly. It’s a lot of fun to try and figure out what works, but the eventual issue will be the time invested vs lack of progress, as the entire thing resets when you die.

I still haven’t figured everything out, how cards work together, how certain status effects work etc, so there’s a bit to go. I suspect I am missing something big though, because I feel like I’m only getting better because of certain powerful cards dropping, ie luck. Looking for insights online is tough because they’re all written in deck-building lingo and assume a certain level of familiarity.

Fantastic and compulsive fun so far though.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Finished LittleBigPlanet 3. Turns out that the checkpointing system is ridiculous and ruins what was a perfectly enjoyable game when the challenge ramps up a bit in the last two levels. Glad to have another one gone from the PS4 pile though - Uncharted 2 next!

Also got properly stuck into F-Zero on the SNES Classic. I’ve been playing the WipEout Omega Collection on PS4 too recently, and I don’t think even that nails the feeling of being at one with your ship like F-Zero still does once the controls click. I played the first Game Boy Advance version to death but this one is something else on that controller!

And Sega Ages Out Run on the Switch is just the best game ever!!!