Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Pitwar

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by Pitwar »

27th Jan - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)

I started playing this when it came out on the Switch, but it got put on the back burner due to a million other games coming out. But over the past week I went back to it and polished it off, and I'm so pleased I did.

Towards the end of the game my language got a little blue with some of the levels testing my patience, but practice made perfect and I managed to get all the gems, complete all the challenges and found all the pixel toads. I think the speed runs are beyond me though.

An absolutely great game, and a must for any Switch owner.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Pitwar wrote: January 29th, 2019, 9:31 am 27th Jan - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)

I started playing this when it came out on the Switch, but it got put on the back burner due to a million other games coming out. But over the past week I went back to it and polished it off, and I'm so pleased I did.

Towards the end of the game my language got a little blue with some of the levels testing my patience, but practice made perfect and I managed to get all the gems, complete all the challenges and found all the pixel toads. I think the speed runs are beyond me though.

An absolutely great game, and a must for any Switch owner.
Abouts how long she to beat? I have the WiiU one and I'm considering bringing it camping.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 29th, 2019, 10:09 am Abouts how long she to beat? I have the WiiU one and I'm considering bringing it camping.
The playtime on my Switch is showing as 20 hours.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

ThirdDrawing wrote: January 28th, 2019, 6:17 pm
delb2k wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:55 am Jan:

Moss - PSVR
How did you enjoy Moss? I've been teetering towards getting PSVR but I'm not totally sure yet. Moss is one of the games that has me almost convinced.
Charming, wonderful and truly a title that shows how VR can provide a very special type of game. Basically the title uses individual sets that you can look around and move your mouse through but makes it all come to life so much better than if it was just a standard 2D representation. The way it uses depth is very special.

Most people appear to put Astro Bot higher up but as a 2-3 hour adventure I was truly blown away by it. Certainly if you are looking at a PSVR there is a very good case with Moss, Astro Bot and Wipeout all being really good. My next thing to try is Tetris Effect.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

delb2k wrote: January 29th, 2019, 11:15 am

Charming, wonderful and truly a title that shows how VR can provide a very special type of game. Basically the title uses individual sets that you can look around and move your mouse through but makes it all come to life so much better than if it was just a standard 2D representation. The way it uses depth is very special.

Most people appear to put Astro Bot higher up but as a 2-3 hour adventure I was truly blown away by it. Certainly if you are looking at a PSVR there is a very good case with Moss, Astro Bot and Wipeout all being really good. My next thing to try is Tetris Effect.
Yeah - Moss, WIpeout, Tetris and Deracine are the games that are convincing me to get it. Moss looks really fun and charming. I need to poke around HK and see what prices are for VR.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Just beat RE2make and all I can say is... WOW.

I don't think it's quite as good as REmake for a handful of reasons, but I think it will most likely end up surpassing Code Veronica as my second favourite in the series. It stays close to the original in all the ways that matter, but modernizes everything in such a way that it feels like a fully realized vision of what they wanted to do in 1998.

it's my GOTY so far. ;D But KH3 is due to arrive in the mail TOMORROW.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Spoiler: show
Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)

A first person dungeon crawler with not much to speak of. It is fairly basic in its combat and puzzles with nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd. Even though the story gets completed, it feels half finished because you beat the game 10+ levels before you can get to the bottom of the skill tree and heavier armor doesn't even appear until those higher levels.

There are different difficulties but it is done in the worst way. Not only does it do the standard increased enemy HP and damage, it makes any enemy with a shield into a slog. For whatever reason, it massively increases their chance to block to the point going 10 swings in a row blocked is normal. In a 1v1, it makes it very boring since you can move off the square just as they attack and you'll never get it. With multiple enemies, it makes things take absolutely forever, increasing the chance you'll get boxed in and instantly killed. Oh, and they can block from all directions, even directly behind them. Somehow.

Even after all these years, Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 have been the gold standard for this genre and nothing else I've played has come close to it. Anyone have some recommendations here?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Nier Automata Ending Y

Glad I did it but it probably took me longer than any of the playthroughs and was borderline worth it. In hindsight it’s probably one I should have watched on YouTube.

Consider this one Caned and Rinsed. 100% and platinum.

