Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Alex79 »

Great work, Suits!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

This is one of my favourite threads on the entire Internet, and 99% is down to Suits.

As an aside, I also miss Joshi's arcade cab DIY thread!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hahahah, thanks gents.

Yes, Yoshi's cab thread was always a welcome bump in the listings.

It's kind of strange but the caring and collecting of retro games has pretty much become a passion just as strong - if different, to actually playing the games themselves.

I still enjoy playing the games as much as I ever have but the whole ritual around cleaning, restoring and refurbishing them has forged it's own enjoyment and thirst.

I'll be dammed if I'm pushing any old dusty, moody cart into my re-capacitored, clean MK1 Mega Drive or AGS-101.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Two thoughts:

1. I agree, Nick is doing the Lord's work. Keep it up, brother.

2. How on Earth can people treat their property so incredibly poorly? Buying used games is always a complete gamble as to whether or not one will receive a cart or disc that looks like it's been found at the bottom of a medieval well. Not in a million years would I allow my games to become "exposed to any sort of moisture". Gross.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 5th, 2019, 10:34 pm Two thoughts:

1. I agree, Nick is doing the Lord's work. Keep it up, brother.

2. How on Earth can people treat their property so incredibly poorly? Buying used games is always a complete gamble as to whether or not one will receive a cart or disc that looks like it's been found at the bottom of a medieval well. Not in a million years would I allow my games to become "exposed to any sort of moisture". Gross.
It’s horrifying how some people treat their possessions but I’m more surprised by the fact they think they can sell them and no-one will notice.

I returned a few games I bought on eBay which were sold as in very good condition with only one owner. On arrival the discs were covered in scratches, fingerprints and were “sticky”. It’s quite tricky politely telling someone the item is not as advertised and with one owner we both know it’s clearly only them to blame. It usually results in them saying the listing was wrong and they bought it elsewhere or I receive an email full of expletives and eBay intervenes.

Also I hate it when the advert says “Complete without manual”. So it’s not complete? When I used to trade in games the staff in game or CEX used to remark on the fact my game still had the manual in the box. Where else would it be? It’s not space saving to keep the box but chuck the manual.

We also all have a friend who holds a CD with their fingers all over the bottom. Do they not understand how the disc is read by the machine? Worst of all is when you borrow something from them discovering the disc appears to have been used by a toddler as a teether then realise you have entered into an unsaid contract to allow your games to be borrowed by them. Cue extremely awkward conversation as you hand over your mint copy of the requested game which makes you seem like the strange one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: May 6th, 2019, 6:32 am Also I hate it when the advert says “Complete without manual”. So it’s not complete? When I used to trade in games the staff in game or CEX used to remark on the fact my game still had the manual in the box. Where else would it be? It’s not space saving to keep the box but chuck the manual.
I know, right? I can sorta understand Game Boy cases and manuals getting lost over time considering how fragile they are, but what's the deal with people keeping the plastic case and chucking out the manual for no reason whatsoever? Not to mention those who feel the irresistible urge to fold them, which results in you buying a game whose manual has a big fat crease down the middle. WHY

What's disheartening is that, looking at my collection, I can totally tell which games I bought at release and who are still in mint condition for the most part save for the wear and tear on some 360 discs, and those that I was forced to buy used and are still rocking that disheveled look as a result of the irremediable injuries they once sustained.

Simonsloth wrote: May 6th, 2019, 6:32 am We also all have a friend who holds a CD with their fingers all over the bottom. Do they not understand how the disc is read by the machine? Worst of all is when you borrow something from them discovering the disc appears to have been used by a toddler as a teether then realise you have entered into an unsaid contract to allow your games to be borrowed by them. Cue extremely awkward conversation as you hand over your mint copy of the requested game which makes you seem like the strange one.
Been there, done that. And of course, considering how nobody above the age of 7 is apparently capable of dealing with external feedback without their ego kicking in and interpreting it as a full-fledged assault on their existential sovereignty, cue the grandiloquent speeches about the Intrinsic Right to Wallow in One's Own Filth and how completely out of line you are for daring to suggest there might be a slightly more advisable way of handling things.

I know someone who kept insisting for longer than should be legally allowed that the readable part of CDs was on the top because "that's how vinyls work, why would it be any different?" and my counterarguments were met with weeks of scorn and mockery. I had to dismantle a Discman right in front of their stupefied face in order to rectify the record.

I once lent my Xbox 360 and brand-new GTA IV to a "friend" who not only appeared to have used the machine as some sort of bong (by way of putting their shitty weed direct on the motherboard, turning it on and sucking on the ventilation grid, no doubt) from the smell of it, but also conveniently "forgot" to take the disc out before unplugging the console and transporting it. I'll let you guess the state it was in afterwards.

