Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think this deserves its own thread.

I'm getting slowly but surely very excited for this. It's nice to see Miyazaki step away from the Souls games at last. As much as I like the series, I feel like they more or less squeezed everything they could out of the premise. And this is shaping up to be a fantastic action game in its own right!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pretty hyped for this, now. The more I read and see, the more it's definitely on my list.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Looks REALLY good. I like that they are moving away from some of the Soulborne staples and doing something new.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Protection Sugar - Sugar candy that increases defense :lol:

I don't like the look of those Samurai Generals, they have several health bars to whittle down :(
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I like the prospect of the prosthetic Guts arm cannon and stuff.

I like the look of the thing a bit.

I don't like stealth outside of MGSV.

I don't really like grappling hooks or one button Far Cry style baked in animation kills - at all.

Samurai Souls is a somewhat boring, predictable idea.

I don't like what I hear about limited playstyles. That was the worst thing about Bloodborne until the DLC weapons properly opened things up and gave a lot more variety, albeit still a fraction of the Souls games.

I like snow.

I don't really like the parrying sword clashing but it might feel more satisfying when I'm playing.

Enemies look no more interesting than Nioh or anything else with that aesthetic.

I don't quite understand the excitement, to be honest, apart from the generalised excitement of a new FROM game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 2:54 pm I don't quite understand the excitement, to be honest, apart from the generalised excitement of a new FROM game.
Well it's an action game with a jump button in 2019, so I'll take what I can get at this point! :D

In all seriousness, I trust Miyazaki. If that's what he wants to do next, then he has earned the benefit of the doubt in my book.

And about the limited playstyles... I understand your concern, but keep in mind that this seems to be much more of a pure action game rather than a RPG hybrid like the Souls games.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I expect that the jumping is an attempt to get away from the now goofy and tired rollin rollin rollin that was the only way to play Dark Souls 3 but the idea of jumping in front of an enemy and waving a katana or cannon arm seems pretty goofy, too!

In all seriousness, I also trust Miyazaki, based on Demon's, DS and BB. Directing alone, he's never let me down.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I feel like I should be way more excited for this game than I am.

Maybe I just need to see more, but, in a weird way, I think the Souls formula just doesn't interest me as much as it used to. I understand they're changing things up a little here, but, the changes don't seem *that* big to me yet.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

If this as close to Tenchu as we will get then im more tha happy enough. It looks so good
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sean wrote: October 16th, 2018, 5:31 pm I feel like I should be way more excited for this game than I am.

Maybe I just need to see more, but, in a weird way, I think the Souls formula just doesn't interest me as much as it used to. I understand they're changing things up a little here, but, the changes don't seem *that* big to me yet.
Completely with you on this, fella. What little I've seen looks basically like a Bloodborne reskin with some baked in grappler animations and more nicked from Berserk. I'm sure it'll be great but I don't just enjoy Souls games for the mechanics, it's everything else, the world building, the original vision, the holistic concepts, and this looks exactly like I'd imagine 'Samurai Souls' to look. Entirely predictable. My main hope at this stage is that they're pulling another Bloodborne and only showing the opening couple of areas before it takes a hard left.

I'm slightly more intrigued about the VR game I'll never play.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Aside from Red Dead, this is probably the only game I'm excited for. Sure I'll play The Last Of Us 2 and I'll love it, but I don't feel excited for it (I think it's maybe because I've only recently replayed the first one), and obviously I'm looking forward to Death Stranding because, well, Kojima, but it's too far off to be excited yet.

But Sekiro I'm really hyped for. Like right now.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Red Dead, Taiko, Smash Bros, Resi 2 remake, Sekiro. At the rate ive slowed down playing games these should chain together nicely
Sean

Post by Sean »

Stanshall wrote: October 16th, 2018, 7:33 pmthis looks exactly like I'd imagine 'Samurai Souls' to look. Entirely predictable.
I think you just nailed it for me.

I'll still play it, no doubt, but, the imagery so far seems slightly uninspired IMO, which, is like the last thing I ever thought I'd say about a From Soft game. I'm aware we're in the minority there, though.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: October 26th, 2018, 5:09 pm Basically, the article is at pains to confirm that this is not the game that many of us thought it was.
Personally, I don't find that hard to believe in the slightest. And this is probably my main disagreement with some of the skeptical longtime series fans who are just seeing it as more of the same old, same old. This doesn't look like "Samurai Souls" to me whatsoever. It very much looks like its own thing, and I for one am very excited for it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So.... Anyone playing this? There's nothing quite like jumping on a Soulsborne type game day one. Unfortunately that's not me this time around, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts! It's been getting some great reviews.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2222

Could we merge the two threads, perhaps?
Suits

Post by Suits »

I literally just finished watching the Digital Foundry platform breakdown to see which version runs best - and ultimately pick up.

Seems it’s the PS4 Pro version oddly.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't really want to watch any more pre-release footage at this point... Any word on how the base PS4 version pans out? Is it still playable? Solid frame rate?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That's really quite irritating considering the X tonks the Pro with far more demanding games. Oh, and because I bought it for 60 quid on the X.