Your most anticipated games of 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: Most Anticipated 2019

Post by ThirdDrawing »

1) Shin Megami Tensei V - My current favourite series (That's still being made) and my fingers are crossed we're getting it this year.

2) Shenmue III - I'm probably the only one

3) RE2Make - I feel the same as everyone else.

4) Wasteland 3 - I'm really happy this series was able to come back, as I have a real soft spot for it.

5) Disaster Report 4 - There's no guarantee we're getting it, but I'm hoping we're going to get it this year. Fingers crossed.
Flabyo

Re: Games you're looking forward to this year.

Post by Flabyo »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 9th, 2019, 3:46 pm I. MISSED. ONE. FUCKING. BANANA.
I missed one orb in Crackdown.

And you know those things are basically impossible to find.
Senorb123

Re: Games you're looking forward to this year.

Post by Senorb123 »

I've preordered RE2 so I can't wait to get my hands on that also plan on getting into FFXV before the podcast. The Division 2 I also preordered, the first one sucked me in for a long time and I can't wait to see the next one
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I really have absolutely no awareness of the release dates of things past like... March? So there are probably more games later in the year I want, but have little awareness of. Anywhom.

- RE2make. I know next to nothing about this game, but I know I love the premise and setting of RE2, and I really have no issues with the GAMEPLAY of the newer Resident Evil games (6 notwithstanding), so I'm just gonna go in blind and see what happens.

- Kingdom Hearts 3. The KH series is an extremely erratic series for me, because I absolutely loved KH1 (and DDD HD, which I just finished for the first time a couple weeks ago), but really disliked KH2, BBS, and the litany of pointless spinoff games. DDD effectively filled in all the potholes created by the literary garbage fire spanning Chain of Memories through Birth By Sleep, so KH3 has the potential to be good. But I already know I'm going to have very little patience for it, if it starts getting into "what the kek is going on?" territory again,

- Metro Exodus. The first two Metro games are some of my all-time favourites, but they're also kind of two halves of the same game. This new one is a full-on sequel, so I'm really excited to see the series grow.

- Left Alive. This game is on no one's radar, and I have no idea why. It looks like a spiritual successor to Front Mission: Gun Hazard, insofar as you spend most of your time out of a mech in a series about mech warfare. You play as normal schmucks stuck on the ground during a massive war, and your goal is to survive. It's mostly a stealth game, but given that the series has been known for some top-notch military fiction, I have high hopes for this one.

(Pro Tip: Play Front Mission: Gun Hazard - Not only is it a great game, but you'll notice a lot of the soundtrack sounds damned similar to FF7's, because the two soundtracks were done at the same time -- I'm not entirely unconvinced Nobuo didn't just make a bunch of music and split the tracks somewhat randomly, because a lot of leit motif from each game shows up in the other).

Doom: Eternal - No word of a lie, when I was playing DOOM 2016, I had a dream where demons were having their faces punched in, to the tune of 1812 Overture. That should be indication of my feelings for this reboot series.

Mega Man Legends 3 - Capcom, just make this game please?

Code Vein - I love, love, love the art direction of this game, and the narrative looks like a lot of fun with its over-acted anime hyperbole. I am waiting on reviews though - it's supposed to be a Souls-like? But I also find the Souls games to be slow, boring and inaccessible. They're quite simply too hard for me - I lack the fine motor skill to "git gud", and they just feel too slow and grindy. The STRUCTURE of those games isn't bad, with dense atmosphere and a big world with great bosses crammed in. But it also took me 40 to get to Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne and I could never beat him. So. It's a "maybe" .

There may also be a new mainline Pokemon this year? That could be what sells me on the Switch, but the series needs to start trying new things. We got the nostalgia bait with Gen 6 and Gen 7, but it's time to return to Gen 5 and start making Pokemon games with some actual challenge and intriguing story.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I haven't paid much attention to what's coming out this year but someone mentioned Ori and the Will of the Wisps on the Patreon monthly cast and now I'm pretty excited.

I guess I'll notice others when they come out.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdMan wrote: January 9th, 2019, 10:50 pmThere seems to be a school of thought now that argues that From's games are actually easy. That's total rubbish.
I wouldn't say 'easy', but they're definitely not 'hard', I really believe that. They're a challenge, and there will always be sections which push you to your limit, but anyone could beat one once they get the measure of it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

duskvstweak wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:53 pm Whoops! While I am looking forward to Shadows Die Twice, the samurai game I meant to put was Ghost of Tsushima! That and Nioh 2...
And we also have the Onimusha port soon!
dezm0nd

Re: Your most anticipated games of 2019

Post by dezm0nd »

Sekiro
Crackdown 3
Resi REmake 2
Doom Eternal
Rage 2
Ori
Control
Yoshi Crafted
Toejam and earl 4
New Wolfenstein
Animal Crossing
Last of us 2
Gears 5
Luigis Mansion 3
Marvel UA 3
Psychonauts 2

From a non podcast point of view I'd like those please. Theres an awful lot!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ThirdMan wrote: January 9th, 2019, 10:50 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 9th, 2019, 10:08 pmThey're quite simply too hard for me - I lack the fine motor skill to "git gud", and they just feel too slow and grindy.
There's definitely an element of 'getting good' which, admittedly, I never fully managed as I only soloed a handful of bosses across both games. However you'll get a long way with just being patient, kiting enemies and basically just learning what's expected of you.
I appreciate your optimism, but I actually do have something of a slow muscle response time. I basically can't play games like DMC or Bayonetta or even fighting games (button mashing and a few basic moves aside :P). I wouldn't class it as a disability, just human diversity.
DavidBagguetta

Post by DavidBagguetta »

Are there other games than RE2make??
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: January 9th, 2019, 11:46 pm I wouldn't say 'easy', but they're definitely not 'hard', I really believe that. They're a challenge, and there will always be sections which push you to your limit, but anyone could beat one once they get the measure of it.
Ornstein and Smough would like a word ;)

In all seriousness, even now if you asked me to beat Smough & Ornstein in that order, I doubt I could do it in 20 tries.