Not to mention that apparently, people don't know how to perform the most basic of civilized tasks such as washing their mitts every once in a while. Nothing says "deep interpersonal connection based on mutual respect" like getting a controller back that smells like a pungent mixture of viscous asphalt and smoked ham. With a freshly-expanded dead zone, no less.

And hey, all of those are the magnanimous ones that gave the stuff back. The true champs are those who instantly move to Bolivia or whatever as soon as you've shown the crippling personal weakness of "lending" them anything. Apex predators, right there. Gotta look out for those.

I give up. Seclusion and Isopropyl solve 99% of life's issues. :P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Man, Suits showing of some genuine cart reanimations skills.

I once had to drop by unannounced at a friend of a friend's place to collect my Gamecube and a whole bunch of my games, 2 hours before he got on a plane to migrate to Australia. Had to find out from others he was departing that day, of course. I ice grilled him from his apartment's doorstep while he begrudgingly handed me back my possessions, after rummaging through his packs and bags.

Some random games I snagged today on a visit to the city:

Kenseiden looks pretty impressive for a Master System game. Almost early Mega Drive-like in its details.

Kickle Cubicle is just a delight. Super cutesy and fun foe-freezing and cube kicking top down maze puzzler by Irem.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

So I did something that put me in my wife’s bad books. I’ve added a CRT tv to my otherwise extremely cluttered “office” but I couldn’t resist. The Donkey Konga bongos were so wildly off on my flatscreen I had to get one sooner or later.

It’s a design and model I would have scoffed at back in the day as it’s pretty small and has a built in VCR. However it does the job. It’s not going to be any good for 4 player multiplayer but for the odd light gun or rhythm action game it’s perfect.

So rhythm paradise, donkey konga and point blank will be dusted off very soon. Maybe even dance dance revolution if I can tolerate Boyzone which is the beginner track.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nice little bunch there Micheal, where did you get them from, the main shop in the city ??

I'll be back soon mate, I'll make sure I catch an early flight so we can catch up again.

Thats a Vectrex lurking in teh back isn't it - I've never played or seen one of the those working in the flesh.

Simonsloth wrote: May 8th, 2019, 6:58 pm So I did something that put me in my wife’s bad books. I’ve added a CRT tv to my otherwise extremely cluttered “office” but I couldn’t resist. The Donkey Konga bongos were so wildly off on my flatscreen I had to get one sooner or later.

It’s a design and model I would have scoffed at back in the day as it’s pretty small and has a built in VCR.....
YEESSSSSSSS, its begun.

Good work mate. Even the most basic CRT is better than any modern panel (unless your using an OSCC - but even then I prefer the glow of a tube) in terms of response and warmth.

What model is it ?? BUSH by any chance ??

What are your options, SCART, S-Video or just Composite ??

Being a 14" things will still look relatively tight, it's only when you go beyond 20" that I find things start to get ugly. Not in all instances mind, you can get some beautiful 600TVL Trinitron sets as well as some B&O units. Its just they take up some much space.

Even my 20" PVM seems colossal compared to the 3/4 inch thick modern panels, trying to nestle one in a corner almost seems impossible.

Awesome mate. Awesome.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: May 8th, 2019, 8:32 pm Nice little bunch there Micheal, where did you get them from, the main shop in the city ??
Yeah, same shop we both visited!
Suits wrote: May 8th, 2019, 8:32 pm I'll be back soon mate, I'll make sure I catch an early flight so we can catch up again.

Thats a Vectrex lurking in teh back isn't it - I've never played or seen one of the those working in the flesh.
Good stuff! Hey, I don't know what your plans are, but you would of course be welcome to come down to my place, so we can play on the Vectrex and other antique or more modern hardware!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Over the last couple of years, because I rent a villa alongside a few retirees, I've had some wonderfully quiet neighbours.

Also, more to the point, I've been able to pick up a CRT or two, either because people have passed away, or their children have sold them on modern TV's.

There was a elderly couple at no. 2 who I would chat with whenever I'd pull into the driveway, or get the mail, or take up the rubbish. The husband passed on a few years ago, and in the last week the wife has moved into a nursing home. It was a bit sad to find that out from other neighbours, but I have some good neighbours. And some pricks, but that's a different story.

Anyhow, nearly there. It was sad to see a big pile of personal belonging just dumped on the curbside, and even sadder to see strangers rifle through them, which technically is fine, but they didn't know the people like I did.

I did come across a 21" CRT, one I remember the husband briefly having issues with in an offhand conversation. So I rescued that from the trash-pile (no moral higher ground here), plugged it in, and saw a little "key" symbol in the corner, which meant that pressing any button besides the power button gave you no response.

