Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist » May 9th, 2019, 11:59 am

Alex79uk wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 11:32 am
I've played a bit of Overdriven Reloaded. I don't really get it. Playing story mode you seem to have infinite lives? Also I'm not sure I know the point of changing colour of your bullets. I get that there are gems to change colour when you shoot them, but what's the point? Whatever colour you are, they all change to that colour and vanish. Am I missing something? What's the deal with not getting any kind of game over when you die, you just carry on literally from where you were. I'm sure there's a good game in there and I'm not understanding it properly!
Story mode is playing through a collection of stages, not a traditional Arcade mode where you lose your credits and end up back at the start. There is an Arcade mode if that's what you're after. There are 10 stages, all with bosses.

The colour changing stuff took me a while to suss - you need to match 3 to make them disappear. They will only do this when you successfully match 3 of the same colour and it is only on certain parts of stages (it's probably underused to be honest). There is usually a benefit when doing it that you open up a different route to collect an alien fragment, which becomes important later to progress through the story as some stages have a number of fragments unlocked condition rather than just completing the previous stage. Try the puzzle mode to get a better understanding of the colour changing stuff. Other than that though there is no effect on things from changing your colour.

It's not the best game in the world, it's clearly made on a budget and some ideas aren't fleshed out fully but it runs beautifully and there is a lot of fun in there to be had.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Suits wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 6:52 pm
I’ve really bonded with Sky Force Reloaded on the Switch , it plays great in your hands as well as on the big TV.

Would be cool to start comparing my scores against someone :lol: .
I bought it! :P I'll have to dive into it properly later today.

Although... We probably won't be able to compare scores since we are on different platforms... :(

clippa

Post by clippa » May 9th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Michiel K wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 8:26 pm
It's got some good old-timey shooting games on it, as well!
Yeah, I loved scramble on there and fortress of narzod, web warp, berserk. Lots of good stuff! Are you babysitting it until his wifes in a less stabby mood, or is it yours now? That's very generous, even if he was fearing for his life.
KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:59 am
I don't think our leaderboards are compatible, unfortunately. I had a look at the PS4 top scores and they're all 100 times higher. Must be using a different scoring system.
Oh, that's weird, the game just rounds up or down your score. Here's some shots from an earlier run I've got on youtube.
You can see on the local scoreboard, all the scores end with 00.

They just hack off the last 2 digits on the steam leaderboard rather than turning them into zero's.
Very confusing.
So I suppose the numbers on the leaderboard are "in hundreds". Is that right? I'm shite at maths.

So, I suppose my score is "2,548,930,400"

If it's feeling a bit loose, one of the ships will be slower than all the others, have you tried them all?

My advice would be to get a bit further up the screen and kill enemies before they get a chance to shoot, be brave now so your future self doesn't have to be braver.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 9th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I mean, that's just sound advice.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 11:59 am
Story mode is playing through a collection of stages, not a traditional Arcade mode where you lose your credits and end up back at the start. There is an Arcade mode if that's what you're after. There are 10 stages, all with bosses
Hmm OK thanks, it still seems a little odd that story mode poses no challenge. I mean literally, you're invincible. Just seems weird. It's not like there is actually a 'story' either.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm

clippa wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:36 pm
They just hack off the last 2 digits on the steam leaderboard rather than turning them into zero's.
So, I suppose my score is "2,548,930,400"
Yes, that's what I suspected as well. Very impressive, btw! That would put you at #1 of the PC leaderboards and #2 on PS4. Don't think I'll be beating that, but I'll give it a shot! :P

clippa wrote:
If it's feeling a bit loose, one of the ships will be slower than all the others, have you tried them all?

My advice would be to get a bit further up the screen and kill enemies before they get a chance to shoot, be brave now so your future self doesn't have to be braver.
Yes, obviously I've tried them all. I think the issue is that I want to use the green one (Milan) for its powerful straight shot, but it also appears to be the fastest one from what I can tell, which gets me in a lot of trouble. I'll keep experimenting with the others to see if I can alleviate the issue somehow.

And yeah, I keep trying to do that but I get overwhelmed and killed from off-screen sooner or later. So easier said than done in my case, but good advice regardless.

EDIT: One other thing worth mentioning is that the game doesn't appear to have any leaderboards for the individual stages, and that the "Score Attack" mode is basically a revamped mix of the first two stages put together. Very strange.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Astebreed and Steredenn both in the current eShop sales. The former is better, flashy with some unusually complex but fun controls. Pretty solid production values for an indie. The latter is a brick hard roguelike thing with minimal progression and not much variety but it's also well made.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm
I bought it! :P I'll have to dive into it properly later today.

Although... We probably won't be able to compare scores since we are on different platforms... :(
Cool.

It really serves me well in terms of difficulty and structure.

Not played it for a week now but it good to know it's there when I fancy some of it again and I feel I can just pick it back up as it's fairly straight forward and you'll always getting stronger/progressing.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 9th, 2019, 6:58 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm
Yes, obviously I've tried them all.
Haha, sorry, I honestly don't mean to be patronising. Sometimes people miss little things like that.
I remember getting into ARPGs and when i discovered that you could hold shift to attack while standing still, it was a huge "Aaaaaaah!" moment for me and when someone was asking for tips on a forum, that's the first thing that popped into my head and he was like "Yes, mate, that's exactly what I was looking for! I thought I was doing something wrong"
KSubzero1000 wrote:
I think the issue is that I want to use the green one (Milan) for its powerful straight shot, but it also appears to be the fastest one from what I can tell, which gets me in a lot of trouble.
Yeah, you find that often in shmups, the "pro" ship will have the fastest speed and be the hardest to control, the shot won't cover much area so you'll have to shift around a lot more, but the gun will be really powerful.

