The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by dezm0nd »

I dont get excited by internet rumours when it comes to a Nintendo Direct.

It'll be a fine watch im sure and ill catch up with it in the morning.

... or it'll have F-Zero GX remake on Switch and I'm gonna rub my thighs into oblivion
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

dezm0nd wrote: February 12th, 2019, 5:01 pm ... or it'll have F-Zero GX remake on Switch and I'm gonna rub my thighs into oblivion
GX already has native widescreen support and is as pixel perfect as it's always been.

No need for any Switch port or remake to experience it the way that the wizards at Amusement Vision intended. ;)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah but taking your gamecube into the bathroom is very 2002
Craig

Post by Craig »

Can’t wait for the internet expecting Zelda and getting 25 minutes going in depth on the menus and settings available in the new Fire Emblem game.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

That e3 smash direct really has left a meme behind, hasn't it
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sweet.

There was some good stuff in that Direct I thought. One of the best ones.

Happy days.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Fire emblem looked kinda meh... character designs seemed quite plain, and I’m not a massive fan of the ‘high school’ setting (Valkyria Chronicles 2 almost made it work... almost...)

Going to try the Daemon x Machina demo before I go to bed, and the Zelda thingy at the end mad me happy.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Up to speed. Lost me in the middle in that sea of 'anime boy stalks girl, girl battles generic monster to earn a skill tree upgrade, lots of people grunt whilst numbers appear on screen’s JRPG nonsense BUT either side of that was great.

New Platinum game looks incredible. I’m all over Hellblade (that’s weird, don’t Xbox own this now? Are these two converging into a super brand?). Yoshi gets better every time I see it. Can’t wait to play Matt Daemon X Machinehead. Never played a Fire Emblem but I hear good things and I think this looks good…? Tetris 99, Grid and Boxboy will all get bought. Bloodstained seems good too. Oninaki very beautiful.

Mario Maker 2… Hmmmm… Lost interest fast on Wii U, but we’ll see. Fancy the DLC on Toad but won’t buy it again full price. Never played Links Awakening so that’s a great finale, though I wasn’t 100% into the art style.

Final Fantasy 9 is tempting me…

All in all, pretty bloody good given they didn’t even touch on most of the games that we know are out this year.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I always get really hyped for these things, then ultimately find them a bit underwhelming - the content of them always seems to comprise about 80% obscure JRPGs and DLC for game's I don't play.

Sorely disappointed that there was no mention of Metroid Prime Trilogy or the long-rumoured Star Fox Grand Prix, though Link's Awakening looks ace.

One thing that is really missing from the Switch library is an arcadey racing game in the style of Ridge Racer or Outrun: Coast to Coast. GRID looks OK, but not really what I'm after.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Did not watch the Nintendo Direct - never do because I'm old and I want to go to bed, and it's the internet, I'll just wait.

Good to see Link's Awakening getting some modern love! It looks very... let's say "Nintendo"? That is, very bright and colourful, and appealing.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Thought it was a good Direct. The middle but wasnt for me but there's no denying that systems appeal to that particular audience.

I see a lot of people complaining about how it was a bad Direct but i think what they mean is that their dream game wasnt announced.

Links Remakening is my favourite from the bunch and whilst i dont really click with Mario Maker, Fire Emblem and others there's a wide net cast from Nintendo with this Direct.

A Direct chock full of games for Summer. Clearing the way for E3. Very smart.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Not much for me bar Tetris and FFIX but it seemed like a better direct
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

KissMammal wrote: February 14th, 2019, 1:00 am .One thing that is really missing from the Switch library is an arcadey racing game in the style of Ridge Racer or Outrun: Coast to Coast. GRID looks OK, but not really what I'm after.
I hear you.

There are some futuristic ones like FAST Racing Neo and Grip but I'd love one of these too.

Nearest I have got to it is Horizon Chase Turbo which is very good but more like the original OutRun.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Isn’t the actual Outrun already on the Switch?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The yoshi demo is absolutely lovely, looks gorgeous, play like a dream. Daemon X Machina demo was a lot of fun, my only complaint is how rough it looks and runs right now, but I’m sure it’ll be better for launch. And I bought final fantasy IX! Even though it was the odd price of €20.99.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Flabyo wrote: February 14th, 2019, 7:55 am Isn’t the actual Outrun already on the Switch?
It is yeah. I preferred this game though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Just quickly on the Z:LA remake, I love this game it was my first Zelda.

I’ve only actually played through it twice, once on my original cart then once on the DX version for the Color.

I wonder if the remake will include those extra dungeons.

An issue I have with the original is the constant inventory switching due to the two buttons so having the extra buttons on the Switch will really help this in terms of gameplay.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

That was a pretty good direct. Usually I keep my expectations a bit low for most of these, since they usually tend to turn out just okay. But this one had quite a few very interesting games, and it's really good that they're all coming relatively soon as well.

Obviously being a big Platinum fan Astral Chain looks really interesting. Combat looks good, and it seems like it might have some neat original ideas going on too. It looks like one of their more experimental games too, which we haven't seen them put out in a while. So it's cool to see them return to doing that. Sad that it seems Bayo 3 is still a while off, but this should be more than enough to tide me over for now. More Platinum is always great.

Zelda was really cute. I've never played the original, and don't tend to like the top-down ones as much as the fully 3D ones. But maybe this one will be a bit different. I definitely want to try it out. Also Link is left-handed again!

Oninaki looked sort of interesting. I wasn't interested in the past games from the studio, but this one being an action RPG appeals to me more. It had a nice art style at least. That, and the thing about recruiting spirits to be your weapons gave me a bit of a Folklore vibe. I have heard the previous games from those people were a bit mediocre though, so I'm not totally sold on this one, but it has my attention at least.

It's really cool to see Hellblade get ported as well. I never imagined that would even be possible. From the footage they showed it seemed to look visually pretty great as well. Hard to believe that's even running on the Switch. I don't think I'll buy it again, but it's really impressive anyway.

Kind of disappointed that there wasn't that rumoured Prime Trilogy, but I think what we got more than made up for it. Got quite a few things to look forward too, and not too long to wait.

I'll vouch for Grid Autosport as a pretty good racing game too. I doesn't really play realistically at all, despite how they presented it. It's not going to light anyone's world on fire, but it's pretty fun regardless. A bit of an odd choice for a port, but meh, it's not a bad time. And the Switch does need more racing games in general.

I also tried out the demo for Daemon X Machina, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. While the visual style is very striking, everything else about it was pretty underwhelming. Performance is pretty bad in that demo, and the UI is a mess. Makes it very hard to see what's going on. Firing your weapons didn't really feel like it had much feedback either, and the writing and voice acting were pretty terrible.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I downloaded the new DLC for Captain Toad.

Two new episodes, one out today, next out March 14th.

Episode one has twenty pages in its book, so it’s likely that’s an additional 20 maps.

£5.39 for the pair, which I thought was pretty decent.

I’d pay that for more CT.

I’d also forgotten about the 100% completion bonus you get, once you finish everything which was a nice surprise when I booted up the first new level of the book :lol: .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don’t think I’m going to manage that before we record, sadly!