Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall »

Stunfest 2019

Gus clears Futari Ultra live on stage. He'd never played the game in public before but he seems to enjoy himself.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nice one, cheers. Worth a rewatch with English commentary. I've been trying some Ultra/God to improve my dodging skills and just for the chaos but I'm still playing for a BL Original 1CC, basically. I really wish I'd just bombed my way through when that wasp flew in the window.

Also getting back on my DOJ pipe dream chaining and finding Ketsui X Mode to be the most fun I've ever had with that game.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nice. I'll get on that. Cheers.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

clippa wrote: May 19th, 2019, 8:48 pm Ooh, look, that M2 youtube documentary thing is up

I watched that last night on the TV, and it's always interesting to hear Horii question whether the decisions he makes are "good business" or not, and that the motivation is about quality and accuracy, and fun.

There's something very different to how companies like M2 and Toaplan (who are long defunct) are/were motivated not by shareholders or investors, but by their output, the bottom-line be damned, and how most other gaming companies are far more concerned about profit, quality of games be damned.

If I ever had the talent to makes games, I'd be falling well into the category of bankrupt. ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Gigawing a lot the last couple of days, I really like it. Shame it never got a modern console release, it seems to have only been ported to the DC from the arcade original.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Struggling with Sky Force Reloaded it has to be said. I’m still stuck having to repeat the first two levels due to not having enough medals to progress yet - the weapon, despite lots of upgrades in the garage and constant “weapon upgraded” token things, feels piss weak with a low unsatisfying fire rate - and It doesn’t feel fun to play at all. Graphically it’s nice and everything but is this game just holding back fun for me to gain XP and level up to enjoy the levels? Finding it hard to motivate myself to continue right now with the potential grind, kinda going against what I’ve otherwise been enjoying with shmups, the immediacy and satisfaction of weapons morphing and expanding as I play, not via a separate upgrade centre I’ve got to save stars up to use. 400 stars for side cannons to even start being available? Fucks sake man. Why? Suits - tell me I’m wrong mate. I want to like this!

I’ve also picked up Velocity 2X for the queue in the sale. I haven’t played it yet but I have it on PS Plus Vita, but it was too tempting and I’m likely to let that service lapse in September as my interest in PS4 online is pretty much nil outside of the odd Rocket League session.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

On the plus side tonight I’ve reached Day 5 on Neko Navy which I’m really enjoying now. Beautiful happy art & lush music to cleanse the mind while the gameplay attacks the senses - last time I played this I only just scraped Day 3 so I’m slowly getting better albeit without putting in serious time thanks to other games on the go right now. It’s gonna be a fun one to have a bash at frequently I think!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Just to chime in on Sky Force, as well, I totally agree. I did quite enjoy elements of the grind, like working on routes to get 100% destruction and maximise cash but it's pure F2P mobile game in structure, mad spikes as clippa said and progress gated behind hammering the same stages at different difficulties. It's something I find irritating about contemporary Mario games, to be honest, making you go back to get some fiddly medals or stars to unlock the next island or whatever. It kills momentum.

Anger Force Reloaded also follows this Sky Force model and while there's plenty of potential there, the grindy F2P trappings can gtf.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Interesting. Personally, I've enjoyed what I've played of SFR in terms of movement, level layout and enemy design, but the reason I haven't gone back to it lately is because of all the grinding and resource system. Shmups should be all about pure skill in my opinion, and arbitrary RPG mechanics are a bit contradictory to that.

Basically, I don't mind replaying levels over and over again to get a better score, but I could have done without the in-game marketplace.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

clippa wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 6:24 am Does it? I don't remember that, maybe it's been updated since I played, or it's been changed slightly for the switch.
Basically, there are loads of permanent damage upgrades and bomb stock upgrades and other stuff which means you'll be replaying for ages just to increase some DMG% which I find antithetical to the fundamental process of improving your actual skill.

And yeah, I don't mean to be a dick about it, either. I enjoyed SFA on the Switch and got about two thirds through before I peeled away the layer which made it all fall apart. It's a decent way to get new players into the genre and from there, something like Strikers 1945 II isn't a big leap in gameplay or skill or mechanics. It's just a leap towards something much better.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

In different news, GUS did this live on stage at Stunfest this past weekend.

https://youtu.be/WTsxAjC6sMY

After his pretty amazing but ultimately comfortable Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 Ultra clear, he attempted the much harder 1.01 mode to close the event...

He looks absolutely wrecked at the end of it. There were moments when I literally gasped at his play. Real TAS-tier madness at times. I massively recommend it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 8:06 am I massively recommend it.
I forgot to reply at the time, but I did watch the first video you posted in its entirety and thought it was incredible, despite the commentators best efforts to undermine everything. :P

Will be checking this one when I have the time for sure.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alex79uk wrote: May 21st, 2019, 7:23 am I've been playing Gigawing a lot the last couple of days, I really like it. Shame it never got a modern console release, it seems to have only been ported to the DC from the arcade original.
Giga Wing is absolutely bonkers and crazy fun. Great choice! Who's your character?
Stanshall wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 6:07 am Just to chime in on Sky Force, as well, I totally agree. I did quite enjoy elements of the grind, like working on routes to get 100% destruction and maximise cash but it's pure F2P mobile game in structure, mad spikes as clippa said and progress gated behind hammering the same stages at different difficulties.
That sounds pretty awful and completely antithetical to the core principles of the genre.

