Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » May 15th, 2019, 3:42 am

Oooooooooh, I was thinking Degica had been quiet for a while so checked their twitter

https://twitter.com/DegicaGames/status/ ... 0761962496
We have a new title announcement for you all tomorrow! I'm so excited, it's like a dream come true... Tune in tomorrow for the reveal!
I'm not going to get too excited like the folk commenting, depending on the guys dreams it might just be one of those paedo-baiting visual novels getting a switch port or something, but as of right now my oooooooooh stands.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 15th, 2019, 5:55 am

clippa wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 11:45 pm
One day I'll live in a mansion, I'll be sat at the end of a 100ft room with a big 1,000" telly balanced against the opposite wall, then you'll all learn.
This screen would be good for shmups:

https://twitter.com/TomKCTV5/status/1082773842534285312

clippa

Post by clippa » May 15th, 2019, 6:24 am

I expected that link to go to the samsung sero TV.
I'm sorry I doubted you.

https://twitter.com/JBurtoft/status/1128540871748673541
Could it be the M2 Shottrigger collection for pc☺
Oh, do fuck off you meaty geniuuuuuus. I'm getting a sweat on just thinking about it.
It's gonna be some JRPG with tit headed children.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 15th, 2019, 8:14 pm

It's A-Train in VR.

I don't want to talk about it.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 16th, 2019, 4:46 am

Oops, my mistake, that wasn't the big reveal after all.

It's tit-headed children 4 on steam - https://twitter.com/DegicaGames/status/ ... 5814440961

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 16th, 2019, 5:12 am

I expected nothing and was still disappointed.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 16th, 2019, 5:36 am

You know, with the comparatively tiny install size of most shmups, I think one could probably fit all of CAVE's back catalog onto a single Blu-Ray. Imagine if there was the willingness to put together a nice physical compilation of all highlights of the genre, with Treasure, MOSS, Eighting, Capcom, Hudson, Irem, Taito, Technosoft, and others joining in as well...

Video game preservation isn't talked about enough. Enthusiasts like us shouldn't have to either resort to illegal means or pay exorbitant scalper fees and jump through innumerable technical hoops in order to be able to play games originally released decades ago. And it certainly shouldn't be the responsibility of individual collectors to pay thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/yens/yuan to keep basic physical records of an entire genre for future generations once the servers inevitably go offline at some point.

It's no surprise video games are having respectability problems if we can't even get that right.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 17th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I've put a fair few hours into Ghost Blade Score Attack over the last week and I really enjoy it overall. Managed to get a little over 2B which put me at #13 of the PS4 leaderboards, but I'm struggling with climbing any higher. Mostly because my strat for the second half of the run isn't as solid as it should be and some of the nuances of the scoring system still elude me. I tried looking up some superplays and FAQs to help me out, but the only video over 1B I could find is from clippa as well as ancient posts of him exhorting random redditors to play this. Could have saved myself the trouble if that's the extent of the entire fanbase! :P

Also tried a bit of Calamitus Glaze and... yeah. Love the Shame Breaks, though. Shame Breaks should be in every game. I already signed a petition to get some Shame Breaks into TLoU2. GotY 2020 right there.
Spoiler: show
This is some shameless shit all right. Thank Hephaestus you can turn it off.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 17th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Totally agree. They should definitely patch Shame Breaks into Bloodborne, for starters. I can't think of a single game that wouldn't be improved by this mechanic,

clippa

Post by clippa » May 18th, 2019, 4:28 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 9:32 pm
some of the nuances of the scoring system still elude me.
From the steam page
Tips For Getting Highscores
Earn points by destroying enemies and collecting Stage Star items. The higher your Combo Multiplier, the more you earn. Destroying enemies and crates add to the Combo Multiplier.
For a top scoring run kill as many enemies as possible and avoid dying and using bombs - use FOCUS shot to earn extra bombs and pick them up for a score bonus!
No-bombing gives big impact on score, as does having as high bomb count as possible.
Aaaah, so it looks like killing enemies with the focus shot is what makes the bomb gauge fill up? So it's pretty basic

- don't die
- don't bomb
- kill as many enemies as you can with the focus shot
- try not to kill the bigger enemies until you're right up close to earn more stars
- collect all the stars on the ground if you can
- try to kill all the enemies

I don't think there's any timer on the combo, it doesn't reset when you bomb, maybe it does when you get hit.

