The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Simonsloth

Re: The "Introduce yourself" thread

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 11:27 am
Harley Piper wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 7:17 am These days I guess I could be called a bit of a 'closet gamer' as there is a view amongst my social circle that gaming is for kids. This stigma is another reason why I thought I would join the forum, to have conversations with likeminded people!
Is this stigma still a thing? Wow.

Welcome to the forum, Harley! :P
It certainly is my friend. I get ribbed every Christmas when my amazon wishlist resembles my 10 year old nephew’s. My workplace think I’m a teenager trapped in a 35 year olds body. I would say it’s a generational thing but a significant number of my peers say they are waiting for their partners to “grow out of it”. Even when I liken it to enjoying a film or series the response is “but it’s for kids right?”

It doesn’t bother me but means I don’t have the water cooler moments that I would like. There’s also no water cooler but that’s beside the point.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 4:24 pm It certainly is my friend. I get ribbed every Christmas when my amazon wishlist resembles my 10 year old nephew’s. My workplace think I’m a teenager trapped in a 35 year olds body. I would say it’s a generational thing but a significant number of my peers say they are waiting for their partners to “grow out of it”. Even when I liken it to enjoying a film or series the response is “but it’s for kids right?”

It doesn’t bother me but means I don’t have the water cooler moments that I would like. There’s also no water cooler but that’s beside the point.
Well, that's unfortunate. :|

But I think that, even beyond the generational thing, we also have to acknowledge how insular the medium actually is. For the longest time, you had two distinct groups of people: those who played video games and those who didn't, with very little room in-between. I guess the initial barrier of entry has been steadily lowered with the rising prominence of the mobile market and the introduction of less mechanically demanding genres over the years, but video games are still an interactive medium that require a higher level of investment than passive ones.

I think that a lot of the bad rap has more to do with ignorance than anything else. Take Bloodborne, for example. Half the gaming community is heads over heels in love with it. The other half doesn't like it, but still understands the enthusiasm to an extent. But I'd imagine that most outsiders would have a really hard time understanding the intricacies and layers that make it such a special experience. Especially those who only have second-hand knowledge of 2D Mario on one side and StarCraft esports on the other.

And we do have a water cooler, right here! :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Haha I can imagine Leon saying it now: Join the Cane And Rinse forum your virtual water cooler
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Hi Harley,

As an Australian, I greatly admire your country's superior internet speeds, and the fact that your elected officials are the one's that were voted for, rather than the ones that weren't! :lol:

Also, I know that stigma... from across the ditch, welcome!
countstex

Post by countstex »

Harley Piper wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 7:17 am
These days I guess I could be called a bit of a 'closet gamer' as there is a view amongst my social circle that gaming is for kids. This stigma is another reason why I thought I would join the forum, to have conversations with likeminded people!

Harley
Welcome! Amusing you've tried the games are the same as (actually better than, but we'll keep that to ourselves) watching TV, Movies or reading books approach, perhaps also ask them if they think crosswords and Sudoku are also for kids? Or acting. ie taking on other roles for a while for the purposes of enjoyment and/or seeing other peoples points of view.

Unfortunately the whole gamergate thing set the who acceptance side of things back a decade, but gains have been made :)Just try to work your gaming in to conversations from time to time, and never ever be ashamed of who you are.

On the plus side your kid will grow up knowing at least one gaming parent (not sure if your partner, should you have one, also games)so the next generation (do we have a name for those after millennials yet??) will be even better placed.

Stay true, and play more games! :D

Stex.
BrightNite

Post by BrightNite »

Hi all, I'm Karen, I've only really started listening to the podcast recently, although since re-listening to the Ghost Trick and LA Noire episodes I realised I have heard a few of these before (I bloody love Ghost Trick).
I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember, I had an uncle who was about ten years older than me (sadly he passed away recently), and I grew up watching him play compiuter games - I couldnt wait to be old enough to jab the buttons myself without being yelled out for ruining his game! My brother and I were lucky enough to get his games consoles as hand-me-downs as Christmas presents, so I grew up with a Commode 64, Spectrum ZX, Amiga 500, and much later a Mega Drive. The NES was all mine however, I had that new and shiny out of the box, complete with Super Mario 3 and the Rescue Rangers game. I drifted away from gaming for a while, but got back into it with a secondhand PS1 I got around the millenium with a box full of games - Silent Hill, MGS, Syphon Filter - then I got a PS2 with my first proper pay cheque a year or so later.
I'm rambling on quite a bit, so I'll shut up now :-)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Welcome!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Welcome aboard!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hello!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome!
BrightNite

Post by BrightNite »

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Welcome from me, too. It's a good place.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Welcome, and ramble on.
BrightNite

Post by BrightNite »

clippa wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 9:53 am
BrightNite wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 6:01 pmI had an uncle who was about ten years older than me (sadly he passed away recently), and I grew up watching him play compiuter games - I couldnt wait to be old enough to jab the buttons myself without being yelled out for ruining his game!
I had absolutely no idea that was an option!
Just to be clear, you remember him fondly, aye?
There's no resentment, it was just his shouty, quirky way?

I think I've just wasted 10 years of my life.

Keep rambling, I like rambling!
Haha, he was a real sweetheart, it was more of an eye roll and a sigh than a yell. I was under five at the time and he was a teenager, and I was looking to jab the pretty buttons that would upset his progress when he was immersed in his game - for a teen he was very restrained!
Glad ramlbing is acceptable, I do it often and without thinking
Cangry

Post by Cangry »

Hello everyone! I am new here, live in Canada and plan to spend one month here in property in Bavaria with friends. Any plans for this summer?
BearFishPie

Post by BearFishPie »

Hello all, a long time Cane and Rinse listener here finally signing up to the forum.

I'm the reprehensible individual responsible for an unhealthy proportion of the puns which arise in the three word reviews, for which I can only offer apologies.

I've been playing computer and video games fairly regularly since the late 80s, from the humble ZX Spectrum through to the current gen consoles and covering a reasonably broad range of genres. When I'm not doing that, or work/family/house upkeep stuff (curse you, responsibility!) I'm probably board gaming or procrastinating about stuff.

Pleased to meet you!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome BFP, and keep the puns coming!
BearFishPie

Post by BearFishPie »

ratsoalbion wrote: July 5th, 2019, 4:40 pm Welcome BFP, and keep the puns coming!
Can do!
Dyboyl

Post by Dyboyl »

Hello everybody :)

Patron and avid gamer here, 22 y/o M
Of the 3 jobs I've had, all have allowed me to listen to music or podcasts at work, and so in the search for a good gaming one last year I came upon Cane and Rinse. By far my favorite.

I really enjoy the long form style and more thoughtful delivery you guys use, similar to other podcasts such as Dev Game Club.

I've dabbled in quite a bit of game related stuff, level design, music creation, map and mission making etc. etc. but have yet to finish a solid project, hopefully to be changed :lol:

My introduction to games would've been Spyro or Croc on the PS1 I would imagine. I play on anything I can get my hands on nowadays, although mostly I reside on PC.

Looking forward to talking with y'all in the future on here!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hello Dyboyl (and everyone else, of course). Welcome to the forum! :)