Sound of Play: 180

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 180

Post by JaySevenZero »

In this special 180th edition of Sound of Play, we bring some wonderful tracks from Nintendo’s Super Smash Bros. series. Join us in the second part of our exploration of the grand collaboration’s musical history, as we follow Super Smash Bros. across the Wii, 3DS, Wii U, and Switch. Due to the sheer number of great tracks in the series, we’ve divided this special into two parts. Catch up with the first part of the two-part special in Sound of Play 160!

This show’s presenters are Ryan Hamann and Darren Gargette.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

1: Snowman by Shogo Sakai – Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 2008

2: With Mila’s Divine Protection (Celica Map 1) by Noriyuki Iwadare – Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 2008

3: Power-Hungry Fool by Yoshito Hirano – Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 2008

4: Flat Zone 2 by Kenichi Okuma – Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 2008

5: Menu by Junichi Nakatsuru – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, 2014

6: if ~Hitori Omou~ by Hiroki Morishita – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, 2014

7: Dark Pit’s Theme by Motoi Sakuraba – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, 2014

8: Bubblegum K.K. by Atsuko Asahi – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, 2014

9: Minor Circuit by K?ji Hayama – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, 2014

10: Ryu Stage by Yoko Shimomura – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, 2014

11: Results Display Screen by Hiroyuki Kawada – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U, 2014

12: Title (E3 2018) by Junichi Nakatsuru – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

13: The Dark Realm by Rio Hamamoto – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

14: Gang-Plank Galleon by ACE – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

15: Crocodile Cacophony by Soshi Abe – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

16: Kass’s Theme by Yoko Shimomura – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

17: F-Zero Medley by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

18: Metal Man Stage by Yusuke Takahama – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

19: Vega Stage by Yoko Shimomura – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

20: Starker / Wicked Child by Hideki Sakamoto – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

21: Wrecking Crew Medley by Tetsuya Shibata – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

22: Light Plane by Noriyuki Iwadare – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

23: Galeem/Dharkon by Hideki Sakamoto – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2018

Sound of Play: 180 was edited by Ryan Hamann

Remember, it’s not just about what we like, so venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com and put forward your own suggestions so that we might include them in future shows.

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or you can just simply download from here instead.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 180

Post by Flabyo »

As I said on Twitter, this arrangement of Vega’s theme is the best one it’s had. Better than any of the attempts to redo it in later street fighter games.

Why Capcom don’t use Yoko Shimomura anymore I don’t know.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

This one was a really rough listen. I appreciate the want for diverse music, but the Game and Watch one, the Animal Crossing one and the victory fanfare one were just painful on my ears. Went on waaaaaaaay longer than I felt they should have, given the repetitive loops and irritating sound effects.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I sometimes feel that way when it comes to the length of the tracks but whenever I used to edit music, especially for a SoP I struggled with shortening it for the listeners time/patience or keeping it how the composer intended, loops and all.

Thanks for the feedback, i'm sure the current SoP editors will keep it in mind
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

dezm0nd wrote: January 13th, 2019, 8:02 am I sometimes feel that way when it comes to the length of the tracks but whenever I used to edit music, especially for a SoP I struggled with shortening it for the listeners time/patience or keeping it how the composer intended, loops and all.

Thanks for the feedback, i'm sure the current SoP editors will keep it in mind
The Smash 4 victory fanfare was really painful. It's a 15 second loop of staccato trumpet, and I swear it went on one for a good 3-5 minutes.
The Game And Watch one was just grating on the ears - I can see it working as BGM when there's all kinds of stuff happening on the screen, but in isolation, it was like drilling through steel with a dull drillbit and no hearing protection.
The Animal Crossing one was just an annoying series of babbling noises, which is maybe the norm for that series? It's not my kinda game. But it was just dreadful. XD
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I quite like that Game & Watch jam. Then again, I have a high tolerance of noise, being a fan of Public Enemy and the Bomb Squad.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The beauty of Smash is that it can have all sorts of music in a blender and come out working together brilliantly
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

dezm0nd wrote: January 13th, 2019, 12:14 pm The beauty of Smash is that it can have all sorts of music in a blender and come out working together brilliantly
Tru dat. Smash is a very special series in that regard. I've never really been a fan, but I like that so many people get all amped up about it.

Putt-Putt for Smash 6?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I absolutely love KK Slider’s Animal Crossing music. Adorable and hilarious in equal measure.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 13th, 2019, 9:08 am The Smash 4 victory fanfare was really painful. It's a 15 second loop of staccato trumpet, and I swear it went on one for a good 3-5 minutes.
The Game And Watch one was just grating on the ears - I can see it working as BGM when there's all kinds of stuff happening on the screen, but in isolation, it was like drilling through steel with a dull drillbit and no hearing protection.
The Animal Crossing one was just an annoying series of babbling noises, which is maybe the norm for that series? It's not my kinda game. But it was just dreadful. XD
Totally fair on the victory fanfare. Listening back, that struck me as one that I should have shortened. I blame doing the entire edit in one afternoon on my day flying back from New Mexico. To be fair, it's only about a minute fifty, though. All of the Ultimate tracks (except for the last one) were halved in length -- I should have gotten that one, too.

Have to disagree on the Game & Watch and Animal Crossing tracks, though. I think that they play an important part in the musical narrative of the series.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

InsrtCoins wrote: January 18th, 2019, 3:59 am
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 13th, 2019, 9:08 am The Smash 4 victory fanfare was really painful. It's a 15 second loop of staccato trumpet, and I swear it went on one for a good 3-5 minutes.
Totally fair on the victory fanfare. Listening back, that struck me as one that I should have shortened. I blame doing the entire edit in one afternoon on my day flying back from New Mexico. To be fair, it's only about a minute fifty, though. All of the Ultimate tracks (except for the last one) were halved in length -- I should have gotten that one, too.

Have to disagree on the Game & Watch and Animal Crossing tracks, though. I think that they play an important part in the musical narrative of the series.
I feel you, I was listening in my car in stupid traffic during a snowstorm - not exactly New Mexico weather, I reckon - so that likely exacerbated my frustration levels.