Ornstein & Smough though, easy peasy ;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think for me at the moment there aren’t any.

Struggling to think of another time where the schedule was so full of things I don’t want to play...

I’ve still got plenty of last year’s big games to get to anyway.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Last year I don't think there was anything I was looking forward too, yet by the end I ended up buying a lot... and I get the feeling this year will probably be the same.

I do look forward to finishing my cabinet. There's a few Naomi game that are already available in current gen in some form or another, like Ikaruga and Senko no Rondo. But there's also games like Cosmic Smash and Lupin: The Typing that are not terribly popular or well known, so I look forward to exploring the fringes of the past.

Like 2018, I think 2019 will be exploring all I missed from the past, while building up the collection with contemporary titles that I'll play in few years time, therefore making them vintage. Future Vintage gaming.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I overspent massively last year, partly out of excitement for my new job, so I'm trying to limit myself this year.

Luckily the announced games for the first half of the year happen to be genres I'm not particularly keen on. Crackdown 3 is probably the only one I'd consider and I'll probably just sub to Game Pass for a month for that.

Among the unknowns for later 2019, I'd like to give Catherine another go via Full Body, and I'd definitely be interested in Ghost of Tsushima. I echo James' anticipation for Inkle's Heaven's Vault -- though I played it at EGX and my word it was rough going bugs-wise. Hope they keep it in the oven a bit longer.

For the podcast, I'd love to try and finally play BotW but at the moment the Switch is mainly my wife's Let's Go Pikachu machine. I don't begrudge this because I have so many other options! It'll also stop me buying Treasure Tracker until it gets a bit cheaper, much as I loved the demo.

Elsewhere I've always been intrigued to try The Evil Within & sequel as well as Prey 2017, and they'd certainly be cheaper options. I'd love to see if I can beat Furi on a harder difficulty. I may play Curse while everyone else is playing Monkey Island 2 as I've given 2 more than enough love! Equally I will use the discussion for Gravity Rush 2 as motivation to finally play the original.

After my embarrassing admission on Sound of Play that the only FF I've finished is X-2, somehow, I'd like to at least complete the set and join the community for FF X.

I probably won't be able to resist triple-dipping on Black Flag after trading in the 360 and One versions - it must be dirt cheap for PS4 and I want another go around. The platinum may be impossible with the state of the multiplayer though.

Nier Automata needs a play, as does MGSV. Hitman I'm currently replaying via Hitman 2, though I may not contribute as I thoroughly exhausted myself talking about it on our own ex-podcast last year. I've got DOOM VFR to play but somehow still haven't played DOOM...

As I said in the Volume Eight thread, this is an excellent year for me to celebrate some of my favourites, clear the backlog and indulge in some missed gems without breaking the bank :)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’m really looking forward to playing Trials Rising and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night on the Switch. I probably won’t be able to resist Animal Crossing and the new Pokemon RPG, although I’m still dipping in and out of Ultra Moon on 3DS over a year after starting it, so no new one unless that’s finished. I’m also really hoping that 2019 is as good as last year was for indie and retro games I don’t know about yet on the Switch. Not much love coming for my PS4 this year that I can see so far though.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Having suggested Pony Island myself I'm obviously looking forward to hearing your perspectives on it. Its a short, cheap one too, if anyone else is interested.
Apart from that, platformers and JRPGs are my bread and butter, so my most anticipated podcasts follow from there. Ape Escape in particular was a PSX highlight...

...and uh, Final Fantasy IX is my favourite in the entire series, and one of my most cherished pieces of entertainment of all time. So yeah, looking forward to that as well.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Mr Ixolite wrote: January 16th, 2019, 8:50 pm Having suggested Pony Island myself I'm obviously looking forward to hearing your perspectives on it. Its a short, cheap one too, if anyone else is interested.
Apart from that, platformers and JRPGs are my bread and butter, so my most anticipated podcasts follow from there. Ape Escape in particular was a PSX highlight...

...and uh, Final Fantasy IX is my favourite in the entire series, and one of my most cherished pieces of entertainment of all time. So yeah, looking forward to that as well.
£4! Sold on Pony Island :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Mortal Kombat 11 :lol:
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Oh... I just remembered a game I am looking forward to, and that's Dragon Quest Builders 2! I'm so tempted to just import the Japanese Switch version, but I'll be patient and wait for the Western release.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I forgot a couple of smaller titles I'm hyped for, but may not buy on Day One depending on price...

Man of Medan - something of a sequel to Until Dawn; the devs seem to be going for a horror anthology thing, keeping only the psychologist fellow as a common thred.

The Sinking City - seems to be based on Lovecraft (I wanna say Shadows Over Innsmouth?) and focuses on the protag's sanity and relative perception of reality. Has some really neat non-Euclidian level design going on.