All Things Jurassic Park

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
KissMammal

Re: All Things Jurassic Park

Post by KissMammal »

I heard a rumour once that Spielberg was disinterested in doing a JP sequel, and was very preoccupied with Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan during production of The Lost World, so largely delegated much of the actual shooting and direction to the second unit, which honestly makes a lot of sense given how uneven that film is.

The Lost World was actually the film that introduced me to the phrase 'plot hole' because of the scene where the ship carrying the T Rex arrives in San Diego with all of the crew dead, despite the T Rex still being secured in the hold. Bit of a head-scratcher, that one...

As I understand it, the mainland ending was tacked on at the last minute in an attempt to preemptively head off the '98 Godzilla (which itself is kind of a rip off of Jurassic Park in some ways).
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I recently re-read the books last year and was a bit surprised by how annoying I found Malcolm this time around. As kid, I was fascinated by him in the book, but, now, I have less patience for his holier than thou preaching. I think Jeff Goldblum brought the right amount of quick to the character that helped balance the character's self-righteousness.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Speaking of Malcolm, on my last rewatch over Christmas I really picked up on the dynamic between Malcolm and Grant, something i'd never really noticed before. I'd always assumed that when Malcolm tries the flare trick with the T Rex he's just showing off, but it's actually really well set up on a character level during the first act.

Initially, Malcolm comes across as very cocky and is quite dismissive towards Grant. He straight away tries to hit on Ellie, but is then surprised to discover that she is in a relationship with Grant, and what's more, Grant clearly doesn't consider him a threat.

There's a nice moment later when Grant fills his canteen with rain water by leaving it on the roof of the jeep. He takes a swig then offers it to Malcolm, who sheepishly accepts. It's a very subtle little moment, but it nicely establishes Grant as the more self-assured outdoorsman, and that Malcolm now feels a little intimidated by him. And this is the reason that Malcolm runs at the T Rex with the flare - he's trying to be like Grant, and in the process screws things up for everyone.

Sorry if this is all super obvious - but sometimes you've seen a film so many times that its only when you watch it with someone new that you come to it with fresh eyes and notice these little things.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

KissMammal wrote: June 7th, 2019, 1:43 am Speaking of Malcolm, on my last rewatch over Christmas...
Not to negate your whole post, but I did my rewatch of the series last Christmas too! There WAS magic in the air!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Speaking of Jurassic Park who here isn''t still waiting for a good Jurassic Park Game?

The first time I played Far Cry 3 I thought wow, imagine if this was set in Jurassic Park. OBviously not with the same story but the way that different areas of the map are inhabited by different animals and you could have park workers trapped in different areas of the park that give you missions. I'm not sure there would be enough to fill out an entire game but I would love to be able to actually explore the park.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

duskvstweak wrote: June 7th, 2019, 2:10 am
KissMammal wrote: June 7th, 2019, 1:43 am Speaking of Malcolm, on my last rewatch over Christmas...
Not to negate your whole post, but I did my rewatch of the series last Christmas too! There WAS magic in the air!
We watched it with my wife's 13 year old niece - she was a bit scared but loved it. 'Sam Niell reluctantly looks after kids' double bill of Jurassic Park and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

FemalePheromones wrote: June 7th, 2019, 7:10 am Speaking of Jurassic Park who here isn''t still waiting for a good Jurassic Park Game?
I have a lot of fondness for the SNES Jurassic Park game.

It's one drawback was that it didn't have a save feature, meaning you had to complete the entire thing in one sitting (or leave your SNES on overnight, which I did...!)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

The arcade games have been fun, as have the Operation Genesis and Evolution, but I'm still waiting for something really exciting. Dino Crisis is pretty close.

Actually, as a kid, I LOVED the PS1 Lost World game but never beat the thing. I just liked playing as the dinosaurs and roaring.
FemalePheromones

Actually I completely forgot about the Megadrive games which I still ply from time to time on an emulator but really I mean a modern one.

I actually had Operation Genesis as part of the bundle with my OG Xbox but couldn't get on with it with a controller. Same reason I haven't even looked at the latest one.

Dino Crisis is a hell of a shout though. I'm hoping Capcom either bring that IP back or do a RE2 style remake.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm currently playing Dino Crisis on my Vita. I wouldn't really say it's stood the test of time so well. Certainly nowhere near as well as Resi 1-3, anyway.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Yeah, I haven't gone back to it in a long time, so I'm not surprised the mechanics are rusty. But, it's feels like a "truer" Jurassic Park game compared to some of the 2D games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I will say though, I am enjoying it. The puzzles are shite, the acting is dreadful and the movement is wonky, but it's still a fun game.

It really suffers from that absurd Resident Evil planning logic. I mean, why on earth would you have a crane in a facility that could only be operated via a puzzle. :lol:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Oh. This is so good. Makes me a happy guy.
And, watch the credits.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I saw that - it’s pretty cool.

But is there an overarching reason for it, is it a series of shorts, or is it setting up the theme/world for another main line film ??
FemalePheromones

ThirdMan wrote: September 17th, 2019, 10:36 am Serious question, is Fallen Kingdom worth watching?
Yes but don't expect too much.
FemalePheromones

It had a pretty bad identity crisis but I don't think it's as bad as people seem to make out. As much as I wouldn't watch it again in a hurry I definitely would watch it again some time in the future.

It kind of leads right into that Battle at Big Rock film too.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Honestly, I enjoyed Fallen Kingdom more on the rewatches than the initial viewing. And, that first five minutes...goodness. Play that on loop at my funeral, please.

As far as I know, Battle at Big Rock is just a promotional piece for the next film, not a series or anything. Maybe it was trying to give the general audience an idea of what to expect, since Fallen Kingdom has those mixed reviews.

There's a lot of Lost World being referenced in that video, too.
FemalePheromones

It actually gives me hope for the next film to be honest. It's about time we had an actual Jurassic World. (Jurassic certain-parts-of-America?)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

If the movies want to become a live action version of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, I won't complain!

Heck, I wrote a blog about that a while ago. And, I still stand by it!

https://ericmikols.com/2017/08/09/its-t ... -go-crazy/
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Jeff Goldbum, Sam Neill and Laura Dern coming back for Jurassic World 3!
http://collider.com/jurassic-world-3-la ... -goldblum/

Neat!

I'm of two minds. I don't need the new movies to be constant references to the past films. Give me something new...but with dinosaurs!

On the other hand, turn these movies into the Fast and Furious and bring back Vince Vaughan from Lost World and Billy from Jurassic Park 3! Go nuts!