Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

After managing to avoid all reviews, media, opinion pieces, etc... I spend my day of work to go and see Us.

Just as I would hate it if someone ruined a movie-going experience for me, I'm going to respect everyone and sum it up vaguely:

1. In a nutshell, if you liked Get Out, you're going to like this.
2. Knowing that Jordan Peele has got the Twilight Zone gig, that Twilight Zone vibe runs through this movie, and quite a bit through Get Out too, in retrospect. It's a vibe that Peele has a ridiculous talent for too, so thats a good thing.
3. I don't want to overhype the movie. I thought I was great and I really, really liked it, but as most movie-going experiences, try and check your expectations at the door, and try to avoid reviews or anything leading up to it.

There. Super vague!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 10:22 am So Chet and Jon are back!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scnB4emNg2s

:P
Ho. Ly. Shit!

One off or...? Can't wait to listen! This has made my day! And I've been to the zoo!!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I watched Love, Death and Robots and although it was more miss than hit for me (some ended with me wondering what the point was) some of them I would love to have an entire series based around (The Farm and the 3 robots).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: March 29th, 2019, 6:32 pm
DomsBeard wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 10:22 am So Chet and Jon are back!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scnB4emNg2s

:P
Ho. Ly. Shit!

One off or...? Can't wait to listen! This has made my day! And I've been to the zoo!!
One off I believe. It was totally worth it for Chet saying what I have been thinking about Apex Legends :)

Oh and more love for Yakuza
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I saw Shazam last weekend. It was...fine. Nothing horribly wrong with it, just a bit inconsistent. I though Aquaman and Wonder Woman had a strong sense of self, but Shazam goes back and forth between tones. If you're interested, you should see it, for sure.
I think one issue I had is I liked the movie more when Zachari Levi was onscreen, but, by nature of the character, he can't be too much.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Been watching the new Netflix exclusive Attenborough series, Our Planet with the kids. Shot in 4k HDR it looks incredible. Its made by most of the old Planet Earth team, so it's right up there with the best of the BBC series.

There was a big gorilla with a baby riding piggyback, and Ellis (3) said 'haha dad, look its like Donkey Kong' (when Diddy rides his back).

:lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I just watched Vice in my local theater. Nobody else showed up and it was just me and the projectionist, which was nice.

I don't think I've ever seen such a calculated and poignant character assassination, of a living person no less. Cuts like a knife but is also surprisingly funny at times. Performances are fantastic all across the board. The movie runs into the same pacing issues that most biopics do, but I'm more than willing to look past them given how ruthless and tragically entertaining it all is.
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

Finished up Peaky Blinders and around the same time knocked out Love, Death and Robots in a few evenings. That was over a month ago though and I feel like I haven't watched anything worthwhile since.

I've been having a hard time getting away from Youtube lately. I've been checking out some Fact Fiend with Karl Smallwood and an absolutely embarrassing amount of videos about guns.

Truth be told I'm hungry for something more cinematic, I loved Love Death and Robots (Even if I can't solidly recommend most of it or even say I liked most of it, I'm just so glad they made it. Its very existence makes me grin), and each episode of Game of Thrones whets my appetite for more.

Trouble is Netflix seems to exclusively have exclusives and new shows which are all a commitment. Even if a show is good, it doesn't mean I'm looking to get "hooked." I've been starving for unique action for such a long time I feel like I can't find it anywhere.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do you have Amazon Prime? Tried American Gods?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I watched Spiderverse last night. I've never seen a film like it, absolutely jaw dropping. I don't know much about this side of Spiderman but I definitely enjoyed it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm almost finished with Better Call Saul and need my next show to watch. I have tons on my watchlist I've been meaning to get through for years, so, which should I go for first?

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Black Sails
Preacher (love the comic, only seen a couple of the series)
American Gods (same as above, but replace comic with book)
Deadwood
Game Of Thrones (has never interested me, but so many people can't be so wrong!?)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Been watching through the latest live action series of The Tick and it’s pretty good. I only have vague memories of the cartoon show back in the day, but I like the tone this one sets. Mostly.

Sometimes it doesn’t quite know what it wants to be and has a tonal shift to the serious, which I think it would be better without. And sometimes I like the concepts (such as a superhero getting depressed because of negative comments on social media) but the execution doesn’t quite land.

The Tick works best when it’s leaning into the absurdity. Taking the logical conclusions of superheroes and super villain archetypes and putting them in the real world. It doesn’t always hit the mark, but it’s a pretty entertaining watch.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: April 27th, 2019, 12:53 pm I'm almost finished with Better Call Saul and need my next show to watch. I have tons on my watchlist I've been meaning to get through for years, so, which should I go for first?

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Black Sails
Preacher (love the comic, only seen a couple of the series)
American Gods (same as above, but replace comic with book)
Deadwood
Game Of Thrones (has never interested me, but so many people can't be so wrong!?)
That’s some list!

Game of Thrones would be a good place to start what with all the previous episodes on demand at the moment if you’re a sky customer. Depending on your viewing habits you could even catch up in time for the finale. I’d say if you have sky you’ll save yourself a pretty penny if you watch them now as they aren’t on Netflix or Prime. Also it is a series that has so many shocking moments and twists that it could be spoiled very easily which can’t be said about the others as much. It’s also on the tip of everyone’s tongues. Watch it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I think we're going to start GoT tonight. To be honest, I got that sick of people telling me 'oh you'd love it', based on what I don't know, that I started actively refusing to watch it. It doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, but we're going to try it!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Sopranos is my favourite
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

dezm0nd wrote: April 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm The Sopranos is my favourite
Probably mine too but less likely to get water cooler spoilers for Sopranos than GoT ;)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Hey, are you looking for a movie to bond with your kids, but you've already watched all the Marvel movies many time over? Well pull out the old video player, ask Siri to pull up Alexa, drag your icon to the select menu, press initiate, jack into the matrix, and watch The Eyes of my Mother.

Now, granted, this is a horror movie, but at least when 1 am ticks over on the bedside table alarm, you and your children can bond over the nightmares you've just experienced! :D

To pull a quote from the AV Club:Movies designed to make audiences feel really bad rarely look so good.

Indeed, it is a beautifully shot movie, with brilliant sound design. And at a trim 76 minutes it is very deliberately paced, and wastes no time.

If your looking for a horror movie to traumatise you, or your family, or your date, make it this one. They will hate you.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just started season two of Game Of Thrones.

I am reluctantly loving it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

duskvstweak wrote: May 12th, 2019, 1:27 am I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.
Quick question. Is it age appropriate for younger kids? I find the PG certificate is a minefield as you can get things like Night at the Museum and Jaws rated the same. Unless I’ve seen the film I can’t really judge it. Could be light peril, a few swears or even some sexy moments. Although saying that there are some absolutely terrifying films rated U.

No pressure if you’re not sure. The likelihood of me getting to the cinema is slim at best but my 4 year old is getting into Pokémon and is keen.