Death Stranding

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
fieldy

Re: Death Stranding

Post by fieldy »

The pre orders for the special editions on GAME.co.uk say there already sold out, doers anyone know if they even went live?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

fieldy wrote: May 29th, 2019, 8:21 pm The pre orders for the special editions on GAME.co.uk say there already sold out, doers anyone know if they even went live?
I don't know about GAME, but I haven't seen any activity whatsoever on my end. I would assume that's just a placeholder.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If it hits that date I’ll be astounded.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The collectors edition is available on game.co.uk at the budget price of 174.99!!!!!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Not sure if £175 is worth it for a plastic creepy baby in a jar and a plastic carry case. I’m not sure I could explain why it’s on my shelf as easily as most other paraphernalia.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ I think it's actually rather fantastic. Such an odd piece of paraphernalia. Wouldn't buy it, but I love that it exists.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: May 29th, 2019, 9:09 pm If it hits that date I’ll be astounded.
Looks like they might indeed make good on that announcement:

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/stat ... 7295411200

Quite refreshing, really, to see a AAA game not be delayed 5 times in a row. I hope they aren't gonna be any crunch horror stories around the corner for this one...

I haven't watched any of this year's trailers and my hype is at a very manageable level. I just want to play it. Bring it on.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's the only game I'm looking forward to at the moment.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 26th, 2019, 4:17 pm
Flabyo wrote: May 29th, 2019, 9:09 pm If it hits that date I’ll be astounded.
Looks like they might indeed make good on that announcement:

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/stat ... 7295411200

Quite refreshing, really, to see a AAA game not be delayed 5 times in a row. I hope they aren't gonna be any crunch horror stories around the corner for this one...

I haven't watched any of this year's trailers and my hype is at a very manageable level. I just want to play it. Bring it on.
Out of interest Ksub how much do you know about the game? Have you shut yourself off completely or just avoided the trailers?

For me the trailers are as much of an event as the game sometimes when it comes to Kojima and I don’t think they’re much of a spoiler usually.

I completely understand why you’re trying to avoid them as they are sending my expectations up with every watch. If they deliver it will be fantastic. Imagine MGS5 without the Konami ball and chain?!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: September 26th, 2019, 6:55 pm Out of interest Ksub how much do you know about the game? Have you shut yourself off completely or just avoided the trailers?

For me the trailers are as much of an event as the game sometimes when it comes to Kojima and I don’t think they’re much of a spoiler usually.

I completely understand why you’re trying to avoid them as they are sending my expectations up with every watch. If they deliver it will be fantastic. Imagine MGS5 without the Konami ball and chain?!

I haven't watched any of the trailers since the first two (or three, maybe?) and I don't recall reading any articles about the game lately. The last trailer I watched was the first that started to show gameplay footage, mostly consisting of walking, climbing and the main character sinking into the ground at the end. I know very little about the game apart from the Hollywood cast, the "dimension-switching" villains and that the gameplay might be based on some sort of cooperative online elements (I remember Kojima's "ropes" analogy).

I understand your point about the trailers being an event and an integral part of the experience in their own right, but I wanted to keep my expectations in check this time around in order to avoid being disappointed again. I have an excellent memory which can be an issue in cases like these. There's no way I could have watched any of the other trailers and forgotten about them by the time the game came out. Even out of context, there are still elements such as cinematography or the delivery of certain lines that I would rather experience for the first time when playing the game. The MGSV trailers indirectly spoiled a lot of stuff that I think should have better remained secret, for example.

And it's not just MGSV. Whenever I get caught up in a game's hype cycle, I often end up regretting it, unfortunately. The DMCV trailers showed half the game and I found the game's story to be rather disappointing afterwards, not to mention being already familiar with most of the mechanical options. Meanwhile, I bought Dark Souls 3 one entire year after its original release without knowing anything about it and ended up rating it significantly higher than most other long-time series fans. I'm currently having a great time with AI:TSF after having gone on a media blackout after the initial announcement, etc...

I think it's simply healthier to assume that nothing Kojima does from now on will ever be able to reach the, uhm... himalayan heights of MGS3 for me. That way I can go into Death Stranding with an open mind. Hopefully it surprises me!

Since you've seen so much of the promotional material, is there anything in particular you think I should know about beforehand? If so: I trust your judgment, let's hear it. :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Nothing in particular of note to let you know about.

I have an excellent memory too but in my case that means I will be looking forward to the moments in the trailers that intrigued me rather than viewing them as spoilers. There’s so much mystery and much is left to interpretation. Whoever edits his trailers is a genius!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I am indeed astounded they’ve hit their date.

There really is a first time for everything.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

After just reminding myself I bought MGS V at launch and still not finishing it and the fact Jedi Fallen Order is out the week after I am going to wait and add it to my list from Santa.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’ve just preordered the death stranding special edition ps4 pro. I still have my launch day ps4 which is still fine but I have been meaning to upgrade for a while and this was the gentle nudge I needed.

I have the limited edition package preordered also which means 500+ In one go. Ouch! Today’s trailer gave me goosebumps. Excited.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I think you'll defo notice the difference with a 4K telly but even if not, I found that stuff seemed smoother at 1080p even if the resolution were no different. Enjoy!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Reading the reviews this morning and while there’s a lot of disagreement on whether it’s actually any good, there is one thing they all agree on:

It’s absolutely 100% a Kojima game. Incomprehensible plot, uncomfortable depiction of female characters, game mechanics that don’t feel like they fit together... all present and correct.

I’m sure I’ll get to it eventually.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Apparently the review embargo conditions for this state that only reviewers that complete the game are allowed to publish reviews.

Edge have said that they won’t be a review in this months issue because, and I quote:
There's no review of Death Stranding in the next issue of Edge because the embargo insisted we finish the game before we could review it. Print deadline was a factor, but we ran out of enthusiasm long before we ran out of time.
The reviews are all over the shop. There’s plenty of 9s and 10s out there too (Eurogamer give it a ‘recommend’, but the review text doesn’t seem to gel with that)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Interesting. I think I'm going to avoid reading too much. I know I want to play it and will do in a few months when it's cheap.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I love that Edge quote 😄.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There are a number of 6-7 scores and quite a lot of 8s and 9s. The average is currently around 86%.

Looks like EDGE would have given a 4 or similar, but otherwise there aren’t any 5 or below that I’ve seen:
https://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/184428 ... icles.html