Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist » May 22nd, 2019, 8:20 am

Christ, I'm going to be obsessively looking at Switch sticks now.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 22nd, 2019, 8:37 am

And once you've decided upon the stick, and you feel happy with that, you can start to obsess about swapping out the buttons...and so on! :D

I built a headphone amp a few years ago, it was outrageously good. Like, I miss it all the time but I reached the point where I was ordering these 1950s Russian military 'new old stock' capacitors that were the size of Coke cans and squeezing them into the case and having to desolder the whole bloody thing to accommodate and put pieces back in with extra wires and resistors all over the shop. The insides basically looked like spag bol with a couple of Coke cans as garnish. Didn't have a clue what I was doing really but it sounded insanely good, until I realised I didn't actually enjoy music any more, just the 'air around the instruments' and the 'presence of the rides' and that kind of shite. That's before I even get into the tube rolling and modding the foam and drivers on my headphones. That way madness lies, honestly, so I sold it all off and just started listening to music again in my car and with bog standard headphones until I actually just enjoyed music again. Funnily enough, while I do miss the excitement of listening through that amp, it's a different feeling I have now towards music. More of a 'take it as it comes' thing which is a really nice side effect. I'm probably more open minded now towards 'shit music'. Or, rather, I don't distinguish or judge in the same way any more. Uhh, I digress...

Anyway, looking forward to recapturing a similar level of insanity with sticks and octagonal gates and all that stuff! Glory days ahead until I launch it all in a skip, reset and find peace in the 360 analogue stick drift.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 22nd, 2019, 8:43 am

Haha! Excellent.

This thread is fucking fantastic man.

I've just realised on my Neko Navy run last night getting to Day 5, I didn't use any bomb thing at all, I need to remember that's a thing. I'm using the fat cat now and it's huge to compute that I don't need to worry about the body beyond the little pink dot.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am

Okay, real talk:

Given its built-in octagonal gate, complete lack of stick drift due to the absence of any sort of LS button, super tight deadzone and sturdy build quality, is there any shmup player out there who's playing with the GameCube controller and the WiiU/Switch USB adapter?

I'd love to see that if so.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 9:13 am

Square gate for me, I tried an octagonal one but it felt weird.
Seimitsu buttons, some prefer sanwa but I tried some once and I didn't like them, they're very hair trigger, I was setting off bombs by just resting my finger on the button ready and that was enough for me to rip the damn things out.
KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am
is there any shmup player out there who's playing with the GameCube controller and the WiiU/Switch USB adapter?
Would be worth a go, whatever works best for you is the right tool for the job.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 13#p214513
SnapDragon, the guy who won the official US Ikaruga competition used a bog-standard GameCube pad. Boggles the mind, but it's proof that your controller is less important than how comfortable you are with it.
Oof, that's another thing the folk on that forum got angry with me about, stick drift on the 360 pads, the QA is terrible on those things and they were convinced I was making it up :D

Oh no, actually it was "slow turn" that was my problem, though I have had stick drift too, noticeable in driving games with twitchy controls where you start the race without touching anything and the car starts veering left.
I was playing one of the dead space games, I forget which one and some movements with the right stick, instead of moving quickly, it would go dead slow in certain directions. Got some stick tester app thingy on the 360 and confirmed it, straight in the bin.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 22nd, 2019, 12:37 pm

Michiel K wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 7:04 am
Alex79uk wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 5:23 am
I've been playing Gigawing a lot the last couple of days, I really like it. Shame it never got a modern console release, it seems to have only been ported to the DC from the arcade original.
Giga Wing is absolutely bonkers and crazy fun. Great choice! Who's your character?
Tried them all, but tend to mainly use the default one (whoever that is!)

I've also been playing one of my favorite of the genre - Armed Police Batrider. I always go on about that game, but that's because it was the game that really made me love shmups from playing it endlessly on MAME almost two decades ago now!