Also, definitely going to watch that Futari 1.5 Ultra clear when I have some time. Stage 1 in that mode completely annihilates me.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 6:07 am it's pure F2P mobile game in structure
Now I didn't want to say this as I have already alluded to a prejudice I have (hey we're not all perfect) with mobile games and games with mobile roots, but this is exactly the feeling I get from all I've detailed about my experiences in a nutshell. I think I'm just going to knock this on the head for now - I scanned and every level wants me to earn what looks like a stupid amount of medals to unlock the content, and until I've done these challenges I'm left doing the same boring levels over and over. Fuck that shit. The only thing missing is a little pop-up saying "would you like to PAY SOME MONEY to avoid the bullshit you're going through right now? Get your credit card out son!". Nah. It just feels snidey, and being able to tell the game WILL be more fun down the line behind this egregious wall it's put up in front of me just annoys me further.
clippa wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 6:24 amIf you enjoy the skyforce games, don't think that you're in the wrong, there are plenty of veteran shmuppers who love them. I'm scared to post on the shmups forum because I think everyone's gonna tell me I'm wrong about everything. I'd hate for that to happen on here.
We're just saying why we don't like the game and giving reasons, there is no right or wrong. I know it goes without saying but it's easy for the vibe of a thread to change like that, isn't it?
I suppose calling the game "hot garbage" doesn't help :oops:
Mate don't worry about this :D Different opinions are fun and more than welcome here in my experience, games wise anyway. Suits loves Sky Force Reloaded and that's brilliant, I took the recommendation and read reviews, I went in with open eyes and it's on me and me alone if I don't like it. I love games which others think are shite. It's all fair in love and war. If that's not the case on the shmups forum, that's their problem. Who gives a shit what someone else thinks about your opinion anyway, as long as you're doing no harm with it.

I'm not going to delete the game just yet as I'm waiting for Suits to come and tear me a new one so I end up compelled to try again... We'll see :twisted:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Dumb question:

When things are getting tight and precision is needed, do you guys prefer to use the d-pad for its immediacy or the analogue stick for its smooth diagonals? On a controller, obviously. I know "arcade stick" is the true answer to everything.

I've been playing with the stick so far, but I've heard the Mushi commentators talk about the d-pad, so I dunno.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Edit: Thread moved on a bit!

This 1.01 run is sensational. I have got to the first boss once on Ultra mode, it's unreal to see that stage turned inside out.

Nice little interview with Gus at the end of the first run. He seems like such a sweet, vulnerable guy. Dare I say...savant-like? Glad to see him getting excited and the crowd giving him a great response.

Edit: clippa linked this but no harm in reposting it:

http://www.twitch.tv/os_yom/v/426896367?sr=a&t=10643s

Again, sweet little interview at the end but he looks absolutely shattered this time. Must require incredible concentration and stress. I can't imagine.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

His accent is amazing. You ever seen his Futari Ultra counter stop run on STG Weekly?

It's pretty much as iconic as it gets in the microscopic niche of import shmup counter stop commentary. It's an amazing run with some insightful stuff on the Japanese scene and how secretive players are within that community, but it's the various interjections from Gus which make it, for me.

His advice on going 'full shmup' where he starts to quote Bukowski is great but my favourite bit is when his mum comes in and starts going apeshit about him not booking his tutors yet.

https://youtu.be/ZZeRl3NXsUQ

I'd say this is essential viewing for those of us who enjoy seeing a 2x2 pixel hit box nudge through hundreds of pink dots.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:36 am
hazeredmist wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:13 amMate don't worry about this
I need a keyring version of you for everyday living :D
I used to post on a forum where if you said you didn't like a game, the people that did like it would take it as a personal insult and gang up on you.
This place is much nicer, but I'm still a bit cautious of upsetting anyone, like I say, it's all just personal opinion, I think I might be guilty of being a bit too blunt at times, I forget to sugar coat things since I don't need or expect that myself, would much rather everyone just be honest. It's much easier. Especially about bloody games, I mean, christ, if you're that emotionally invested in a bloody game you've got bigger problems than someone disagreeing with you.
:lol:

I agree with everything you've said here. That forum you refer to, it sounds like it was populated by a bunch of empty tools. I can relate to the worry - I have had anxiety issues myself and have experienced that pointless need for acceptance, moving past that is a real eye-opener. I prefer the honesty angle too, and I don't really see what the point is in being offended if thoughts differ on games. That's what makes it interesting! Much better than us all sitting round a campfire in frilly dresses group hugging over how wonderful something is, before lying together cuddling and smiling, but not having sex. Give me a faux-ruck any day. Maybe that says something about me though :mrgreen:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 9:15 am Dumb question:

When things are getting tight and precision is needed, do you guys prefer to use the d-pad for its immediacy or the analogue stick for its smooth diagonals? On a controller, obviously. I know "arcade stick" is the true answer to everything.

I've been playing with the stick so far, but I've heard the Mushi commentators talk about the d-pad, so I dunno.
The guy on the right doing the commentary is Jaimers and he uses a Saturn d-pad (with some success!), so that probably explains some of the pad chat.

I use the analogue stick by default and I'm quite happy tap-tap-tapping left and right with that. Unfortunately, both of my 360 pads have stick drift (in different directions, and it only happens on certain games!) so I've ordered a new one (as in 'brand new'). This has meant giving the d-pad a good go over the past week or so and it's actually better in some respects. I don't think the 360 d-pad is a particularly fine specimen but I've been playing DaiOuJou and been improving quite steadily since I've switched to d-pad which is a bit weird. Maybe it's the way forward...

I've never really got into the stick but I'm going to mod mine with a Seimitsu stick and see how that goes. It's meant to be snappier, with a 'shorter throw', as they say. I seem to remember that clippa has the Hori RAP Pro EX-SE which is meant to be the best you can get for shmups, and it's incredibly hard to find now and was never released over here and also looks like a literal angel descended from heaven.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Christ, I'm going to be obsessively looking at Switch sticks now.