I'm afraid you have to forgo the more powerful shot and stick with the slowest ship when you're starting out, or I did anyway, I can use the big boy ships in some games but sometimes they're just too fast.

They were having a score competition on the shmups subreddit a while back and we were playing "Blade Buster", some homebrew NES caravan game and I quickly realised that if you crank the speed of your ship right up, you score a lot more because you can get around the screen a lot faster and hoover up all the bonuses. Christ, my heart was in my mouth all the time playing that game, it was like sitting on a bucking bronco and just hanging on for dear life! It was a score competition though, so you had to go all out. It was much more fun playing on the medium speed, it didn't make me so tense and anxious but it had to be done.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
That would put you at ... #2 on PS4.
That's upsetting. Can you write the score down the next time you're on?
It's very rare that I'm at the top. The sooper dooper players scoff at this game and don't even bother so it gives us lanky dwarves a chance to bask in the sun.
Stanshall wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm
Steredenn
Steredenn has the most fun weapon I've ever used in a shmup, that electric thor hammer thing, you chuck it and it sticks into enemies dealing damage all the time it's in there and then flys back to you like a boomerang, really satisfying. I always pick that up when I see it.
Stanshall wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm
Astebreed
I think we've had a natter about that before. Aye, the complex controls and constant spectacle camera arsery made me bounce off it. I made my mind up pretty early on and stubbornly refused to give it any more time, one of my less endearing character traits. It seems very well regarded by most. Glad to managed to get into it, maybe I should try again and use a pad this time.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 9th, 2019, 9:04 pm

clippa wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm
Can you write the score down the next time you're on?
Of course, there you go:

GLOBAL SCORE ATTACK

#1: 2,870,762,900 - Combo: 880 - Ship: Ghost
#2: 2,390,565,800 - Combo: 820 - Ship: Ghost
#3: 2,358,269,200 - Combo: 832 - Ship: Ghost

clippa

Post by clippa » May 9th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Thanks, man!
It's on! It's on! Footballs coming home.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » May 10th, 2019, 5:40 am

clippa wrote:
Yeah, I loved scramble on there and fortress of narzod, web warp, berserk. Lots of good stuff! Are you babysitting it until his wifes in a less stabby mood, or is it yours now? That's very generous, even if he was fearing for his life.
Oh, it was definitely a gift! Built up a decent collection of cartridges for it in the 9 years that have passed since. So Narzod is good too, you say? Isn't that the one with the ricocheting bullets?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 10th, 2019, 7:03 am

Alex79uk wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm
hazeredmist wrote:
Story mode is playing through a collection of stages, not a traditional Arcade mode where you lose your credits and end up back at the start. There is an Arcade mode if that's what you're after. There are 10 stages, all with bosses
Hmm OK thanks, it still seems a little odd that story mode poses no challenge. I mean literally, you're invincible. Just seems weird. It's not like there is actually a 'story' either.
I don't think that's the case, I didn't have that experience at all - maybe you're just very good at it :D There is a story, it's just not a big epic fleshed out drama. If it ain't for you you've only lost 89p at least.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 10th, 2019, 7:05 am

clippa wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Thanks, man!
It's on! It's on! Footballs coming home.
Ah, memories of the 'Seeds at South Beach last year. Still had hope in our hearts. Before getting sparked out by Croatia.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 10th, 2019, 7:13 am

hazeredmist wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:03 am
Alex79uk wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm
hazeredmist wrote:
I don't think that's the case, I didn't have that experience at all - maybe you're just very good at it :D There is a story, it's just not a big epic fleshed out drama. If it ain't for you you've only lost 89p at least.
That'll be it, haha. :lol:

Nah I'm enjoying the shooting enough!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 11th, 2019, 6:41 pm

I JTagged my 360 so I could play the region locked Japanese stuff because I don't fancy having a separate Japanese console under the telly for three imported games. It's also a lot more convenient than swapping discs constantly, I must be honest.

Anyway, I got the Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label version and I've been giving it a good whirl. It's basically a more spectacular, flashy version with massively increased scoring, combos rocketing into five figures, obscene bullet cancelling and dazzling medal showers. It's a real shame that they delisted it on the EU marketplace because it takes an already amazing game into seventh gear or something. I dropped DFK a bit when I got Futari but I'm really glad to know that this is also an option when I do commit more time to it.

I've also been playing Dodonpachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra which is so great to have because my only other option for DOJ is to emulate it with a Fire Stick or pop out to Arcade Club. The latter is obviously a brilliant option but I can't play in my pants there, even on the 21+ floor. It's still a masterful game and I feel excited to play it every time that squiggly synth kicks in at the start of stage one. I'm looking forward to unlocking X Mode and the various extra bits and bobs on the disc.

Also great to properly play Mushihimesama HD rather than on my laptop which feels like it's been dug up from Pet Semetary whenever I try to boot it. I saw some stuff about how these two Cave ports have crap input lag but they're plenty good enough for my level, to be honest. It's kind of funny going back to the first Mushi game after playing so much Futari because it feels almost quaint. The enemy designs and level designs and music (especially) are fantastic but it feels almost minimalist in comparison to the gem shredding technicolour mayhem of Futari Black Label.

Just all great great great great games.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » May 12th, 2019, 10:13 am

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 12th, 2019, 10:24 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 10:13 am
Statement on Psyvariar D:
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/11275 ... 52960?s=21
Already deleted, it seems. Could you perhaps sum up what it said?

EDIT: Okay, I found a facebook statement from a few days ago. Was this it?

https://www.facebook.com/dispatchgames/ ... 7074049524

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » May 12th, 2019, 10:31 am

That’s the one.