Trying to Phase the Wii Out Of My Collection...

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Trying to Phase the Wii Out Of My Collection...

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Hey folks,

So I'm on vacation this week, and I have a list of projects I want to tackle... One of those is trying to eliminate the Wii from my gaming cabinet, because I'm literally only keeping it around for 6 Gamecube games and some WiiWare stuff. So I have a few questions for folks more technically "In The Know".

- I have heard that the WiiU can actually run GC discs natively with a small amount of software tinkering... Is this true? Is it easy to accomplish?
- How do I transfer my WiiWare stuff over to the WiiU?
- Does the GC adapter for Smesh Bross work for GC games and Wii games that support the GC controller natively? And if no, are there software solutions to resolve this?
- Is there any support for translation patches and homebrew mods? Or is this something I'd need an emulator for?

Thanks in advance! I really hate having two Wii remotes and having them tethered to only one system each, and I hate the Wii as a piece of hardware.

Thanks!
KSubzero1000

Re: Trying to Phase the Wii Out Of My Collection...

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: February 13th, 2019, 9:15 am - I have heard that the WiiU can actually run GC discs natively with a small amount of software tinkering... Is this true? Is it easy to accomplish?
That's what I've heard as well. The WiiU actually has a 1:1 copy of a Wii inside, so that makes sense. You would have to resort to a homebrew channel called Nintendont, however.

Magical_Isopod wrote: February 13th, 2019, 9:15 am - How do I transfer my WiiWare stuff over to the WiiU?
Well, you could download dedicated transfer channels on each platform that would create a perfect copy of all your Wii data and carry it over to your WiiU:

But I think the Wii eShop closed recently, so I don't know how that would work out nowadays. It might be possible to just manually ferry it over with an SD card.

Magical_Isopod wrote: February 13th, 2019, 9:15 am - Does the GC adapter for Smesh Bross work for GC games and Wii games that support the GC controller natively? And if no, are there software solutions to resolve this?
Not officially. But Nintendont is supposed to have the option for GC games at least, obviously.

Sorry it isn't all that helpful, I never resort to homebrew myself so this is all second hand info except for the transfer channels. :|
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I was actually thinking about this sort of thing recently. I was thinking about importing the US version of No More Heroes 1, for the sake of having an original uncensored version. But that would involve modding/hacking the Wii U to get around the region lock, yes? Would that be simple? I have heard it's pretty easy.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Scrustle wrote: February 13th, 2019, 12:27 pm I was actually thinking about this sort of thing recently. I was thinking about importing the US version of No More Heroes 1, for the sake of having an original uncensored version. But that would involve modding/hacking the Wii U to get around the region lock, yes? Would that be simple? I have heard it's pretty easy.
I actually went ahead and started softmodding, and it's actually super simple. I don't know about Wii games - I'm going to get into testing that once my iso burning and such is all done and I've tested the Homebrew stuff - but getting GC games running on the WiiU is actually stupidly simple. There is actually multi-thousand dollar industrial software that is harder to get running than WiiU softmodding (I'm look at you, Atlas Copco, with your stupid serial registration dongle bullshit!!!).

Here's the video I've been using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cRqFsqadIM

I'm actually going to be softmodding my PS2 sometime in the near future as well - all you need is a USB stick, a memory card, a network adaptor (and they make really inexpensive third-party SATA ones now) and a hard drive. I have like 3 old HDDs laying around, pulled out of old systems, and they're overkill for the PS2; slap in a 120GB laptop SATA drive and Bob's your uncle. There are an incredible amount of utilities for making the PS2 useful again - forcing HDTV friendly resolutions, widescreen modes otherwise inaccessible off the disc, playing import games and translation patches... It's a software guy's DREAM. And if you use an SSD, there are basically no load times.