Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by ratsoalbion »

😆
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Haha Alex you crack me up!
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Alex79uk wrote: March 13th, 2019, 8:57 pm Not sure if you were joking but there isn't a XIII-2 show planned, same for X-2.
I honestly thought there was going to be a XIII-2 show but sadly you are right, there isn't one scheduled. Not to worry. At least the XIII show is coming soon. I quite enjoyed them both (although I did skip all the cut scenes so maybe that helped a bit).

No X-2 show, not really bothered by that to be honest although some people really did like the game.

There are so many FF games out there that just covering the main entries is probably more than enough for the team.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That’s it, something had to give. However Leah is already lobbying for a future series of FF spinoff podcasts.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Brothers In Arms series?

I think the series eventually ended up going off the rails, but I really liked the original Road to Hill 30 on Xbox. I much preferred its relatively sedate and restrained take on the WWII shooter genre over the likes of Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, which always seemed so over the top and bombastic, and never felt remotely realistic as you always felt like you were playing a one man army. BiA struck a good balance between fun and realism, with more emphasis on using tactics and simple squad mechanics. Imo FPS shooters tend to place too much emphasis on empowering the player when I think they could do more interesting things when making the player feel vulnerable.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Road to Hill 30 is already on the list. Bear in mind it’s taken us seven years to do one Medal of Honor and one Call of Duty though...
😆
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

CoD 4: Modern Warfare
South Park The Stick Of Truth
The Cave
Grand Theft Auto (PS1)
XIII

(I imagine they're all already on the never ending list!)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Unsurprisingly those are indeed already on there.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Quite a long thread and I'm new here so sorry if I suggest things that have been mentioned a million times.

I'd really like to hear you guys discuss the original Red Faction on PS2. I think this game gets a bit overlooked, it had an interesting story that felt really different from most console shooters at the time and the Geo-Mod tech was completely unique, I mean I think it was, it blew my mind back then either way.

The other game I'd like to see on there would be Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect because they were awesome!

I would also say Sam & Max or Day of The Tentacle but I'm sure they've already come up many times.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All the above already on the list.
👍🏻
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Caligulas Horse wrote: March 29th, 2019, 3:36 pm Quite a long thread and I'm new here so sorry if I suggest things that have been mentioned a million times.

I'd really like to hear you guys discuss the original Red Faction on PS2. I think this game gets a bit overlooked, it had an interesting story that felt really different from most console shooters at the time and the Geo-Mod tech was completely unique, I mean I think it was, it blew my mind back then either way.

The other game I'd like to see on there would be Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect because they were awesome!

I would also say Sam & Max or Day of The Tentacle but I'm sure they've already come up many times.
All excellent excellent suggestions!
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom battle could be an interesting to descus with the merging of two franchises and how successful if at all it manages to pull it off and the fact it’s a non Nintendo Mario game
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s already on the big list.
👍🏻
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

After listening to the Super Ghouls 'n Ghost podcast, one game came to mind and it hasn't been mentioned in this topic. Volgarr the Viking. It is definitely inspired by it with its controls and to get the good ending you have to 1CC it but it presents a very fair challenge.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Volgarr does indeed share some things in common with GnG, it’s actually an almost 1:1 clone of a different coin-op, Taito’s Rastan:

Rastan arrived after the original Ghosts ‘n Goblins so it may very well have taken some inspiration. Either way, both games are on the list for a potential 2 in 1 podcast.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sim City on the SNES. Probably still the best version of that game, it's just so good.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: April 16th, 2019, 8:35 am Sim City on the SNES. Probably still the best version of that game, it's just so good.
This.

I love that game, the music, the seasonal graphics the massive grant cheat, Bowser abs the scenarios.

Very fond memories.

Awful to go back to.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All the Sim City games are on the list, and whether we did a show on the series or a series of shows, of course the SNES version would be part of the conversation.
Bullus

Post by Bullus »

Although I can't imagine these would be too popular with the team I wonder if anyone has nominated any of the total war games?

I both loved and hated Medieval Total War 2 - sunk what felt like weeks into it. Starting over more times than I care to admit. When I finally beat the preset conditions I uninstalled the game and gave it away.

Brilliant and infuriating.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have a friend who is a big fan, but not sure that anyone among the podcast crew plays this series - I will add the rest of them (three titles already down) to the spreadsheet to find out though!