The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: January 30th, 2019, 9:50 pm I've got a question, which is probably stupid, but...

There are always PS4 humble bundles that look good, that you can't get in the UK because its always US only. If I made a US account on PSN, could I then buy the humble bundles and play the games?
Not a stupid question at all. Yes you can do this. Also if the US account is set as your main user on the console you can then login to your normal ID and earn trophies and proceed as normal.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Quick question - does PS4 use the same power supply as PS3 Slim? My PS4 is downstairs and PS3 upstairs in the bedroom. I'm thinking I'd like to replay the first RDR after I've finished the sequel, and was wondering whether I can just literally swap the consoles over without having to faff with the leads? (The power cables look the same, just wasn't sure about amps and volts and all that nonsense).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yep, same cables.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ta!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Just received an email regarding this months ps now update:

There’s also classic stealth action to be enjoyed in METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION. Oh, and if you’re a Metal Gear fan, this is just the beginning: FOUR other games from the series will be joining PS Now very soon…

Four other games?
So MGS4, phantom pain and ground zeroes possible but what’s the fourth? I’m intrigued. Maybe survive?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Rising, I would imagine.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Yes of course it is
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really need to play Rising. I'm going to bring my PS3 downstairs at some point and bash through a few old games I really want to play I think.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Rising is a banger of a game. Amazing soundtrack too
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: February 27th, 2019, 3:37 pm I might be wrong but I don’t think the PS4 lets you start things unless enough space to fully install or fully installed already.
The PS4 UI can be really devious in that regard. Basically, there's two steps to most installation processes. There's the "ready-to-start" step and the "installation fully complete" step.

Digital games are very straightforward. The download bar clearly shows how much of the data has been stored on your HDD and the distinction between step 1 and 2 is often clearly marked.

But physical games only ever give out a notification when the game / application is "ready-to-start" while continuing to install incognito in the background. Which means that 9 times out of 10, you'll be locked out of anything past the first chapter / mission / area if you start the game as soon as the notification pops up. Last week I started up Ace Combat 7 only to be met with an installation animation already at 60% waiting for me in the main menu.

Thankfully, there's a way to approximately tell when the entire installation process is complete - when the disc drive stops spinning. Which usually happens 10 to 15 minutes after the console straight up lied to you.

Yes, it's every bit as uncouth as it sounds.

TL;DR: It's usually best to assume that the full installation of physical games on PS4 will last a bit longer than displayed.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 27th, 2019, 4:29 pm
Simonsloth wrote: February 27th, 2019, 3:37 pm I might be wrong but I don’t think the PS4 lets you start things unless enough space to fully install or fully installed already.
The PS4 UI can be really devious in that regard. Basically, there's two steps to most installation processes. There's the "ready-to-start" step and the "installation fully complete" step.

Digital games are very straightforward. The download bar clearly shows how much of the data has been stored on your HDD and the distinction between step 1 and 2 is often clearly marked.

But physical games only ever give out a notification when the game / application is "ready-to-start" while continuing to install incognito in the background. Which means that 9 times out of 10, you'll be locked out of anything past the first chapter / mission / area if you start the game as soon as the notification pops up. Last week I started up Ace Combat 7 only to be met with an installation animation already at 60% waiting for me in the main menu.

Thankfully, there's a way to approximately tell when the entire installation process is complete - when the disc drive stops spinning. Which usually happens 10 to 15 minutes after the console straight up lied to you.

Yes, it's every bit as uncouth as it sounds.

TL;DR: It's usually best to assume that the full installation of physical games on PS4 will last a bit longer than displayed.
That’s interesting because when I popped in Doom it came up saying please free up 70 odd gb in order to play this game. It happened with Nier too. Perhaps it’s because I run my PS4 at about 99% full at all times.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Next month's PS+ games:

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare: Remastered.

The Witness.

Two cracking games. Been wanting MW for ages, and the Witness is one of the best games I've ever played.

Still stings a bit though, just the two games from now on. Bit of a dick move from Sony. OK get rid of PS3 and Vita from the monthly games, but at least chuck in an extra PS4 offering!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Both are great but most people will own or have played modern warfare and the witness is a few quid on iOS now. Doesn’t feel like the PS3 and vita absence have equated to more value from the PS4 entries.

I hoped for a big hitter as a statement but I’m left a bit deflated:(
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Charging the same (well an increase recently) for a lesser product is pretty poor.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Todays PS4 update apparently adds official support for remote play on iOS devices, which is pretty big news!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming ... t-does/amp
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I tested this and the r-play app. The r-play app connects instantly and is pretty lag free. Sony’s own app struggles to connect from same spot in my house and when does is incredibly slow, unresponsive and disconnects frequently. How can the official app be so poor in comparison. Early days perhaps but it’s pretty disappointing.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Firmware is kind of that mandatory that gets in the way more often than not. Nothing like sitting down in the evening, getting comfortable and ready to play a game, only to be greeted with firmware updates! Love it!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 7th, 2019, 10:35 pm Nothing like sitting down in the evening, getting comfortable and ready to play a game, only to be greeted with firmware updates! Love it!
Mate, my DMC5 copy arrived early today only for me to have to wait 10 hours until all the firmware updates and patches and DLCs were downloaded.

I get that I don't have the fastest connection, but still... :evil:
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 7th, 2019, 10:58 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 7th, 2019, 10:35 pm Nothing like sitting down in the evening, getting comfortable and ready to play a game, only to be greeted with firmware updates! Love it!
Mate, my DMC5 copy arrived early today only for me to have to wait 10 hours until all the firmware updates and patches and DLCs were downloaded.

I get that I don't have the fastest connection, but still... :evil:
10 hours is crazy!!!

Is 10 hours enough time to play through the previous 4 games?!? ;) :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 8th, 2019, 12:14 am 10 hours is crazy!!!
PS4 firmware + 3 GB day 1 patch + 8 GB Deluxe DLC + Rocket League 700 MB patch inviting itself to the party + router having a bad day = malcontent KSub.

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 8th, 2019, 12:14 am Is 10 hours enough time to play through the previous 4 games?!? ;) :D
Dunno, but it's enough to goof around a little in Bloody Palace and get some important real life stuff done for once! :lol:

Spoiler: show
Game is dope, so... forgive and forget.