Now im undecided on something and spoiler regarding endgame stuff so do not click on this unless you want some endgame stuff spoiled.
not sure if I can bring myself to have my save deleted after almost 100 hours. I want to help out other players and do what the game wants me to but I’m going to sit on it for a bit first
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Decided to take a break from zombie apocalypse action in Resident Evil 2 and finish Episode 3 of The Walking Dead final season. Oh hang on! :lol:

Really really strong and gruesome in places. Interesting decisions to make that are not obvious or black and white
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: January 30th, 2019, 1:24 pm Decided to take a break from zombie apocalypse action in Resident Evil 2 and finish Episode 3 of The Walking Dead final season. Oh hang on! :lol:

Really really strong and gruesome in places. Interesting decisions to make that are not obvious or black and white
Back to Resident Evil 2 and Claire B complete. 4th survivor and Leon B unlocked so going straight into 4th survivor now.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: January 6th, 2019, 2:58 pm 01/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES]
04/01: Quarantine Circular [Switch]
05/01: Resident Evil 2 [GCN]
10/01: Diablo III: Eternal Collection [Switch]
26/01: Feudal Alloy [Switch]

http://www.playcritically.com/2019/01/3 ... ideogames/

Feudal Alloy caught my eye as soon as it appeared on the Switch eshop’s Coming Soon page. It makes a compelling pitch: An adventure-platformer where a knight cavorts across fields and through caves, but the knight is a goldfish floating in a fishbowl controlling a steam-powered suit of robotic armor. But aside from this charming premise, Feudal Alloy also embodies the indie platformer de rigueur: An apparent inspiration from Super Metroid. I haven’t played a Super Metroid-style platformer since Hollow Knight was released last summer, so I was in the mood for another. But while its whimsy holds up throughout, Feudal Alloy feels repetitive and shallow.

Videogames which echo Super Metroid are caught in a precarious balance: Change too little and come off feeling derivative, or change too much and compromise the spirit of its progenitor. That spirit is felt in two ways: One, a suffused mystery fueled by a rejection of the expository, and two, a sense of growth from probing all hidden corners of the map.

Feudal Alloy eschews mystery and embraces exposition. It begins like a storybook, complementing the pastel colors and delicate, hand-drawn visual aesthetic. A motherly voice narrates the opening cutscene: Attu is an “average robot” charged with caring for “veteran robots” (and if you thought the characters were goldfish with powered armor, so did I, and I’ve chosen to dismiss this discrepancy as bad copyediting). He farms sunflowers to create oil that lubricates his charges’ rusting bodies. One day, Attu’s farm is attacked by bandits who make off with the veterans’ valuables and all the sunflower oil. Borrowing a veteran’s sword, Attu pursues the thieves.

That’s the whole plot. There’s no greater understanding of this world to be found by exploring the caves beneath Attu’s farm. There’s no deeper meaning to the packs of goldfish-piloted machines that Attu combats. What I understood from Feudal Alloy’s introduction is the same understanding I had at its conclusion. Attu’s oil is stolen by thieves; he fights them, gets the oil back, and goes home. The end.

Such rudimentary narrative design may carry a game whose strength lies in other design areas, but Feudal Alloy runs into more problems through the “strength through exploration” aspect of adventure-platformers. Simply put: Exploring the environment doesn’t necessarily result in a stronger Attu.

At its adventure-platformer core, Feudal Alloy is routine. Attu begins with a rudimentary set of skills which provide access to a limited starting area. Exploring this area results in upgrades that provide access to more rooms. Repeat until the entire environment is available and the final encounter opens. Feudal Alloy follows this formula with the prerequisite upgrades appearing: Double-jumping, air-dashing, and certain attacks which open specific doors, all increasing the number of areas Attu can access. This concept is familiar and works as it always has.

It is how Feudal Alloy treats additional exploration where the spirit it tries to evoke is undermined. Rather than permanent upgrades, Attu finds new parts for his body and more powerful swords. This equipment is interchangeable and has variable statistics, such as increased attack power, increased health capacity, etc. Discovering a new part thus does not create a new maximum power level and instead offers a new variable which may or may not be an improvement. There are also ten pendants hidden across the map representing the valuables stolen from the veteran robots; finding these offers no discernible advantage or reward.

As a result, the more I explored the map, the more I encountered hidden items which had little value. This grew more and more deflating as time went on.

It’s unfair to hold every videogame which bears the faintest resemblance to Super Metroid to the standards it set. It’s okay to try something new. But when we feel disappointed or unrewarded, as I did by Feudal Alloy, it’s not unreasonable to look back at something which was more successful and examine why that is.

Feudal Alloy echoes the bones of Super Metroid, intentionally or unintentionally, without utilizing the connective tissue that made it work or offering successful new ideas as an alternative.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas

I felt like giving this one a revisit on the Switch. Felt like a good platform for it, which it was. Fits handheld play well. It's still a nice calming experience that gives a little scratch to that Zelda itch, even if it's kind of rough round the edges and doesn't really tax the mind much. Still looking forward to the sequel. It should be out on phones this year, but I hope a PC/console version isn't far off.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Lego Marvel's Avengers
Jan 30th Titanfall 2

Since I first played the multiplayer tech test in late 2015, I've been interested in getting this though it's been hovering around as 'that game I should pick up' until I saw it for just a few pounds in the Christmas XBox sale and finally picked it up.

