Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by chase210 »

I was playing sonic adventure DX. I was having a pretty ok time with Sonic/tails/knuckles and even Gamma. Then I started the Big and Amy sections and realised I now lack the patience to get through them.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Yeah, Sonic Adventure has aged about as well as Julian Assange...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ouch.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also like Assange it is accused of sex crimes and leaves shit-smeared walls wherever it goes.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Should I not play Sonic Adventure?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not if you have any other game as an option. Otherwise, go for it.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

duskvstweak wrote: April 13th, 2019, 4:14 pm ...
Should I not play Sonic Adventure?
Nope, its aged like mouldy cheese. Think I'll leave this one in 2004.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I've heard Adventure 2: Battle is still pretty playable. But that may also be nostalgia glasses from its fans. Tough to say. As far as I'm concerned, Sonic was on a lovely vacation in Bermuda between Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Generations.

Adventure may be a dumpster fire, but you have the likes of Sonic 06 and Sonic 4 that don't even have the excuse of trying to innovate in a bygone era - they were complete garbage from day one.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Adventure 2 isn’t great, but it’s definitely better. Did anyone ever enjoy playing as Big here? His camera is the worst, his movement in the overworld is the worst, he has no connection to the story really, and his gameplay style is so clunky and boring. I’m mystified as to why they put this in a sonic game.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 13th, 2019, 2:36 pm Also like Assange it is accused of sex crimes and leaves shit-smeared walls wherever it goes.
To be fair... that's optional DLC. You don't need to purchase that!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ive got so many games on the go that Sekiro  has naturally fell out of my mind. Its a good game but not one im itching to get back to. Dangerous Driving is good for a race or two at a time, Labo VR is fun but Nuts and Bolts and Sea of thieves both have my attention
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Played the first couple of stages of Lego Marvel Superheroes with Ellis, who's almost four, this morning. Its brilliant! I've not played a Lego game since Batman 2, but they've come on a long way! Looks gorgeous, interesting gameplay and genuinely amusing. And it was under a tenner and will last us ages. Really good game!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Lego Marvel Superheroes (2013) only came out a year after Lego Batman 2 in fact (2012).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh really?

:lol:

Well now I feel foolish, haha.

EDIT: No hang on, it was the first Lego Batman game I played on PS3, not the second one. Redeemed!!

:lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Still, I can't believe that LMSH is getting on for six years old either!
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

Trying to play Nioh right now, I say trying as I'm struggling a little bit.I love the look and feel on the whole but toggling stance mid fight can be a pain as is the 'Ki pulse' mechanic - I find myself forgetting as I'm too engaged in the combat . I have a feeling that this will all come together with practice. Overall though I am enjoying this and can see the appeal, I'll just have to resist the temptation to pick up Sekiro for now 😉
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Much further into Vampyr now, and I gotta say... Even though I'm not super super into the vampire subject matters, in terms of a total package, I think it's the best game of its kind made to date. Mass Effect has a more interesting setting, I feel, but in terms of the actual narrative and RPG mechanics... Vampyr is a big step forward.

Like, a lot of games *claim* you can play it however you want - it normally comes down to good route and bad route. Fallout New Vegas is a rare exception. In Vampyr, choices matter, and they matter in a big way. Your dialogue with one character may lead them into turning into a viscous monster, but allowing them to turn and killing them ultimately saves other lives down the road. You can play doctor and make sure everyone is healthy all the time, but this makes takes some effort and patience. You can play it as a viscous night predator and kill everyone, but you will lose out on story, sidequests, items and other perks in exchange for a raw XP boost. It's got so many moving parts that you really can play it however you please. Predicting your result accurately, that may be a challenge... But you're always given chances to recover if you choose to take them. It's really quite ingenious, and I hope more games are built on this framework in the future.

Definitely one of the best titles of 2018.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

fieldy wrote: April 15th, 2019, 10:01 am Trying to play Nioh right now, I say trying as I'm struggling a little bit.I love the look and feel on the whole but toggling stance mid fight can be a pain as is the 'Ki pulse' mechanic - I find myself forgetting as I'm too engaged in the combat . I have a feeling that this will all come together with practice. Overall though I am enjoying this and can see the appeal, I'll just have to resist the temptation to pick up Sekiro for now 😉
That "ki pulse" and stamina mechanic was a pain for me, as well. I didn't have experience with Dark Souls or the like, but in the end, I had a great time with the game. I struggled for a long time with switching stances and remembering to "pulse" in the heat of battle, but it get's better with time. It find the whole means of doing so to be a bit sloppy, but forgivable considering the whole package.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Phew.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Alex79uk wrote: April 14th, 2019, 2:56 pm Played the first couple of stages of Lego Marvel Superheroes with Ellis, who's almost four, this morning. Its brilliant! I've not played a Lego game since Batman 2, but they've come on a long way! Looks gorgeous, interesting gameplay and genuinely amusing. And it was under a tenner and will last us ages. Really good game!
If you are liking LMSH, can I recommend Lego Marvel Avengers? Essentially does a Machete retell of the first two MCU films which can be a little jarring but it keeps the same hub area as the first (updated a little of course) and most importantly the flight mechanics are much improved.

In other news, in trying to find something a little less grimdark than my current fare (RE2, Division 2, Destiny 2)I powered up Death Squared. I'm not certain that universe is any less grimdark to be fair but in practice it's a puzzle game with an Aperture Science vibe and I'm liking it so far - other than I have a habit of forgetting which thumb controls which of my AI cubes leading to some ridiculous silly deaths.

I'm also noticing a reoccurring theme in these games having the number 2 in the title ... :shock: :| Is the cure for sequelitis to play the third game in the series or the first ... :?: