Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Shmups

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Can you return unused portions of the sandwich for a refund? And are the sandwiches I'm putting into superannuation going to be the same sandwiches I eat at retirement age?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The game seems a lot of fun. Got to the last boss before dying, but reading up it's more about the score than the challenge.

I rate it bacon and brown sauce out of ten.

On crusty bread.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That's actually a really good idea, cheers. I've got a load of Neo Geo games with caravan mode, for starters.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I started Dariusburst on PSP last night, which seems a lot of fun. Japanese release. Side scrolling, with massive robot fish bosses.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I bought Ghost Blade.

I know it's not exactly top-shelf material, but the screenshots look sweet and I'm sure it'll bridge the gap until I can get into that sweet Danmaku Unlimited 3 action on Switch.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Danmaku... Do I need that? I hadn't seen too much chatter here about it so wasn't sure if it was "god tier" or not :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 11:41 am Danmaku... Do I need that? I hadn't seen too much chatter here about it so wasn't sure if it was "god tier" or not :D
Well, Stan swears by it:
Stanshall wrote: September 10th, 2018, 9:43 pm Danmaku Unlimited 3. Having started with this as my entry to the doujin danmaku world, I now realise exactly how spoiled I was. Both in terms of feel, flash and design, this is a masterpiece of itself kind and streets ahead of most indie bullet hell fodder. I've got back into it as I'm trying for a 1cc and it's just endlessly gorgeous, beautifully challenging, stimulating, relaxing, thrilling, overwhelming. It's a wonderfully balanced shmup, accessible to all but damn difficult to master - and I'm a long way off that. Serious recommendation and the best grazing shmup I've ever played. The colour palette, while repetitive, is one of the most perfect in the entire shmup genre.
I think it might be playable, at the very least. :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ah cheers! I must have missed that. It's on my watchlist for a price drop (a mate of mine for it for around £4 at some point I think).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I was probably particularly excited that day but Danmaku Unlimited 3 is a cracking little game. The best 'grazing shmup' I've played is now comfortably Psyvariar Delta but that's Japanese eShop/PSN only, so that's that if you're not keen on going that route.

DU3 looks great, very clear, lots of flashy visual feedback and you never feel you've died because of the visuals or anything. The soundtrack is excellent, lots of hair metal riffs and sparkly ambient synth passages before the drums start clattering again.

It's also pretty accessible. I still haven't got a 1CC (except on Easy) but that's largely a lack of application than any balance issues. It's a very fair game with some interesting and mind bending patterns, at least times. Very very solid and I'd say in the top five shmups on the system.
___

Nobody:

Me: And my top five shmups on the Nintendo Switch are...

Rolling Gunner
Psyvariar Delta
Ikaruga
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Gunbird 2
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I will get Exceed 3rd Jade Penetrate Black Package if/when it comes to console. The name sounds like a bad Google Translate job on something you might order to a PO Box. I think I quite like the grazing stuff so I'd defo be interested in seeing what else is out there of that ilk.

On another note, I finally 1CC'd Mushihimesama Futari on the 360 so I'm pretty chuffed about that.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having shamefully claimed a 1CC on Futari, I did some research on the Arrange Mode to find that it's got basically nothing on the 1.5 Mode I'd previously been playing. To be totally honest, I'd hardly played past the first two stages because I'd spent my time doing my usual shtick of mental repetition rather than getting anywhere. Anyway, that's still on my plate and I've switched back to 1.5. Absolutely amazing game. Stage 4 boss is my actual limit at the moment.

Otherwise, I've been hammering Konami Arcade Classics and specifically Life Force and Nemesis which I've never played before. I definitely prefer the bullet hell stuff but I've been really enjoying getting into this era of shmups. Very tough and I feel like a death equals a restart but very satisfying learning the patterns and keeping hold of all your Options and stuff. I absolutely love the vocal samples, as well. FIRE FIRE FIRE. I've also ordered the Darius Cozmic Collection off the back of it because I've never really played the Darius games and they look right up my street at the mo. I really do wish I'd got into this genre twenty years ago...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Neko Navy is fucking tough! Even easy mode is having my life. Don’t think I can hold a candle to you boys yet but I’ll keep at it.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Actually so is Sky Force. Can’t beat level 1. Hmm. I’m probably too pissed to play shmups right now :D
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

As someone who basically never bombs in any shmup, it will took a while for Neko Navy to click but it's basically all about well timed bombs and building up your meter again. That was a sea change when I realised how it wanted me to play. Cracking little game and cheers to clippa for heads up.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Beat level one of Sky Force. But obviously the game has sussed I’m too shit to progress to level 2 so it’s holding me back, think I’m meant to earn medals and do ship upgrades. I prefer the in-game way of handling this shit with power ups instantly applying etc, not sure Sky Force is for me but aye, too many beers down the line to be calling this.

Neko Navy I’ll definitely persist and make no apologies for recommending it, I really like what I’ve played so far - if I’d clocked it pretty much first go I wouldn’t have been impressed but it’s clearly a very good shmup and I can see it being one I chip away at on a straight head. It’s shown me how easy Overdriven was to be honest, I need hairs on my chest and it’s games like this that will put them there. Hopefully. Art style, music, graphically things don’t clash and I can tell my failings are my fault not the games’ which is critical. I got to the back end of the hospital level so far.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

The bombs thing I’ll remember that. Even after 6 cans of Elvis Juice. Cheers
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hang on you only have to worry about the pink dot? Jesus. That could change everything
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

clippa wrote: May 5th, 2019, 11:30 pm
More like 17! Did the speedrun one just there

YESSS! Nice one :lol:

clippa wrote: May 5th, 2019, 11:44 pm Don't start taking something else to help you concentrate, for gods sake, I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly and that didn't end well.
Did you see the story during the week about people microdosing LSD and mushrooms as a health thing? :lol: Not suggesting that here of course...
hazeredmist wrote: May 6th, 2019, 12:11 am Hang on you only have to worry about the pink dot? Jesus. That could change everything
Same thing got me in Black Bird.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha genuine belly laugh.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Started playing a couple of Vita shmups, which I somehow own on my account but have no recollection of buying (not PS Plus).

Aqua Kitty DX is pretty cool, and reminds me a lot of Resogun which is no bad thing, although at the moment the levels feel a bit too sparse, I'm only four or so in though. Nice style.

Flying Hamster HD feels like a very low budget flash-game or something, jazzed up for a Vita release. Side scrolling kinda Parodius style gameplay. It's actually alright, a decent challenge and plays nicely enough. I doubt I'll plough too much time into it though.