The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndrewBrown

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by AndrewBrown »

I wanted to start writing again and I started with the easiest thing in the world: A fluff piece listicle on my top Switch indies!

http://www.playcritically.com/2019/01/2 ... 2017-2018/
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

You know what? I was a little harsh on New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe back there. I've been playing it on and off since release and have come to consider it as easily the best of the NSMB series and even possibly the best mainline 2d Mario game since World.

Its not perfect by any means - it still has some very irritating design flaws, I still think DKC: Tropical Freeze offers a more vibrant and creative 2d platforming experience, and I still really think the series is long overdue a refresh (especially on the visual side of things) but forget all the whining about this being a full price game - you get a hefty chunk of game for your $60 and I defy even seasoned Mario players to breeze through it - this is one fiendishly difficult game in places. I'd say as a pure demand of platforming skill, unlocking every level in NSMBU is more challenging than doing so in SMW. As I say, I've been playing it for almost a month now and still have lots of secret coins to collect and secret levels to unlock, and I haven't even touched Luigi U yet.

At this rate it will easily keep me occupied until Yoshi's Crafted World hits.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

KissMammal wrote: February 8th, 2019, 5:06 pm You know what? I was a little harsh on New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe back there. I've been playing it on and off since release and have come to consider it as easily the best of the NSMB series and even possibly the best mainline 2d Mario game since World.

Its not perfect by any means - it still has some very irritating design flaws, I still think DKC: Tropical Freeze offers a more vibrant and creative 2d platforming experience, and I still really think the series is long overdue a refresh (especially on the visual side of things) but forget all the whining about this being a full price game - you get a hefty chunk of game for your $60 and I defy even seasoned Mario players to breeze through it - this is one fiendishly difficult game in places. I'd say as a pure demand of platforming skill, unlocking every level in NSMBU is more challenging than doing so in SMW. As I say, I've been playing it for almost a month now and still have lots of secret coins to collect and secret levels to unlock, and I haven't even touched Luigi U yet.

At this rate it will easily keep me occupied until Yoshi's Crafted World hits.
That's exactly how I felt about it (and DKCTF) too on Wii U. It's tricky but has plenty of great moments.
Suits

Post by Suits »

In relation to the above, I've been working through DKC:TF again, having not finished it on the Wii U or the Switch (when it initially came out).

I think I'm towards the end of world 5 now and it's tricky but it enjoyable challenging.

Regards NSMBUD, I'm playing this solely in Co-Op with the wife in the front room when the mood grabs us.

It's a great Co-Op game to be honest and is a great deal easier with two players. Also the challenges are fun and were good for teaching her a few of the highest tier techniques.

It's funny as half way through world 3 I realised she was playing it in a single button style, as opposed to effectively always holding sprint and jumping by straightening your thumb - so having to teach her how to hold it properly (for want of a better term) was challenging.

After about half an hour she looked at me and agreed it was easier than quickly switching her thumb from B to A to do a run and jump :lol: .

I'm very much looking forward to Yoshi's crafted world and will probably ease off on playing the above as the release approached to avoid platformer burnout.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Tropical Freeze is superb, except for the bosses. I don't really like boss encounters in general but I absolutely loathed the bosses in that game in particular, to the point where i kinda dreaded finishing a world... They just go on and on, and every minute the thought of how much I'd have to replay if I died just made me so anxious. To make the player replay the same 10 minutes of boss fight just to suddenly die in the exact same point over and over just feels really cruel and unnecessary.

I ended up almost 100%ing the game, but tapped out when i hit the time trial challenges because seriously eff that noise!

Speaking of which, the last Bowser encounter in NSMBU is legitimately quite hard - possibly one of the tougher Bowser battles in a Mario game. Not relishing the thought of having to do it again for the coins.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Seems like we’re getting (allegedly) our first direct of the year on the 13th!
Suits

Post by Suits »

chase210 wrote: February 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm Seems like we’re getting (allegedly) our first direct of the year on the 13th!
Mario Maker 2
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Quick question. I have recently become a proud owner of an N64. I’m just curious whether there are any games worth getting which aren’t available elsewhere. Rare replay, wiiu virtual console and multi platform releases on other consoles make this list quite small I suspect.
I never had one back in the day but currently have pilotwings 64 on my list of the one game I own to which the above applies.
Surveying the list of best n64 games of all time brings up very few games which are not available elsewhere. Thoughts?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I was going to say Pilotwings 64! There are definitely others worth considering though. A few off the top of my head:

Space Station Silicon Valley
Body Harvest
Mischief Makers
Craig

Post by Craig »

It’s a drum I’ll keep beating forever but both the Goemon games on the N64 are great.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good shout, though I didn’t play the second, I liked the first a lot. Great music!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's my favourite console but I'm fully aware that some of the games classed as "greats" back then might've aged somewhat but if you're after games off the beaten path, so to speak.

Beetle Adventure Racing
Mischief Makers (aka Go Go Trouble Makers)
The New Tetris
Doom 64 (Essentially Doom 3)
Snowboard Kids 1 & 2
Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Rakuga Kids
Wetrix
Rocket Robot on Wheels

It really way a console of 1st party titles, though and most of the stuff published by Nintendo is quality but those are the ones I can think of which used to have a good reputation back when the console was around.

If I had to pick one overall from any of the games to of held up the best which isn't immediately obvious? Paper Mario
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Thank you for the suggestions. I haven’t heard of a lot of these which is pretty exciting in this day and age. Providing they aren’t prohibitively expensive I will have a pop at them.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Doom 64 is cool, has some unique weapons and beasties that were only seen in this entry.

Probably my favourite game on the system.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Operation Winback was pretty impressive at the time as it was one of, if not THE first game to have a third person cover mechanic
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nintendo Direct planned for tomorrow at 10PM.

Hold on to your buts...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: February 12th, 2019, 3:28 pm Nintendo Direct planned for tomorrow at 10PM.

Hold on to your buts...
30 minute reflection on Super Smash Bros? :D

Metroid Trilogy out now on the store please Nintendo!. Or Snes stuff
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: February 12th, 2019, 4:11 pm
Suits wrote: February 12th, 2019, 3:28 pm Nintendo Direct planned for tomorrow at 10PM.

Hold on to your buts...
30 minute reflection on Super Smash Bros? :D

Metroid Trilogy out now on the store please Nintendo!. Or Snes stuff
Loads of crazy rumours flying around, that have been for a few days to be fair:
Spoiler: show
MPT
Mario Maker 2
Pikmin 3 port
New 2D Zelda
Boxboy
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It says on the tweet to expect details on the new Fire Emblem.

So if past directs are any indication, it’ll be 25 minutes on that.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't know... should I watch it?

I'm dying to know more, but it'd be nice to go into the game as blind as possible for once. :?
Spoiler: show
I don't think I'll be able to resist...