I pulled it apart, gave it a thorough clean, dusted out the electronics, scrubbed the plastics, etc. I went online to track down a replacement remote. I figured a factory reset should fix everything. After putting everything back together again, it was as good as new. Programmed in the new remote with a 4-digit code (Magnavox MPTV 51A - good luck finding a PDF manual!), and functions perfectly.

Forgive the long story (or skip it). Technology for me isn't just gadgets or gimmicks: it's something that people interact with, connect with. It's a way to connect with the wider world, and when I look at that little CRT, I remember my former neighbours, ones I weren't overly close with, but it's not hard to be friendly and engage in conversation with people. It's a very minor effort that makes the community better.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Simonsloth wrote: May 8th, 2019, 6:58 pm it’s pretty small and has a built in VCR.
This has amused me no end and I'm not sure why :D

I'm almost ROFLing here :lol:

I'm sure your wife is delighted.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: May 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm Good stuff! Hey, I don't know what your plans are, but you would of course be welcome to come down to my place, so we can play on the Vectrex and other antique or more modern hardware!
Sounds rad man, I'll get in touch a bot closer to the time and we can see what works.

Will be good to meet up again - I'll make sure I'm not so "acclimatised" next time :lol: .
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I can’t compete with Suits’ almost weekly haul of retro goodness but I just bought Diddy Kong Racing in a charity shop for 50p. Boxed with manual albeit looks like it’s been left out in the rain.

We shall see later if I’ve bought a plastic ornament or whether that 50p has nabbed me a bargain.

NB: I never owned an N64 until earlier this year and I currently only have pilotwings 64 and now this in my collection. I suspect everyone already has this game on theirs.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: May 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm I just bought Diddy Kong Racing in a charity shop for 50p. Boxed with manual albeit looks like it’s been left out in the rain.

We shall see later if I’ve bought a plastic ornament or whether that 50p has nabbed me a bargain.
Man, what a find !!!

Even finding DKR in the wild complete is a score but for 50p, well that's just superb.

You'll find that the actual cartridges are pretty robust, only really serious physical damage to the pins means that they are useless.

If it doesn't boot, or crashes I'm sure a good clean will get it back to form.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I'll never understand how people get these thrift store finds. Every time I look, the shops know exactly what things are worth. My brother and I found a copy of Earthbound at a Value Village, torn label, they wanted $150.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It just depends on who's running them I guess. Bargains are much rarer these days, but I can't resist popping in every one I pass! It's a shame really, before eBay and the likes got everyone wised up to what they could charge for things there were bargains galore at boot sales etc. I used to buy and resell all the time back in the day. Sometimes rare CDs, too. I remember getting a Bowie box set for a couple of quid and turning in round for about £30, but my best ever was a Metallica bootleg in a snakeskin sleeve for less than a quid and watching it go for over £50 on eBay a week later!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Garage sale hunting became a really big problem in Ontario. A bunch of game collectors would literally camp out neighbourhood garage sales in advance and buy up everything so they could re-sell it. It was like an industry. I know Ivan, the guy who runs Toyratt in Milton (he has a reputation in GTA game trading), would pay his employees to show up at far-flung yard sales to buy inventory. It's an absolute shitshow, and it has been for years. Even game swaps, like, the vendors will go to smaller tables and buy up all their good stock just to mark it up and sell it at the same show.

When I was in Michigan though, I actually found some legit deals. Like a Saturn complete and working for $90 - would have bought it if I had the means. I got Link to the Past on GBA for $1. I got a Genesis with Sonic 1-3 and Vectorman 1-2 for $25. So I guess it depends on how aggressive the local buyers are.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really enjoying Punch Out on the NES classics on Switch. It's really fun. They clearly never changed a bit with the SNES and Wii versions, nor did they need to!
Suits

Post by Suits »

It is hard to find value in the wild nowadays but that's just the way it is now, it has been for a few years now I feel. It's not going to change, it's only going to get worse sadly.

That said, it's the community around it that still makes it fun.

Sometimes we go out, don't even see anything at all and still have a good time. We still have breakfast, a few coffees and a few laughs as we walk about and drive from car boot to charity shop.

I picked up Wonder Boy 3 on the Master System, boxed for £6 the other day - at a convention. You've just got to keep at it, you've not always going to score big.

If I'm out and see a game I already have, thats cheap, I'll pick it up. I won't pass over it, or leave it. I'll either upgrade my current copy or bits of it then offer it to the boys, then if no-one wants it, I'll usually trade it in at my mates Retro Game shop for credit.

The way I see it, is you're doing the scene a favour and getting a game back into the eco-system.