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 12:46 pm

There are so many old games I haven't played, I need to fire up mame and play some of the old classics.
clippa wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 8:10 am
Yeah, not being accepted for who you are is awful, we're social animals, and if you aren't being accepted socially, I don't think people realise how much harm they're doing
There's that clip I was trying to find - https://player.vimeo.com/video/239796344#t=1m10s

Nice punch line :D I love Ruby Wax, she was good on the recent adam buxton podcast.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 22nd, 2019, 1:38 pm

Yeah, although she doesn't like Louis Theroux!

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 1:52 pm

Hehe, yeah, that was a bit weird. I don't think he stole her shtick, but I suppose it could be argued that the jobs she would have been offered started going to him. There was a crossover between the beginning of his career making whacky docs and the end of hers.
There's definitely room for both, especially now that Louis has gone all grown up and worthy.

"When Louis met Ruby" make it happen BBC!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 6:56 pm

Hey, um... clippa?

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 7:21 pm

Oh god, this sounds ominous.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 7:28 pm

clippa wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 7:21 pm
Oh god, this sounds ominous.
Not at all, I assure you. :)

clippa wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:36 pm
So, I suppose my score is "2,548,930,400"
You know, that's a cute Ghost Blade score you've got there. Top of the Steam leaderboards and all that.

It'd certainly be a shame if some smelling salts-sniffing nerd were to come along and beat that.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 7:38 pm

Awwww man, and I was having such a good day :D
Me and my big mouth. I said "footballs coming home" and jinxed it. Germany always win.

Well played, owly, well played. Please tell me you blasted it out of the park, I couldn't bear it if you beat me by 100 points or something. Go on, what's the damage?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 7:40 pm

clippa wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 7:38 pm
Please tell me you blasted it out of the park

:P

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 7:52 pm

Worst 4 minutes of my entire life.
I hate it when you get too close to a big enemy or come in at slightly the wrong angle and the games like "nope, no stars for you"
Gutter about that bomb during the boss too, you would have been fine, but I've been there, better safe than sorry.

Really good play, man. I'll see if I can "monkey see, monkey do" tomorrow. I did put it on the other day but I was so rusty and restarting in that game is a pain in the backside, I was missing getting the stars on the first few big enemies and retrying a lot and it just got on my nerves.

This isn't over.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm

Great skills! As ever, you can't be trusted to leave a high score well alone :(

Made the game look more fun than I remember it, too. Just wait til you get round to DDP Resurrection!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 8:06 pm

clippa wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 7:52 pm
Really good play, man.
Thanks!

Gutter about that bomb during the boss too
Yeah, but that wasn't the only mistake. It was a pretty flawed run, all things considered.
  • I could have gotten a sixth bomb through even more thorough use of the Focus Shot.
  • I whiffed at least two of the larger enemies' bonus stars.
  • I let at least a dozen enemies escape in the middle-end section.
  • I failed to collect at least two of the Gold Stars.
  • I didn't farm the boss's mines for a higher combo. (optional)
So yeah, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

This isn't over.
Looking forward to it! :P

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 8:10 pm

Stanshall wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm
Great skills! As ever, you can't be trusted to leave a high score well alone :(
Mate, I got over 10 years of Mercs experience under my belt. I won't be intimidated by some low-rent MADE IN GERMANY™ shmup! :P

Made the game look more fun than I remember it, too. Just wait til you get round to DDP Resurrection!
Ooh, sounds fun! :ugeek:

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 8:16 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 8:06 pm
So yeah, there's still a lot of room for improvement.
Well don't try too hard, will you? It wouldn't be fair to move the goalposts before I've even got my boots on.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 8:52 pm

Okay, I edited some of my jokes. It was all in good fun on my end, but I don't want clippa to take this the wrong way or to come off like a bad sport somehow.

@Stanshall

DDP Resurrection looks fantastic, but I think I will take a break from shmups for the time being and play other things first. I think the next one I'll try out might be M2's Ketsui PS4 port when it arrives, if only because most of my 360 controllers are defective in some way or another. I'm sure you can relate.

clippa wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 8:16 pm
Well don't try too hard, will you? It wouldn't be fair to move the goalposts before I've even got my boots on.
Tell you what, I won't even boot up the game until you've beaten my score so we can have a fair competition.

I'm sure you can do it by focusing on the Tech Orbs this time around. Looking forward to it! :)