The multiplayer from the times I played it in beta, and on free play weekends, was a fast, frantic frenzy of parkouring pilots and tanking titans. The campaign by comparison seemed much more focussed on being just another shooter, where the bits between shooting were a little more interesting.
I remember reviews at the time praising the campaign for not being afraid to try out a gimmick for a level then discard it but the first two thirds or so, it felt to me as if Respawn Entertainment had gone for a sci-fi FPS and had forgotten that the twin selling points of the game were a good implementation of parkour in a 1st person game and controlling a kickass mech. It's a combination that works very well but it just seemed massively underutilised in the campaign.

There were a couple of highlight missions towards the end - leading a mech assault on an enemy base then the aerial pursuit to the final level. And the final level certainly had sparks what the adverts implied with your character finally able to edge towards Matrix with the addition of the final pilot weapon. But mostly the game just didn't seem to quite live up to the concept.

That items were introduced for levels was fine and there was a surprising variety but in practical terms, the mechanics were no different to that I was doing in Prince of Persia from the first Sands of Time entry onwards. And the mostly obvious signposted the game did to show where to wall run. meant that the few spots where this wasn't clear meant there were a couple of points where I was just wandering aimlessly, wondering how/if I had missed an obvious wall run somewhere.

Graphics were very good, though the character models don't seem to be aging well. The sound was also on point - and I liked that there was a choice of dialogue options so you could slightly pick what sort of character your protagonist was, without disrupting the narrative. But the ending was a little abrupt, even with the obvious sequel hooks.

I haven't gone into the multiplayer this time around, largely as I'm thinking that anyone still playing this two years later is going to run roughshod over me. Achievement Hunter had a video in TItanfall 2 recently as part of the January celebration of the new Gen:Lock animation from RT and it still looks as fun and frenetic as ever so I may dip my toes in, particularly if I can go in with a group of people.

Largely I'm glad I've finally played through the campaign and it does some great moments but it overall seems like Respawn didn't quite make good on the premise.

I hope for a Titanfall 3 with a fully realised campaign - but I suspect that Titanfall 2 may not have done well enough in sales ...

TL:dr

A good game, slightly marred in execution but worth trying out
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

23/1/19 Baner Saga ios.

31/1/19 Life is Strange session 2 Episode 2

A slowburner of an episode but enjoyable will not say much more about it , except I messed up bad!!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished Resi 2 again, this time Leon B.

Three times in a week. Says alot about my love for that game
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)

Recently I decided that it was a good time to try to get through some of my backlog of games I had picked up over the years in free giveaways or bundles and such, but had never touched. So this is the first one I picked. I had heard a lot of really good things about this game and some of the subject matter it deals with, but I pretty much never play horror games, and have been very turned off games of that ilk that put you up against an overbearing threat that can kill you easily. I find they quickly lose their sense of fear and just become highly aggravating as you end up repeatedly throwing yourself in to the meat grinder over and over trying to work out what to do to progress. So because of that I decided to opt for the Safe Mode in this, so I didn't have to worry about dying. I was a bit apprehensive about not playing the game in the "intended" way though, as I've previously talked about, I want to experience the vision a developer the way they wanted to portray it. But here I don't think that would have turned out well for me, and I think most of what they were going for is still actually intact in this mode.

It was a really engrossing and immersive experience, that did a fantastic job of creating a rich atmosphere of dread and horror, while also bringing up some very interesting questions about humanity, personhood, and what is exactly counts as "human". It weaves them together well in a way that adds an existential edge to the horror, while it also having that straightforward terrifying presentation too. The threat of the out of control AI was really compelling as well. It took something that is a pretty academic and theoretical fear, and turned it in to something really visceral and monstrous. And speaking of monsters, the game actually managed to still make them feel very scary and dangerous even in this Safe Mode. They still felt like they posed a real threat to you, and makes you want to avoid them and stay out of their sight. They can still inspire fear and panic, without impeding progress, or repeated deaths resulting in a metaphorical pulling back of the curtains turning them in to a frustrating mechanic that you have to try to cheese to overcome. I also thought the ending of the game was really well done. A great gut-punch that really hammers home the themes the game is going for.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

So jealous you got to experience this for the first time and I’ll never forget that first time through. So many great moments.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: January 5th, 2019, 1:04 am 5th Jan - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)
1st Feb - Doom (2016) (XBO)

That was fun, but also oddly forgettable at the same time? I prefer my shooters a bit slower paced than this, so I doubt I’m really getting into the ‘flow’ that those who really like this one do.