I might shove this on later today and see if I can beat that ps4 score.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 18th, 2019, 4:50 am

clippa wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:28 am
Aaaah, so it looks like killing enemies with the focus shot is what makes the bomb gauge fill up? So it's pretty basic
Indirectly, yes. It spawns Tech Orbs and collecting those fills the bomb meter. You can get up to 5 bombs on the Score Attack level. I don't think 6 is possible, but I could be wrong.

Looking at the run you've posted, the only stat I'm lagging behind on are the Stage Stars, because I have no idea how to get close enough to some of the later large enemies without getting hit in the process.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 18th, 2019, 5:25 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:50 am
Indirectly, yes. It spawns Tech Orbs and collecting those fills the bomb meter.
Ah, yes, I see those now! Little green, slightly see through, blocky round things. Wow, this changes everything.
I find it fun to try and work out the scoring for myself in games like this, but as you can see, it's a flawed system :shock:
KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 4:50 am
You can get up to 5 bombs on the Score Attack level
Wow! I definitely need to use focus attack more then.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 18th, 2019, 6:39 am

Stunfest 2019

Gus clears Futari Ultra live on stage. He'd never played the game in public before but he seems to enjoy himself.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 18th, 2019, 7:23 am

There's a video with english commentary here if you're interested - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/426010552?t=55m30s

Danbo should be commentating on Blue Revolver on that channel at 2:30pm I think.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 18th, 2019, 7:54 am

Nice one, cheers. Worth a rewatch with English commentary. I've been trying some Ultra/God to improve my dodging skills and just for the chaos but I'm still playing for a BL Original 1CC, basically. I really wish I'd just bombed my way through when that wasp flew in the window.

Also getting back on my DOJ pipe dream chaining and finding Ketsui X Mode to be the most fun I've ever had with that game.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 19th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Ooh, look, that M2 youtube documentary thing is up

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 19th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Nice. I'll get on that. Cheers.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 20th, 2019, 10:54 pm

clippa wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 6:48 pm
Ooh, look, that M2 youtube documentary thing is up

I watched that last night on the TV, and it's always interesting to hear Horii question whether the decisions he makes are "good business" or not, and that the motivation is about quality and accuracy, and fun.

There's something very different to how companies like M2 and Toaplan (who are long defunct) are/were motivated not by shareholders or investors, but by their output, the bottom-line be damned, and how most other gaming companies are far more concerned about profit, quality of games be damned.

If I ever had the talent to makes games, I'd be falling well into the category of bankrupt. ;)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 21st, 2019, 5:23 am

I've been playing Gigawing a lot the last couple of days, I really like it. Shame it never got a modern console release, it seems to have only been ported to the DC from the arcade original.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 21st, 2019, 9:05 pm

Struggling with Sky Force Reloaded it has to be said. I’m still stuck having to repeat the first two levels due to not having enough medals to progress yet - the weapon, despite lots of upgrades in the garage and constant “weapon upgraded” token things, feels piss weak with a low unsatisfying fire rate - and It doesn’t feel fun to play at all. Graphically it’s nice and everything but is this game just holding back fun for me to gain XP and level up to enjoy the levels? Finding it hard to motivate myself to continue right now with the potential grind, kinda going against what I’ve otherwise been enjoying with shmups, the immediacy and satisfaction of weapons morphing and expanding as I play, not via a separate upgrade centre I’ve got to save stars up to use. 400 stars for side cannons to even start being available? Fucks sake man. Why? Suits - tell me I’m wrong mate. I want to like this!

I’ve also picked up Velocity 2X for the queue in the sale. I haven’t played it yet but I have it on PS Plus Vita, but it was too tempting and I’m likely to let that service lapse in September as my interest in PS4 online is pretty much nil outside of the odd Rocket League session.