The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Scrustle »

Sony just released a bunch of info about the next Playstation. It supports ray tracing, can run 8K, has a super fast SSD, backwards compatibility, and reads discs as well.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-s ... n-console/

I expect some of that stuff is only technically correct, or will change somewhat by release. Like perhaps the 8K thing means that it can technically support that video signal, but no games are meant to run at that resolution. What they're saying about the SSD sounds pretty far-fetched too, but any SSD included as standard would be pretty great anyway.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I don't find the claims about the SSD to be that far-fetched, the technology has come a really long way in the last couple of years, and the prices have come down dramatically as well.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

On a recent Giantbomb podcast they were suggesting ray tracing would be nigh on impossible for the next gen of consoles. Well then.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Real time ray tracing? I’ll believe it when I see it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I assume the ray tracing will be scaled back and not used in a major way. Like to just make reflections a bit better. Which I like the sound of, if it means we can move past screen space reflections and not have big holes in the visual effect. The technology is improving quite quickly as well. Maybe some basic form of it will be able to get working on 30fps games by the time this thing comes out, or maybe a few years after launch when developers have worked things out more.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: April 16th, 2019, 4:55 pm Real time ray tracing? I’ll believe it when I see it.
I snorted at that claim also.

Mind, this console is what, a year away at best and will likely be close to £500 - so who know how the hardware landscape will be by then.

Still 😤.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Full-fledged backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs would be amazing and what I'm hoping for the most. I've always wanted a universal legacy system and since Microsoft has already been moving in that direction with their recent system updates, Sony might as well go the extra mile on that front. Also, my fat asthmatic PS3 is getting on in years and I would love to be able to retire it for good.

Faster loading times are always a plus. A lot of recent PS4 games are taking a while to load, especially on the base console.

Curious about the controller and whether we'll get a revamped DS4 or a true DS5, re-designed from the ground up.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm most interested in the BC so I can get Psyvariar 2 and stuff like that. Sounds quite promising, overall, though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: April 16th, 2019, 6:20 pm I'm most interested in the BC so I can get Psyvariar 2 and stuff like that. Sounds quite promising, overall, though.
I’m kind of with you on this, as far as what I’m eager for the most.

I have a fair amount of PS1 & PS2 disc’s to hand so would adore a box that would play everything Sony decently well.
Suits

Post by Suits »

clippa wrote: April 16th, 2019, 6:58 pm I'd imagine they just mean backwards compatible with the ps4 rather than the earlier playstations.
Yes, that’s the direct quote that Cerny says in the interview, although it has been previously alluded that a new system would potentially be able to accept all versions of PlayStation discs.

How realistic this is, I don’t know 😄.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Even if nobody actually uses BC, it seems to have a significant word of mouth/goodwill factor. I got Gu Wang on the XB1X but the only thing I actually ever play on BC is Sensi.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I have to say, Sensi still plays like a bloody dream. Pure feel. Gu Wang is not my fave, but I appreciate it's doing something different.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sensible Soccer is rad.

Nothing feels like it or has such a rampant game music.

It pretty much ruled the roost for us until the Evolution versions of ISS came out.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

PS1 and PS2 emulation wouldn't be that difficult, PCs far less powerful than they're claiming the PS5 is can handle them with no issues. From what I understand, the PS3's unique processor would make it pretty hard to emulate if they wanted to go that route though. It kinda seems like they're going all-out on the hardware, so maybe they want to do so with other aspects like full backwards compatibility as well.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Considering how half-committed I am to the current generation of hardware, I think the next will be where I either bow out completely, or at least take a break from it.

More powerful hardware has really not lead to better games. If anything, judging by the bloat in AAA titles, like they're not really sure what to do with all that power.

The Switch is the least powerful, yet there's games. The PS5, 6, 7, etc can have all the power it wants, but eh... games first.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: April 16th, 2019, 11:33 pm More powerful hardware has really not lead to better games. If anything, judging by the bloat in AAA titles, like they're not really sure what to do with all that power.

The Switch is the least powerful, yet there's games. The PS5, 6, 7, etc can have all the power it wants, but eh... games first.
I don't know if I agree that any bloat within the current generation can necessarily be levelled at Sony with the likes of the two Uncharted titles, God of War, Spider-man, Astrobot, Horizon Zero Dawn and Dreams being amongst their first-party output this generation. If anything it's coming from the likes of publishers like EA.

As for the games, irrespective of which generation of PlayStation they appear on, we have the likes of The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and the inevitable sequels to Horizon and God of War to look forward to in the not-to-distant future.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

JaySevenZero wrote: April 17th, 2019, 8:18 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: April 16th, 2019, 11:33 pm More powerful hardware has really not lead to better games. If anything, judging by the bloat in AAA titles, like they're not really sure what to do with all that power.

I don't know if I agree that any bloat within the current generation can necessarily be levelled at Sony with the likes of the two Uncharted titles, God of War, Spider-man, Astrobot, Horizon Zero Dawn and Dreams being amongst their first-party output this generation. If anything it's coming from the likes of publishers like EA.

As for the games, irrespective of which generation of PlayStation they appear on, we have the likes of The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and the inevitable sequels to Horizon and God of War to look forward to in the not-to-distant future.
That is good point... I forgot about Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding... okay, I may need to modify my opinion somewhat, because those are two games on my radar!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sony have put up a superb offering of first party things over the last couple of years. Superb.

Seeing God of War in resolution mode certainly increased my enjoyment of that game.

So going off what MS are potentially putting together with their massive new studio focus and what the Sony side of things will do with follow ups - then I’m all for new hardware taking those experiences to he next level.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I definitely won't be buying a PS5 at launch, I'm still fighting through a massive PS4 backlog. And frankly, I feel kind of cheated that the PS4 Pro even exists... Like, my PS4 was about to shit the bed, so upgrading seemed like a no-brainer. But knowing the PS4 Pro was a substantial price difference for a marginal boost in performance... I feel like the PS5 is going to be more of the same. Woo-freaking-hoo, it has an SSD. Good job lads, the Pro should have had one. How long until the PS5 Pro comes out? A year? I'm not terribly optimistic this thing will sell itself to me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote: April 16th, 2019, 7:31 pm I have to say, Sensi still plays like a bloody dream. Pure feel. Gu Wang is not my fave, but I appreciate it's doing something different.
Sensi is still amazing, yeah. I never got on with the Xbox 360 remake, but the Megadrive version still plays exceptionally well.