Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
clippa

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by clippa » May 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Arctic

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that it's entirely what you'd expect. No great suprises.
It's got the "not a nonce" from "The Hunt" in it and it's pretty much his face and the music and your empathy (if you've got any, you absolute monster) keeping the thing alive.
They play it safe, which is a shame, but it's good.
In honour of Joshihatsumitsu's homophobia (I've reported you to the moral arbiters on twitter, by the way. They say they'll have you desperately virtue signalling on instagram with a colon packed full of digits before the weeks out) we're using a new scoring system

This film will get 3 out of 5 bags of deliiiiicious prejudice.

Edit: Haha, I should have read your review first! :lol:

BrightNite

Post by BrightNite » May 14th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I never really payed attention to Game of Thrones until recently, but after a few friends and online raving about it I did watch a recent episode of STUFF HAPPENING! It looked good, I had no idea what was going on or who any one was and why they were doing what they were doing, so I might go back and watch it. I loved Picnic at Hanging Rock with Natalie Dormer, so thats another reason.
I still love watching old Columbo episodes, I even got the box set even though it's repeated millions on time on tv

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 14th, 2019, 8:58 pm

clippa wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm
Edit: Haha, I should have read your review first! :lol:
I go by the Eurogamer/Ars Technica review system of eliminating a numerical value to a game or movie or whatever.

But adding a review system where there's a scale that obscures any point of reference - even better.

I give your review 18 out of 4093 rubber donkeys (26.9 is considered the best, so you've done well)! :D

clippa

Post by clippa » May 14th, 2019, 9:25 pm

I'm no Barry Norman, I think that's safe to say. It's hard to know how much detail to go into as I like to go into films blind as much as I can, though I'm probably not saying enough currently.

Sometimes I'll check out the rottentomatoes score first, just to see if it's worth my time, I mean it's not foolproof, but it gives you the general consensus. Having said that, I might not have watched Martyrs if I'd seen that score before I saw it and it's one of my favourite horror films.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 14th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I love Martyrs... and by love I mean it's not an easy watch, and I'd struggle to recommend it to anyone who doesn't like horror movies, but yeah... it doesn't pull any punches.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 14th, 2019, 9:54 pm

I just found my post from the forum where someone recommended it to me.
I'd like to thank you for the recommendation but I think that PM'ing a few people on this board to find out where you live and then driving up there to punch you full in the face would be a more apt response.

-- SPOILERS AHEAD --

A brilliant and powerful film but it was horrible, horrible, horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if seeing that has done me some real, lasting mental damage.
The hour or so of fitful sleep I managed to get last night was plagued by visions of the poor cockroach girl and skinless McGee.
After everything I kind of got the feeling that the standard, if expertly done, horror fare of the first half was only there to lull me into a false sense of security and to butter me up for the real punishing horror that was coming.

On 13:11 29/Mar/10, jamieM wrote:
> The worst scene, for me, was the short clip of the guy just relentlessly punching the girl in the face

That whole section of the film was horrific but if you mean the shot where all you can see is the guys back and he's on his knees, I found that strangely comical, it was the only moment of respite for me as it brought back fond memories of Eddie having a go at Richie but then the camera position changed and I was right back to suicidally depressed :D
I remember at the end of "inside" going "Jesus christ ..... that was BRILLIANT"
At the end of this, I went "Jesus christ .... Jesus fucking Christ".
So yeah, same from me, a recommendation with an absolute bag load of caveats.
Have you seen Inside too? What's wrong with the french?

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 15th, 2019, 6:41 am

Ha, yeah. I have Martyrs on Bluray and Inside on DVD so... :oops: the upside is no-one ever borrows anything from my personal collection, so they're in pristine shape!

There is a point in Inside where it goes from upsettingly ultra-violent to absurdly cartoon violent, at which point it becomes a little easier to watch, because it's bonkers. Maybe it's because I grew up with Looney Tunes, but there is a point where the violence becomes absurd, and the only sane response is laughter.

Martyrs doesn't ever let you off the hook, and it's brutal, and horrific, and doesn't want the audience to be okay with it. Inside is a test to see how far things can go, and they get pretty crazy!

There is an American remake of Martyrs, and from the few reviews out there it's a quite toothless. If it popped up on Netflix, I'd lazily be curious and watch it, but if ever there was a pointless remake :roll:

Side note: speaking of French, I thought about taking the David Cage counter-argument-route before, and say "how can I be homophobic? I know Ellen Page!!!". But then I remembered that I don't know Ellen Page at all, so I am at an arguementive disadvantage. :(

clippa

Post by clippa » May 15th, 2019, 7:37 am

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 6:41 am
There is a point in Inside where it goes from upsettingly ultra-violent to absurdly cartoon violent, at which point it becomes a little easier to watch, because it's bonkers.
It never went there for me, I don't think. I could have done with some of that. I was literally gripping the arm of my chair throughout. It was truly horrifying, you can't give a horror film any higher praise than that.

Since you've seen everything, have you seen Tony?
Not really a horror, and not much of a serial killer film either, the killings seem like a brief footnote, an underdeveloped subplot. Really lovely, gentle film when you step away from it. It's more a blackly comic study on alienation. It's really good. You can almost smell the grime coming off it as well.

What about Sleep Tight
That's not really a horror either but it scratches the same itch, best to go in blind.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 15th, 2019, 9:07 am

clippa wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 7:37 am
What about Sleep Tight
That's not really a horror either but it scratches the same itch, best to go in blind.
I haven't seen either. Obviously seen Jaume Balagueró's Rec films, but not Sleep Tight. Shall add it to the list.

