Xbox hard drive problems

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Mr Nicey

Xbox hard drive problems

Post by Mr Nicey »

Ok I am in a bit of a pickle right now. My old Xbox elite has been sounding a but unhealthy for months but the other week it decided to freeze at the boot up screen. After much tinkering & testing I narrowed it down to the 250gig HD and after a few days it somehow started working again (after visiting a fix shop that charged me £10 to switch it on).

Anyway since then it has broken again and I have out my old 16gig HD in to play. But there is a bunch of info and save game progress I wouldn't mind pulling off the 250gig HD.

Since it last broke I manage to make a list of all my our purchased XBLA titles (as couldn't find anywhere online that actually told me this). So I am I lu after the save games. If I try using the Microsoft official HD transfer kit the Xbox simply freezes & my ok HD appears as unformatted.

So does anyone know any tricks I can do to get my HD linked to my PC to have a route around and maybe get my save game data? (Long winded question I know but thought its better to get the background sorted) :)
NokkonWud

Re: Xbox hard drive problems

Post by NokkonWud »

Copy saves to either a USB Drive or to the Cloud.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I remember from when i tried to edit a borderlands save, that there is software available that will make xbox save data 'visible' to your pc.
You should be able to pry open the hard drive case and get to the actual drive itself, from there, you can buy an adapter that will turn it into a USB hard drive.

But that's a lot of tinkering and you run the danger of destroying the hard drive for good.
Like nokkonwud said, try and boot with the drive and copy save data to a USB thumb stick
Mr Nicey

Post by Mr Nicey »

Cheers guys - this is how silly I was I didn't realise there was a straight 'copy' function. I presume it is in te 'settings' 'storage' section then you hit a specific button to copy.

I will try getting it running again - is there anyway to link it to my PC without opening it up that anyone knows of?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Not sure on the linking to PC, it can be done as that's how hackers do stuff for game saves and so forth, just not sure on the method.

To copy your saves go to your Memory Settings on the far right, then choose your HDD then games and from there you can choose your games (you have to do it one by one - but you can do the full game in one transfer), highlight the game and press X or Y (I'm not sure which, it tells you at the bottom) and choose 'Copy' or 'Move'. Some games have to be moved (they don't allow a duplicate of that save), most are fine (but given your HDD frailty, I'd just move them all anyway.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

it's also worth noting that you need to be signed in on the profile/user that made the save file in order to move it.
Mr Nicey

Post by Mr Nicey »

Cheers for the input guys I am gena see if I can get it working tomorrow!