Steam Christmas Sale

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Steam Christmas Sale

Post by James »

I know we have a 'Videogame Deals' thread, but I wanted to keep this separate for our confessions of a Steam Sale.

Kicking us off on Day One (20/12/2012), I've already picked up:
Batman: Arkham Asylum (GOTY Edition) - £2.49
Batman: Arkham City (GOTY Edition) - £4.99
Prince Of Persia Collection (Sands Of Time, Two Thrones, Warrior Within, 2008 and Forgotten Sands) - £10.74

Running total: £18.22

And I was very kindly gifted Mirror's Edge by Karl (NokkonWud) - thanks very much, mate. :D
Toffer

Re: Steam Christmas Sale

Post by Toffer »

I'm resisting as many urges as I can (Should really pick up Mirrors Edge on the PC, despite finishing it on the Xbox) as money is tight due to wedding saving.

I've set aside money for The Walking Dead series, and with Far Cry and XCOM coming for Xmas I should be fine.

In theory..

Good choices though. The PoP collection is ace, as is one of the Batmans. Couldn't get on with Arkham City personally.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Bought $10 or so of indie games for a friend, but nothing else.

The downside for me is that I spent all my money on the WiiU and so can't afford to really buy anything this time around.

The upside is that after the last two sales, there's not a whole lot I want from Steam that I don't have. There are certainly things I would like, but not a great deal; and I don't think anything I do want will come cheap enough where I'd have been comfortable with purchasing it anyway. The most I tend to spend on single items in these sales is maybe $15 or so.
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

So Farnham only bought scribblenauts, and I'm really glad there is a way around it not being released yet which apparently let people play the game for an hour or so then blocked access
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I was gifted a copy of FTL by our very own James Carter. Cheers man! Been meaning to get into this for a while now but Isaac kept me back. ;)
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Welp, got Hitman Absolution gifted to me by a person I've met maybe three times.

First gift I've ever received on Steam, too. Was honestly taken aback by it.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Torchlight II is £7.49. I grabbed it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

James gifted me and some others FTL: Faster Than Light. He's lovely like that. I'm only sorry that as I'm unemployed right now I can't afford to buy anyone else (or myself) anything (that categorically isn't a hint btw, just the facts; I start my new life as a professional games writer on January 8th, when the free games should start coming thick and fast :D )!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll have your Doritos please Leon I love Doritos! :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Why do you think I wanted the job? ;)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Congrats Ratso! Where are you writing (if you can say)?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

magicjoef wrote:Congrats Ratso! Where are you writing (if you can say)?
My money's on
Spoiler: show
Nowgamer
I think it's hush hush
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

A friend bought Torchlight II for himself, me, and the other people in our little group. Looking forward to some co-op play, though the issue of connections is likely going to bite me in the ass as usual.
James

Post by James »

Day Three starts in a smidge over 90 minutes. The story so far...

Day One:
Prince Of Persia Collection (Sands Of Time, Two Thrones, Warrior Within, 2008 and Forgotten Sands) - £10.74

Day Two:
Nil

Running total: £18.22

Kind gifts from, and thanks to:
Karl (NokkonWud) - Mirror's Edge
Josh (combinehunter) - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Director's Cut)
Tony (Ghost World) - Thomas Was Alone
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

magicjoef wrote:Congrats Ratso! Where are you writing (if you can say)?
Thanks!
No, I can't say for a while yet. It's not an established gaming organ though, so no-one is likely to guess it. It's not as 'cool' as Joystiq, Eurogamer or something like that. It does involve two very large organisations whose relationship is not yet public which is why I cannot divulge :)
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Phew! Was holding out for deals on Bastion and To The Moon & they both came up this evening. Very pleased. I think I'm done now unless the Ys games become stupidly cheap.

That's Bastion, To The Moon, Sonic CD and The Binding of Isaac for a measly £8.21 combined. Feel like I just mugged someone.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

I picked up the following games

Age Of empires 3 Complete Collection
Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 2
Just Cause 2
Mass Effect 2 (Along with extra content and arts books, soundtrack etc)
Serious Sam 3 BFE
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Not a bad little haul, most of those i already have but on console so thought id get them on the better platform and i must say Ass Creed looks so much better on PC. Looking forward to playing through ME2 with mods installed as well.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Got gifted Sleeping Dogs. And at last, as the sale approaches its end, I think I might buy a couple of games; The Witcher 2, Hell Yeah!, and I Am Alive. Giving it a little while before I make my decision, though.
James

Post by James »

ratsoalbion wrote:James gifted me and some others FTL: Faster Than Light. He's lovely like that. I'm only sorry that as I'm unemployed right now I can't afford to buy anyone else (or myself) anything (that categorically isn't a hint btw, just the facts; I start my new life as a professional games writer on January 8th, when the free games should start coming thick and fast :D )!
Absolutely no need to feel anything other than pride, Leon. We're all incredibly proud of your new position and the gift was as much about that as Christmas. All the best for ventures new come Tuesday! :D

A final round up of my Steam transgressions, pending any last minute deals that are too tempting to refuse.

Atom Zombie Smasher - £1.49
Broken Sword Trilogy - £1.99
Dead Island (GotY Edition) - £6.79
Devil May Cry 4 - £4.75
FTL: Faster Than Light - £3.49
GTA Collection (3, VC, SA, IV and the Episodes) - £11.71
Spec Ops: The Line - £6.79
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (Complete Pack) - £8.74
Thirty Flights Of Loving (incl. Gravity Bone) - £1.99

Running total: £65.96

Yikes! That's more than I probably should have spent. Solace comes from having 23 games for less than the price of two new ones. :shock:

Average price per game = £2.87

Kind gifts from, and thanks to:
CY Reid (failnaut) - Crysis Maximum Edition (incl. Wars & Warhead)
Darren F (Kayin Amoh) - Binary Domain
Darren G (dezm0nd) - DOTA 2
Graham (GSMason) - The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition
Karl (NokkonWud) - Mirror's Edge
Josh (combinehunter) - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Director's Cut)
Tony (Ghost World) - Thomas Was Alone

Needless to say, that's a ridiculous list of gifts and a mark of the wonderful kindness of my fellow Cane And Rinsers and other Twitter friends. Thank you all! :oops:
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

the best bargain I managed to snag this year was sleeping dogs for a whopping £2.31. There was an error I think as it should have been £10 (66% off) but instead it switched to 91% off, although only for about 30 mins or so, I think it happened on 5th Jan. Amazing deal!