Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by ratsoalbion »

If you’re assuming they’re on the list why are you adding them to the games to go on the list thread..?
😉

(They are on the list)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 11th, 2019, 7:26 pm If you’re assuming they’re on the list why are you adding them to the games to go on the list thread..?
😉

(They are on the list)
I’m always hoping I’ll catch you out! After all i did suggest Dino Crisis ;) glad to know they are on the list.
Sage + Onion Knight

Post by Sage + Onion Knight »

I think almost every game I would've suggested is on this year's list!

One big suggestion I'd offer is Anodyne - I feel it's very underrated, especially considering how it relates to that warped nostalgia present in something like Undertale and Petscop (it's not a game, but a C&R chat about Petscop would probably be really interesting).

As an old-school adventure games nerd, I'd love for a continuation of the Monkey Island 'casts (I know it's maligned by some fans of the original two, but Curse occupies a very special place in my heart - in fact, my ideal remasters of the original two would have had them in that dreamy-looking cartoon style of CoMI)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I always thought Curse Of Monkey Island was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. The less said about the fourth game the better, though!
macstat

Post by macstat »

Curse is a great game. Especially if you consider that was the one where Guybrush spoke to us with the beautiful voice of Dominic Armato ;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The HD remakes of 1 and 2 are also fully voiced by Mr. Armato as well.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Oh yes, I ate word "first" in middle of my sentence 😜
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

The Deed & The Deed Dynasty(Steam) - The most cleverly crafted, choice based games out there. You commit a murder in a house while carefully framing your chosen resident with tricks and dialog choices. Superbly written games which really make you think.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Added.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

I'm surprised Contrast (2013) hasn't been covered. I had a look for it after finishing the game this weekend but it doesn't seem to be in the podcast back catalogue.

Contrast is an interesting game with a great art style and original ideas sadly let down by confusing mechanics and bugs. Certainly an interesting game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I mean, we haven’t even done any Metroid or Elder Scrolls (for example) games yet, so it’s not really that surprising we havent covered a 59-65% rated obscurity from 2013.

I have at least added it to the long list though!
🙂
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Left Alive

Alpha Protocol (though I probably added it years ago)

Kholat
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alpha Protocol has been suggested many, many times. No-one on the team has completed it at this point however.

I can’t imagine enough of us will want to play Left Alive, but I’ve added it nonetheless, along with Kholat.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 12th, 2019, 10:56 am Alpha Protocol has been suggested many, many times. No-one on the team has completed it at this point however.
You’re all terrible human beings.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Kholat would be a good one as it does have a lot of interesting history around it with it being ''based'' around something that actually happened.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

DomsBeard wrote: March 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm Kholat would be a good one as it does have a lot of interesting history around it with it being ''based'' around something that actually happened.
Plus Sean Bean. Parts of it were amazing but it’s an exercise in endurance for sure as there are sequences that made me furious. Would make a great discussion but not sure if there would be enough appetite for it.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 12th, 2019, 10:09 am I mean, we haven’t even done any Metroid or Elder Scrolls (for example) games yet, so it’s not really that surprising we havent covered a 59-65% rated obscurity from 2013.

I have at least added it to the long list though!
🙂
If you really need to cover games that were popular and sold well to bring in the listeners I can understand that.

It's just a shame lesser known games with original ideas and hidden gems stay under the radar.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We readily and enthusiastically cover plenty of lower profile, niche and original titles. If we were all about the big numbers we’d have covered franchises like Pokémon and (say) Star Wars games years ago, instead of things like the works of Tale of Tales, Dyad and Actual Sunlight, to name but three.

Don’t get me wrong, Contrast is now on the list and has a chance like everything else, I was more trying to make the point that there are <> 50,000 videogames in existence, and we have done 360 shows, to say it’s surprising that we haven’t done any one game in particular doesn’t really add up!
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 12th, 2019, 11:16 pm We readily and enthusiastically cover plenty of lower profile, niche and original titles. If we were all about the big numbers we’d have covered franchises like Pokémon and (say) Star Wars games years ago, instead of things like the works of Tale of Tales, Dyad and Actual Sunlight, to name but three.

Don’t get me wrong, Contrast is now on the list and has a chance like everything else, I was more trying to make the point that there are <> 50,000 videogames in existence, and we have done 360 shows, to say it’s surprising that we haven’t done any one game in particular doesn’t really add up!
That's very true.

Thank you and remember your work on the shows is always appreciated.

The Final Fantasy XIII-2 show should be an interesting one, I'm looking forward to that one, Kupo!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not sure if you were joking but there isn't a XIII-2 show planned, same for X-2.

I know Leon already said it, but there have been absolutely loads of really niche titles covered over the years. I remember (or more accurately, I actually don't) a trilogy of really obscure mobile (maybe, I think) games covered very early on. One of which I'm sure involved simply walking right until you die. Something like that. I remember playing it, but am too lazy to navigate to the relevant folder to check both it's title and whether I've completely mis-remembered that or not!

But aside from that, stuff like the Bit Trip games, Sword and Sworcery, Asuras Wrath, Cave Story etc etc, lots of games that aren't 'big names'.

EDIT: Well I've searched through the episodes folders and I really can't find anything on those three weird mobile games I mentioned. I can't have just imagined it!? I swear I remember James' voice on that episode!? Bizarre.

EDIT 2: FFS. It was the Tale Of Tales one Leon already mentioned! The game I was specifically remembering was The Graveyard, although I'd somehow managed to remember it as a 2D side on game and it's not at all - I'm not even sure their other projects were on mobile! God my memory is getting terrible.

EDIT 3: Also, yes. I am quite aware I am sat having a conversation with myself. It happens. Don't worry. I'm alright.