I think my love of horror films is why I had such good time with Detective Pikachu: even us gorehounds just need something cute, adorable, and somewhat disposable enough to stay sane!

clippa

Post by clippa » May 16th, 2019, 8:24 am

New Black Mirror trailer. Coming June 5th

Only 3 episodes this time round. Since it went to netflix, I've really only liked half of each series and could have done without the other 3 episodes.
Didn't rate baldysnatch myself, hopefully that was the bad half and these next three will be good.

San Junipero, Shut Up and Dance and Nosedive were fab, the rest meh.
Black Museum, Metalhead and USS Calister were the good ones last time round, I thought.

Limmy mentioned in his autobiography that he was asked to play the older developer in banjosnap but turned it down as it clashed with a date on his book tour. Fans first 4 eva.
Maybe that could have saved it.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 16th, 2019, 11:16 am

clippa wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:24 am
Limmy mentioned in his autobiography that he was asked to play the older developer in banjosnap but turned it down as it clashed with a date on his book tour. Fans first 4 eva.
Limmy! I've got "Surprisingly Down to Earth, and Very Funny" ready to listen to in my Audible library. Fucking class Limmy. The sketch shows are brilliant. Excited to check it out.

James

Post by James » May 18th, 2019, 8:47 am

We finally got around to Legion's second season, just in time for Season 3 to arrive next month. This show is certainly my favourite superhero TV show, and pretty high up there in my estimation of TV shows in general.

Fiction which plays with unreliable and/or shifting perception is something I tend to respond to. A funny aside is that Legion brings to mind the 17th episode of Buffy's 6th season, called 'Normal Again'. It's one of my favourites of that show's run, particularly because it calls into question pretty much everything else that happens in it.

I've been thinking a lot this week about how the standard 22-episode season of US network television really doesn't work for me anymore. Few, I'd say, manage to tell a coherent story, with a satisfying arc, especially those that rely on villain-of-the-week episodes to pad the season out. Having dropped off Agents of SHIELD(which is about to come back for its 6 season), I can't imagine sticking with a show like that anymore. Sadly that might mean there's a few late 90s/early 00s shows I really enjoyed that I wouldn't make time for now.

Anyway! I'm really taken with Legion (now 4 episodes into Season 2), and even more thrilled to hear that Season 3 might be the last. A chance to tell its story and finish in a blaze of glory!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » May 20th, 2019, 5:23 am

I think some of that comes from being raised on British Brevity

James

Post by James » May 20th, 2019, 7:50 am

I enjoy British Brevity in my TV, but am unable to employ British brevity in my forum posts! ;-)

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 11:44 am

hazeredmist wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 11:16 am
Limmy! I've got "Surprisingly Down to Earth, and Very Funny" ready to listen to in my Audible library. Fucking class Limmy. The sketch shows are brilliant. Excited to check it out.
Yeah, he's fab. I went with the audio version too, he writes like he's chatting to you, so it makes sense. Some books are much better in audio form. Who on earth is tom baker instantly springs to mind, I won't link to it in case it's against the rules but if you search youtube it's right there. If you don't care about doctor who and much less about tom baker then you're the perfect audience. Easily the best autobiography ever written.
Those Alan Partridge books as well, much better hearing Coogan delivering the lines.

Trailers for the individual episodes of black mirror series 5 are up

clippa

Post by clippa » May 23rd, 2019, 9:07 pm

Yaaas, man! Another series of Big Night Out coming.
BBC Four again, which is criminal, the way they've treat them over the years, dangling the carrots of sketch shows and sitcoms in return for them churning out more shooting stars. House of fools cut down in it's prime.
Don't hide them away, get them on BBC 2 at least.
Same with Limmy's show, one of the best comedy shows in years, that should have gone nation wide, at least by the second series when they knew what they had on their hands.
Just 4 episodes again, sadly, according to one news site.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 24th, 2019, 5:55 am

I’m not really one for TV at all and very rarely actually watch anything.

But, a mate put me into the new series that’s started on Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl.

Watched the first episode last night, it’s haunting, so chilling. Excellent stuff.

If you have a morbid interested in that human disaster, then it’s a fascinating perspective of the immediate events following the explosion.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 1st, 2019, 8:50 pm

Us

Ugh, really boring, I thought. Half an hour too long. and all of the humour (such as it was) defused the film of any tension.
I've said it before but you have to be very skilled to marry comedy with horror and make them elevate each other.
I can't believe this reviewed so well.

I thought "get out" was overrated but I went in blind expecting some run of the mill also ran and came out with some nice social commentary that elevated it slightly.
This was just confused and dull.

Jordan Peele can get out. I also wasted my time watching the first two episodes of the new twilight zone, I'm blaming that on him as well.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 4th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Saw Godzilla and Aladdin last weekend.
I flat out hated Aladdin, but different strokes. My wife enjoyed it and so did a few of my friends.
I liked Godzilla without loving it. All those wonderful trailers had me expecting a life transforming monster movie and, though there's plenty of fun to be had, it never became the "end all, be all" of Godzilla films, I think. I stand by that Peter Jackson's King Kong might be as good as any Kong film is every going to be and while King of the Monsters has it's moments, it's still a bit off at times.

Cangry

Post by Cangry » June 5th, 2019, 6:34 am

Yesterday watched John Wick, loved the 3rd movie to be honest. Has anyone see it?