Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 21st, 2019, 8:01 pm I don't really want to watch any more pre-release footage at this point... Any word on how the base PS4 version pans out? Is it still playable? Solid frame rate?
The video addresses the spoiler factor at the very beginning, saying that all footage is from the first 2 hours of the game and that all spoiler material I had been left out.

It’s basicaly just a few character movements out of context.

The base PS4 suffers massively with frame pacing sadly.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: March 21st, 2019, 8:01 pm That's really quite irritating considering the X tonks the Pro with far more demanding games. Oh, and because I bought it for 60 quid on the X.
It’s marginal man, the X is better if you have a 144hz monitor supposedly but the PS4P has an overall higher frame rate than what the X can achieve.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, that's disappointing. But that's more or less to be expected with these mid-gen hardware upgrades nowadays.

Thanks mate. I'll check it out. :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: March 21st, 2019, 8:15 pm You could read about the framerate in the digital foundry article rather than watching a video if you want to avoid all spoilers, owly.
Hoot, Hoot, Hooray!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Suits wrote: March 21st, 2019, 8:13 pm It’s marginal man, the X is better if you have a 144hz monitor supposedly but the PS4P has an overall higher frame rate than what the X can achieve.
Hmm, my telly can do 120Hz VRR via Freesync on the X, so I wonder whether I'll get some benefits. Anyway, I won't know any better either way, unless I get it on both... :oops:

I certainly didn't struggle to enjoy 300hrs of Bloodborne with the dodgy framerate and frame pacing. Simpler times then, I didn't give two hoots about all this!

Still silly and doesn't make any sense why they would seemingly prioritise the Pro in this way.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

2004 Ninja Gaiden being mentioned right in the second paragraph. John Linneman keeping it real. This pleases me.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Hah yeah. I was all for a single player game from this lot and then i realised I'd be all alone. Forever.

Should be getting it soon but its gonna be a long, slow process. I'll no doubt be asking for advice in here
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've stupidly arranged to go out tonight to see some mates. Is it reasonable to cancel your social life to play a video game?

I mean, obviously it is so that's what's happening.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Both improved significantly after launch. BB was never totally one hundred percent sorted but those early days of 9fps in the flickering flames of Old Yharnam are the stuff of legend, and feel almost like a previous gen.

DS3 was patched to 60fps on the Pro! Massif central.

Ah bollocks, maybe I'll just get the PS4 copy on the way home from work. Technically, if I'm not going out and paying for booze and taxis and food, I'll probably be saving money!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Fucking hell this game is dope. Still getting the hang of it but I'm loving it already. :P

Stanshall wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:06 am Is it reasonable to cancel your social life to play a video game?
Without going as far as to suggest that this game is more fulfilling to interact with than cat vomit, I would still recommend giving it a go. If you can somehow fit it into your schedule, that is. ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yep, all good points especially the one about the Japanese audio.

The counter system is also really interesting. Whenever an enemy is preparing to do a powerful attack and the red symbol flashes above Wolf's head, you have to react to three different possibilities requiring three different maneuvers. Either he does a normal thrust to be parried, a sweep to be jumped over, or a grab to be dodged away from. Really cool stuff that always keeps you on your toes.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

It’s brilliant and I love it. From Software does it again.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've got my lavender candle set up, some nice strawberry syrup from Monin at my disposal, and virtual fencing sessions with a cohort of rustic half-naked men.

Fun Factor: MAX
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 12:25 am I unimaginatively tanked my way through Dark Souls III and never really embraced Bloodborne's regain system. In those games I just wanted to see the locations, to face off against the enemies, to enjoy the unusual vibe. I never had any interest in mastering the parry or riposte etc. The goal was simple, just get to the next checkpoint.

With Sekiro, however, I'm deliberately replaying encounters to try different strategies. At one point I had a mini-boss at death's door, but I didn't deliver the killing blow because I wanted to toy with him a bit more, to use him as a training tool. For me, someone that's very impatient and doesn't enjoy replaying difficult content, that's unprecedented.

My only complaint so far, and it's a very small one, is that the double-jump isn't animated very well and doesn't feel as precise as I'd like it to.
Action games can be tricky to get into, so I'm really glad to hear you're starting to take an interest in the mechanical experimentation side of things. That's exactly what I and others find so incredibly rewarding about this little gaming niche. Speaking of which, this game's parry system and quick time-to-kill actually reminds me of Revengeance in more ways than one.

I also agree with the jumping animations. It works most of the time, but it does look a bit awkward. Nowhere near as fluid and precise as in other action games. Maybe the Souls engine is to "blame"?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Phew, took me about 20 tries to beat the first proper mini boss, the general Naoromi guy. Interesting to have a game I really have to be into playing, can’t have a podcast on in the background at the same time.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Picking this up today, I’m thinking PS4 version over Xbox performance wise.

But my PS4-Pro sounds like a good blender with that fan 🥴.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 9:28 am
Suits wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 9:20 am Picking this up today, I’m thinking PS4 version over Xbox performance wise.

But my PS4-Pro sounds like a good blender with that fan 🥴.
Do you not use headphones? I literally cannot bring myself to play a game without them.
I kind of have an office for my gaming, so don’t really need them.

Plus I have a wild two year old, so keeping your ears free is handy 😄.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 11:46 am It's the last days of disco.
Disco never ends 😎.
Suits

Post by Suits »

This is good.

It’s my first proper sit down with a From Software game - so it hard as Hell but rewarding in a number of ways.

It takes me back to the satisfaction of simply succeeding, as opposed to doing things the optimal way.

My PS4 isn’t puffing as hard as I’d expected this far. Which is nice.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

This is now clicking in a big way. It's really really hard and unlike the Souls games there's no real way to avoid the inevitable or minimise the experience, you simply have to git gud or git your arse handed to you. It has a totally different rhythm, though, and when you start to properly balance attacks and deflects and manage to pressurise and dominate your opponents (especially the bosses), you see how deep the combat model is. You can play it purely reactively but that becomes very attritional and the chances are you'll make more mistakes than the AI so you are best to try to apply pressure and learn when to turn defence into attack.

I'm not as enamoured with the lore or aesthetic of the world, though it's very beautiful, but the core gameplay of combat and traversal absolutely bangs.